Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which truck company in NOVA, Budget, Uhaul, Penske, other
UHaul 1 100.00%
Budget 0 0%
Penske 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 PM

17 posts, read 11,842 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am making a one way move to ATL from DC, and need some advise planning. Does it matter on which location/local office I rent from?

How much stuff: 1 to 2.5 bed room apt.

I am looking for advise on:

1) Where to get good pricing on a reliable truck to move (does rental cost vary in diff. local offices?)
2) Which truck company (currently leaning to budget)
3) How much should I budget ~640 miles
4) Truck size & boxes: Where are cheap moving boxes? How many would i need for a 2 bed room apt
5) Odd question, I have two 4x4, how can I tow them, one has a hitch!

thanks
Metty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM

857 posts, read 843,156 times
Look at each company and compare the daily and mileage rates, as well as the charge for what I assume is a one way move. I know the above-listed companies vary in their rates, just do not remember by how much without looking it up. You can then calculate the daily rate and mileage. You can get boxes at either Lowe's/Home Depot or at any moving place; do compare the prices as I know they differ quite a bit. You could get a car dolly for towing, but towing both at the same time may not be feasible. You may have to ship one or drive it down separately. Also, the boxes estimate - not sure, but you can buy more than you need and then bring them back for a refund; this would probably be easier through Lowe's or Home Depot vs. an independent place since you can do that in Atlanta vs. having to come back.

P.S. If I am not mistaken, Penske is the most expensive one. I usually go with UHaul, so it would be that or Budget if it were me.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,583 times
Costs can vary dramatically depending on if you are going from a high need to a low need area. Perhaps one company really needs trucks in Atlanta and one doesn't. It could be a vastly different price.

Also, especially with a trip of this length, make sure you get the smallest truck possible. The problem is you can reserve one and they may give you something larger the day of. Be aware of this and plan your fuel costs accordingly. The price may even be better to have a moving company do it.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:04 AM

17 posts, read 11,842 times
@MedvedActual @Ffxdata thanks I am calling around.

Wish I could get bigger boxes than the 24x18 - was hoping for 36"x 36 x 36 or 24 any ideas where I can get that size. The wardrobe boxes are bigger, we do not need the hangers but each is 12 to 18$!!

Old 04-20-2017, 10:16 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
1) Where to get good pricing on a reliable truck to move (does rental cost vary in diff. local offices?) Call around to different places, or you can do online quotes for many of the big companies - Budget, Uhaul, Penske, etc.

The cheapest one.

The company can probably give you an estimate for gas mileage on those things. So calculate gas, meals, an overnight stay if you don't anticipate making the drive in one day. Also, be sure to buy/bring a combination or pad lock for the truck. Rental companies don't provide those and the door to the cargo hold doesn't lock, so to protect your stuff, you should get one.

4) Truck size & boxes: Where are cheap moving boxes? How many would i need for a 2 bed room apt
We rented the 12' truck when we moved our 2 bedroom apartment. But it depends on how much stuff and big furniture you have. Check with a couple of local grocery stores and ask them if they will set aside some boxes the next time they unload stock. You can get those for free.

You can rent a carrier to tow behind the truck but you'll be able to only tow one vehicle. And if you're not accustomed to driving a big truck and towing a vehicle, be very careful and take your time. It can get tricky. Especially making turns into parking lots and such.

We had a moving truck and two vehicles, so we asked a friend to drive one of our cars. Husband drove the truck, I drove my car, and the friend drove husband's car. When we reached our destination, we paid for the return flight home for our friend.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 PM

857 posts, read 843,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metron View Post
@MedvedActual @Ffxdata thanks I am calling around.

Wish I could get bigger boxes than the 24x18 - was hoping for 36"x 36 x 36 or 24 any ideas where I can get that size. The wardrobe boxes are bigger, we do not need the hangers but each is 12 to 18$!!

Check Lowe's or Home Depot for other sizes; been a while since I looked. No luck on bigger boxes at a moving store?

Old 04-20-2017, 12:10 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times
Also inquire as to how they will protect your property against bed bugs, especially your mattresses and box springs and chairs/couches , find out how you can protect them yourself.

Big problems with moving vans. When you unload check every single box before putting anything away.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:45 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,440,060 times
If you don't mind smaller boxes, try the local ABC store. Then they're free.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:29 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
The first time we moved, I ordered a moving kit from Uline.

https://www.uline.com/BL_7907/Moving-Kits

Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 AM

153 posts, read 173,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metron View Post
Hello,

I am making a one way move to ATL from DC, and need some advise planning. Does it matter on which location/local office I rent from?

How much stuff: 1 to 2.5 bed room apt.

I am looking for advise on:

1) Where to get good pricing on a reliable truck to move (does rental cost vary in diff. local offices?)

thanks
Metty
Have you thought about using ABF Relocubes or PODS? The cost is comparable without the hassle (and added expense) of driving a truck between both locations. Of course, the 4x4s might be a challenge if you can't tow them with your own vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: