Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 8,355 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the area this summer and will be commuting to NE DC (CUA). I'm committed to living in Virginia. I know the commutes are rough, but I'm struggling to weigh the trade-offs between what seems like a desirable neighborhood (Del Ray) with the convenience of having metro as an alternative to car commuting (Crystal City). For those who live in and/or know the area well, I have two questions.

Noise - Since I last lived in the DC area, flight patterns have changed and everyone is remarking on the DCA/military helicopter noise. What is the plane noise like in Crystal City vs Del Ray? I'm a light sleeper and sometimes work from home. Finding a quiet place is extremely important to me. I've read elsewhere on the forum that there is a lot of helicopter noise in Crystal City. What's the story in Del Ray? Old Town seems to have a real problem with airport traffic; I'm wondering if that noise travels west to similarly impact Del Ray.

Commute - I strongly prefer a safe, quiet, walkable neighborhood with some greenery, coffee shops, easy access to groceries, etc. Del Ray looks like it checks a lot of boxes. Leaving aside whether the PY Metro will ever get built, I'm trying to weigh the benefit of a great neighborhood against no alternative to car commuting. During peak hours, it looks like 45 minutes heavy traffic road commute (yuck). By contrast, Crystal City would be the same time via Metro, assuming both yellow/red lines were functional and on time (a huge assumption given the state of metro, I realize). I may not take metro every day, but I like having the option of not driving. At the same time, Crystal City seems more like a cement corporate park. Just how awful is the car commute? I wouldn't have to worry about it in summers or during winter break, but still several days/week during academic year.

Thanks so much for any insights!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 12:03 PM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
FWIW, the Braddock Road metro stop is close to Del Ray and depending on where you live in Del Ray - is walkable. Also, I don't find the airplane noise to be all that noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwoodgal View Post
Commute - I strongly prefer a safe, quiet, walkable neighborhood with some greenery, coffee shops, easy access to groceries, etc. Del Ray looks like it checks a lot of boxes.
Del Ray checks all these boxes. I would caution that if you don't care for being around kids or dogs, then don't choose Del Ray. The neighborhood is overrun with both.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:18 PM

Thanks HokieFan. I love kids and dogs, as long as my home itself is quiet. But it's great to connect with people and animals when walking out for coffee or dinner in the evening.

I had thought about Braddock Road Metro, but was concerned about safety there after dark. I'm street smart and don't go out really late at night. At the same time, I don't want to worry about this if I attend an evening DC event. Do you think the safety concerns I've read about are overblown?

Old 04-29-2017, 02:28 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,225,940 times
Braddock Road Metro is relatively close to Del Ray; obviously where you would be in Del Ray plays a part in just how close (whether you are more south end versus north end). A bicycle would make it a cinch. I wouldn't be concerned about safety at night, I've come home from there quite late after flights at National (like midnight) even back before the development around the 7-11 and Yates Corner improved it. Issues of crime around Braddock have centered around the public housing areas around Madison and Montgomery streets; I haven't heard of problems at the station itself or in the stretch between it and Mt Vernon Ave.

Bear in mind that railroad noise is present, both Metrorail but moreso freight rail. I'm in Rosemont and can hear the trains and the rumbling even shakes my house somewhat, and I'm not right by the tracks.

I don't notice airplane noise much and hardly ever helicopters. Sometimes when it's overcast it seems the planes are louder.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:32 PM

Wow, that is really helpful robobobbo. Thank you! I just looked up Rosemont, and I'm amazed you get the train noise there. If I concentrated on Potomac West (say, around Warwick Village, Del Ray Central Apts, etc.), do you think there would still be train noise? I'd lose the metro option, but I'd be willing to forgo that for the quiet if necessary.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:20 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,027 times
Why Crystal City? Thats literally probably the last neighborhood in Arlington I would choose to live in. If you like soviet style architecture, thats the hood for you.

I wouldnt worry about plane/helicopter noise. There are restrictions on that and very rarely do I hear a police helicopter late at night.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:10 AM

Thanks gomason. Yeah, I'm not excited about Crystal City and will probably just cross if off my list. But I find commuting incredibly taxing, and that happens to be the easiest NoVa commute to my workplace. Plus, I could use metro as a back-up means of getting to work or into DC for events.

If I could find a quiet little place in Del Ray, it would be a bit longer commute, but happier living situation overall, even without a metro. So that's probably what I'll do.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:06 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,225,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwoodgal View Post
Wow, that is really helpful robobobbo. Thank you! I just looked up Rosemont, and I'm amazed you get the train noise there. If I concentrated on Potomac West (say, around Warwick Village, Del Ray Central Apts, etc.), do you think there would still be train noise? I'd lose the metro option, but I'd be willing to forgo that for the quiet if necessary.
I don't know since I'm not staying around those places. I should point out that train noise isn't frequent; in fact, after writing my post I realized I haven't heard any trains in a while. None this weekend (not saying none went by, but that I didn't hear any). I don't want to give the impression that it's a constant bother, but wanted you to be aware of it. There have been times when they did track work when the trains had to blast their horns frequently when coming through (a safety law, I believe) but that was just for a period of a few days in a row. It's not a constant irritant.

Being on the west side of Mt Vernon Ave and/or being more northerly would put more distance between you and the tracks. Anything close to Rt 1 is obviously going to be more susceptible to train noise.

I'm a light sleeper, too. Ear plugs help (I'm near a busy road).

Old 04-30-2017, 01:20 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,583 times
I have a friend who has lived in Del Ray for a long time and had to move apartments because a flight change led to near constant noise in the mornings. She is now in a house in Del Ray without the issue.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:36 PM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I have a friend who has lived in Del Ray for a long time and had to move apartments because a flight change led to near constant noise in the mornings. She is now in a house in Del Ray without the issue.
It would be helpful to OP if you would say which apartment complex, and then perhaps which general part of Del Ray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: