Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Firstly, please give GA more time. It's a pretty good state.

I thought no one could miss NoVA that much but I sorta feel for you. I moved to NoVA from Hampton, VA and i was kinda tired of Hampton (nearly 14 years there.) After 3 1/2 years here i've really realized that Hampton was a big part of my life and there are some things you'll appericate with every place you will live. One thing i may always appericate about NoVA is the diversity and seeing that everybody aint the same.

Now back to reality, i still want to get the h out of NoVA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 06:20 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Thanks everyone for the great replies. You helped a lot, especially FairfaxMom because she reminded me so much of how I felt when I first moved to Nova from Southern California.

Yes, believe it or not someone like me who is so rah-rah-rah about Nova (now ) once felt out of place and not especially thrilled to be in Virginia. It took a few years to really feel comfortable, and then I fell deeply in love with the place. I'm sure the same thing will happen here.

Another funny thing is that the longer you stay in a place the more you discover hidden treasures. My favorite places in Nova were places people shared with me after I had been there awhile. I'm sure that will happen here, too.

It's probably a little more challenging this time around because last time I had my work to keep me busy. I'm adjusting to both a move and retirement! But it's ok, I just have to remember to give it time and especially to get out more and explore. Spring has just started appearing here in the mountains, too... and it's amazing how that can cheer me up and make things look different. I have to admit it is pretty here, in its own way. Like the previous poster pointed out, we chose to move here for a reason, just like we chose to move to Virginia for a reason. There are things here to love, we just have to give it time.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:28 AM

798 posts, read 2,728,318 times
That's the spirit normie! You are so correct about the double adjustment of retirement and relocation but spring is in the air! Enjoy it!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:12 PM

45 posts, read 196,138 times
I feel for your with your homesickness. I know you realize objectively that there are worse things in the world than feeling homesick, but it's still hard.

Please try to hang in there with Georgia. Spring is coming really, really soon, and there is no place I've ever been that is more beautiful in springtime than Georgia - azaleas blooming, all kinds of flowers everywhere, truly stunning. Warm air, soft on your skin - it's the best.

We moved to NoVa from Georgia, and I have spent 10 years feeling mildy homesick for where you are now! If you have lived in NoVa for a long time, or never lived anywhere else, it's hard to see it's peculiarities. Coming here from the south felt like a different planet for a while. Maybe you feel the same in reverse.

I really don't think you will find many places with nicer or friendlier folks than Georgia. I really hope you meet a few soon just to lift your spirits and give you hope. They may talk a little differently, but their hearts are in the right place.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 14,135 times
Boy did u hit it right.

Moved here to NOVA from Socal 5 years ago.

Counting the seconds, till we get to escape, have not made one friend and have been sued by one neighbor and cursed out by the other.

Back in California my neighbors would acutally be nice to me. mmmmm. what a concept

Old 03-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1pasty View Post
Boy did u hit it right.

Moved here to NOVA from Socal 5 years ago.

Counting the seconds, till we get to escape, have not made one friend and have been sued by one neighbor and cursed out by the other.

Back in California my neighbors would acutally be nice to me. mmmmm. what a concept
Thanks for the compliment, but I think we had very different experiences. My time in Virginia was very enjoyable. I had plenty of friends and was lucky enough to have great neighbors. I'm sorry your experience was unhappy--I wish you the best of luck with your escape and hope you find a place you like better.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentsto3 View Post
Please try to hang in there with Georgia. Spring is coming really, really soon, and there is no place I've ever been that is more beautiful in springtime than Georgia - azaleas blooming, all kinds of flowers everywhere, truly stunning. Warm air, soft on your skin - it's the best.

We moved to NoVa from Georgia, and I have spent 10 years feeling mildy homesick for where you are now! If you have lived in NoVa for a long time, or never lived anywhere else, it's hard to see it's peculiarities. Coming here from the south felt like a different planet for a while. Maybe you feel the same in reverse.

I really don't think you will find many places with nicer or friendlier folks than Georgia. I really hope you meet a few soon just to lift your spirits and give you hope. They may talk a little differently, but their hearts are in the right place.
What a nice post! As you predicted, spring has arrived and it's amazing what a difference that makes. Overnight everything has changed. Trees that seemed scraggly and forlorn just last week have become stunning. Daffodills and other flowers have opened, and almost on cue the songbirds have arrived. Neighbors are appearing up and down the street and now that they aren't hurrying away from the weather they have turned out to be pretty friendly. What a difference a little spring weather can make.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:55 PM

45 posts, read 196,138 times
Yeah! for you! So glad to hear things are looking up. Maybe there is some nice neighbor there to take a long walk with and enjoy the budding springtime. You never know when some one else out there needs a new friend as much as you do.
Best wishes!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
Normie - do you have a dog? I notice that there are always friendly people to meet walking a dog or going to a dog park. If I didnt have little kids to entertain I would be at the dog park all the time. Animal people are usually nice.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Normie - do you have a dog? I notice that there are always friendly people to meet walking a dog or going to a dog park. If I didnt have little kids to entertain I would be at the dog park all the time. Animal people are usually nice.
Hmmm... we have a dog park here, and cat who gets along with dogs.... wonder what would happen if I tried to take him there? Well, at least I would get some exercise!

Just kidding, I'd never take the cat to a dog park. For one thing, I could never put a leash on him... but I do like just going there to hang out. There is something so majestic about watching a dog run across the field. I can watch them chase frisbees all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia