U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 01:17 PM

650 posts, read 365,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post

Local traffic is not a problem as long as you stay away from Reston Parkway at rush hour....
Ugh. This^^^^^ I used to work in Reston, and couldn't stand the Reston Parkway at ANY time. Stoplights every 20 feet. Am SO glad I no longer work in Reston....

--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 09:36 AM

29 posts, read 22,348 times
Hope I can jump in here to offer my thoughts on Reston and the visits I've done. We will be moving to the area next year and had Reston, Burke, and Alexandria picked out. After visits, readings, drive bys and what not, we picked Reston. We visited the schools and talked to families, and kids working in the strip malls, asking them if they liked South Lakes, Robinson in Burke, and I believe TC Williams in Alex. We ruled out Alexandria for high schoolers and then Burke being nice and priced for us, it was too far out. Reston, with the new metro line makes DC doable. We'll have one in high school the other is in college, with 2 dogs and looking at townhomes. We've found prices to be very reasonable on the South Lakes side and even the newer properties on the North can be had for 400-500.

We just liked the feel Reston has and talking with a couple of the teachers at SL High, it seems some prior students have come back to the area and are teaching there. Talk about creds for that area!

I'll commute, have done it before overseas and there is no bad weather, just bad clothes We are excited, maybe not on the monies we'll be spending but feel we have a place to call home for x number of years

Old 05-29-2017, 10:53 AM

6 posts, read 8,150 times
Quote:
I just checked out the Buttermilk Lane house online and it looks very nice.

Have you looked at the house at 1309 Pavilion Club Way? It is a nice contemporary, but has almost no lot. I have a friend who lives in the development and they are really nice houses in a convenient location. Lawn care is included in the cluster dues.

The house on Tanbark still has a sign out front indicating it is coming soon. It was expected to come on the market before last weekend. The neighborhood grapevine says that they got an offer before it went on the market.
Aaaargh. Have been keeping an eye out for the Tanbark house. Thanks for the update. A new one just came up on Farrier. Hoping that the road noise off of Lawyers is not too bad.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tif626 View Post
OP, this will be a bit rambly, but here goes:

I grew up in Reston and have lived here for most (took a brief sojourn to Tampa and Baltimore) of my life. I always thought that I would inherit the house that I grew up in, but my dad sold it when I was 24 (and not in any way, shape or form close to being responsible enough to buy a house). Fast forward to this year; my husband and I spent most of the late winter/early spring looking for a house to buy and I kept saying "Man, I wish I could buy my old house. I wish it would come back on the market." We eventually found one we both liked and closed on May 5th. TWO WEEKS LATER, my old house went up for sale. I just went with my baby to see it this morning. He'll have no recollection of it, but I thought it was important to show him. I have a billion memories there and I cried like a baby when I got back in my car. I am obviously biased, but you should buy this house:
https://www.redfin.com/VA/Reston/147...0/home/9241942

It's a great house and a great neighborhood, especially for kids. When I was younger (and yeah, this was decades ago, so things may have changed), I ran around with my friends and collected fireflies, played flashlight tag, went "creeking", etc. I know I don't live there anymore and I don't really have a say in the matter, but if I had a choice, I would want it to go to someone that likes the Reston vibe, paths, trees, etc., and that will take good care of it. Plus, maybe I can have visitation rights, lol!
I cried like a baby just reading this post! Man, I want exactly that kind of childhood for my kids. I think the house is a bit too small for us (3 kids) but I totally get how sad it must have been. here's hoping your new house provides a wonderful childhood for your kiddos. Bast of luck.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:09 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,526,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Mom View Post
Aaaargh. Have been keeping an eye out for the Tanbark house. Thanks for the update. A new one just came up on Farrier. Hoping that the road noise off of Lawyers is not too bad.
I just checked out the Farrier house. That house has been on and off the market a few times without selling. Note they are also trying to rent it furnished. I don't know what the deal is with it and can't remember what it was listed at before.

No need to worry about road noise from Lawyers Road.

Have you checked out the house on Pinoak? MLS says 3 days on market - but is has been relisted by the same broker, so it is really 47 days on market. I think the price issue is that it is the biggest house on the street and the kitchen isn't exactly spectacular. Probably will end up selling for $725-750K as that is all the neighborhood will really support.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:44 PM

813 posts, read 1,105,164 times
Quote:
I just checked out the Farrier house. That house has been on and off the market a few times without selling. Note they are also trying to rent it furnished. I don't know what the deal is with it and can't remember what it was listed at before.

No need to worry about road noise from Lawyers Road.

Have you checked out the house on Pinoak? MLS says 3 days on market - but is has been relisted by the same broker, so it is really 47 days on market. I think the price issue is that it is the biggest house on the street and the kitchen isn't exactly spectacular. Probably will end up selling for $725-750K as that is all the neighborhood will really support.
OK, if you're referring to 2524 Pinoak, this is getting slightly unreal...that was the house my wife and I lived in, as renters, in the late 1990s when we came back from an overseas tour. Eerie!

It's a huge house, with lots of floor to ceiling windows that don't open (unless something's changed) and very modernistic in style. Agree on your description of the kitchen; it is pretty small compared to the overall house size. The house was way too big for just my wife and myself (our cat had a floor all to himself), which was why we didn't buy it when our lease was ending and it came on the market. The atmosphere on the street was very friendly back then, and I believe still is today, with, for example, an annual Halloween party.

As for road noise from Lawyers, I'm not quite sure I'd say "no need to worry". It will depend on how close your house is to it, how sensitive you are to noise, and how soundproof your windows are. Our current house backs up to Lawyers Road (about 75 feet away), and although I tend to be sensitive to noise, the sound of traffic is for the most part more of a dull hum/white noise that doesn't bother me.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
OK, if you're referring to 2524 Pinoak, this is getting slightly unreal...that was the house my wife and I lived in, as renters, in the late 1990s when we came back from an overseas tour. Eerie!

It's a huge house, with lots of floor to ceiling windows that don't open (unless something's changed) and very modernistic in style. Agree on your description of the kitchen; it is pretty small compared to the overall house size. The house was way too big for just my wife and myself (our cat had a floor all to himself), which was why we didn't buy it when our lease was ending and it came on the market. The atmosphere on the street was very friendly back then, and I believe still is today, with, for example, an annual Halloween party.
Yes - I was referring to 2524 Pinoak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
As for road noise from Lawyers, I'm not quite sure I'd say "no need to worry". It will depend on how close your house is to it, how sensitive you are to noise, and how soundproof your windows are. Our current house backs up to Lawyers Road (about 75 feet away), and although I tend to be sensitive to noise, the sound of traffic is for the most part more of a dull hum/white noise that doesn't bother me.
My comment "no need to worry" on Lawyers road traffic was with respect to the house on Farrier that is on the north side of Farrier with a row of houses across the street between the house and Lawyers Road. I agree that houses backing up to Lawyers may have a bit of a road noise issue - but it is not like Lawyers Road is a full of cars 24/7. I drive Lawyers often and usually only see traffic during normal rush hours and the catholic church rush.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:28 PM

12,835 posts, read 6,160,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tif626 View Post
OP, this will be a bit rambly, but here goes:

I grew up in Reston and have lived here for most (took a brief sojourn to Tampa and Baltimore) of my life. I always thought that I would inherit the house that I grew up in, but my dad sold it when I was 24 (and not in any way, shape or form close to being responsible enough to buy a house). Fast forward to this year; my husband and I spent most of the late winter/early spring looking for a house to buy and I kept saying "Man, I wish I could buy my old house. I wish it would come back on the market." We eventually found one we both liked and closed on May 5th. TWO WEEKS LATER, my old house went up for sale. I just went with my baby to see it this morning. He'll have no recollection of it, but I thought it was important to show him. I have a billion memories there and I cried like a baby when I got back in my car. I am obviously biased, but you should buy this house:
https://www.redfin.com/VA/Reston/147...0/home/9241942

It's a great house and a great neighborhood, especially for kids. When I was younger (and yeah, this was decades ago, so things may have changed), I ran around with my friends and collected fireflies, played flashlight tag, went "creeking", etc. I know I don't live there anymore and I don't really have a say in the matter, but if I had a choice, I would want it to go to someone that likes the Reston vibe, paths, trees, etc., and that will take good care of it. Plus, maybe I can have visitation rights, lol!
I liked your story^^^^

We moved to Reston in 1981 into an apartment in the Sycamores. Reston was so much different then. It still had lots of empty land in between the clusters. There was a Giant in the Tall Oaks shopping center. The one thing that drew us to Reston --- the commuter buses run by Metro. When I worked on K Street, I just about had door-to-door service. You got to know people as they were on the same bus as you in the morning and the same thing at night. Some of them used to drive to work occasionally and if they needed an extra person to use 66, they would go by the bus stops in DC. If they recognized you, you would get a free ride home. Metro killed the commuter buses when the orange line extended out to Vienna. That was a shame.

Living in Reston was the first place we ever lived in where streetlights and sidewalks were scarce. Reston loved to advertise itself as being walkable but...you had to stick to the paths, for the most part.

Our daughter was born 4 years later and that apartment in the Sycamores was her first home. A couple of years later, we were ready to buy a starter home and tried to find one in Reston. All that were in our price range weren't in the best areas or were in poor condition. We had to give up on the idea of living there and ended up in LoCo.

Reston has changed sooo much since then and I definitely have mixed feelings about it. Occasionally, we drive up North Shore Drive. After years had passed, we noticed all the cars parked on it which told us that the townhouses and apartments along that road had become overcrowded. Yet, OTOH, we've come to like Reston Town Center---despite the recent weekday parking issues.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:59 AM

Went to see 2524 Pinoak yesterday. It's quite a house. Nice big footprint, interesting layout, and plenty of space for three kids. I even like the unusual fireplace / divider wall in the family room. Looks like something from the Flintstones house, which I kind of dig. Some of the finishes are very nice but others look neglected and many of the floors on the top level slope pretty badly, which produced a vertigo effect in me and my husband.

As noted above, most of the windows don't open and those that do tilt out rather than opening all the way. One of the rooms has a sliding glass door that opens onto the roof, but there's no railing. Seemed kind of dangerous.

Overall, it comes across as awesome but in need of about $50k in updates and repairs. We'd pay $680 tops.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Mom View Post
Overall, it comes across as awesome but in need of about $50k in updates and repairs. We'd pay $680 tops.
This house is a bit of an odd ball. $680K is below the current assessed value of $735K. The house last sold for $675K in 2005 when it was assessment for $682K. 2005 was a peak in the real estate market in Reston and houses were usually selling in a matter of days for prices significantly above assessed values.

http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/ffxca...1&LMparent=138

Last edited by JfromReston; 05-30-2017 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Changed current assessed value. Originally put in 2016 not 2017
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia