U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,576 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the D.C. area and we have narrowed our search down to Vienna or Falls Church (there was a similar post on here from 2009 but I wanted to see if anyone had any updates). It seems like both towns are very nice with Vienna having slightly better school rankings. We have a 10 year old, 8 year old and 1 year old. I am in sales and will have a territory mainly inside the495 loop and my husband will be taking the metro into the city.
I was just curious if anyone had any insight on the overall differences in the towns or the good and bad points of each. Thank you for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 11:10 PM

313 posts, read 458,117 times
They're both very good places to be. Each has lots of traffic to deal with. I'd consider Vienna more family friendly with all of its parks and it's also more walkable than Falls Church tho I'm sure you'll find others who say differently. Welcome to the area!

Old 05-19-2017, 05:23 AM

4,787 posts, read 2,855,816 times
I do not think you can go wrong but if you have the money to do it right I would personally go Falls Church.

The area is booming and slightly easier commute.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:20 AM

529 posts, read 538,675 times
Both places are good, have good schools, easy access to metro etc. Good ES in these areas are Haycock, Louis Archer, Westbriar etc.

If you aren't sure, it is highly recommended to rent a place so you can learn more about these places. Not sure if you were planning to rent or buy.

Traffic is the big concern there. For e.g. if you have to travel from East to West on Route-7 in the afternoon (4:30-6pm), it's very slow, at least it used to be an year ago. Not sure if there is any improvement lately.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:45 AM

4,787 posts, read 2,855,816 times
I would also like to clarify I am speaking of Falls Church City and not the Falls Church part of Fairfax county.

I mistakenly inferred Falls Church City when I saw Vieanna. Although I live in the Falls Church part of Fairfax county and love it I believe that Falls Church City is a comp to Vienna. The Lake Barcroft area of Falls Church in Fairfax county is very nice IMHO and there are small areas there I would also highly recommend but in general I believe Falls Church City is the better comp to Vienna.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:16 AM

4,229 posts, read 2,105,635 times
The Town of Vienna and the City of Falls Church have a good deal in common, but perhaps nothing more importantly than the fact that each has its own local government. Most areas in NoVa do not -- including the areas of Fairfax County that have Vienna and Falls Church mailing addresses. The actual Town and actual City enjoy a distinct advantage over unincorporated areas in terms of local control, activities, and amenities

While more alike than different, it is still true that Falls Church is smaller than Vienna (2.2 versus 4.4 square miles) and almost twice as dense (6,950 people per square mile versus 3,600). The difference in lot-size and in green grass and open spaces is noticeable. Vienna children attend Fairfax County Public Schools. Falls Church City runs its own school system which is also well-regarded. Each is convenient to two major airports (National and Dulles), and each is served by two nearby Metro stations. Each also has the popular W&OD Trail running right through the middle of town for easy biking, jogging, roller-blading, or just plain nature-walking. Each is also close to major highways and top-flight shopping, and each has a lot of upscale modern housing recently built on older lots. If there is an area where one might stand out from the other, it could be that there are more nice restaurants in downtown Vienna than there are in downtown Falls Church.

Last edited by Pub-911; 05-19-2017 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-19-2017, 11:12 AM

2,276 posts, read 5,561,058 times
I like FCC better than Vienna. Its more walkable. FCC is 2 sq miles and surrounds the Rt7 corridor. Vienna is spread out Both are family oriented. I know its really splitting hairs but IMO Vienna is a bit more McMansion Lexus suv status-y while
FCC is more NPR Volvo stationwagon types lol

Old 05-20-2017, 08:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,636,630 times
What part of Falls Church? It's pretty big and parts of it are very different. I lived in Falls Church City and it was great. Lovely area but very small and very expensive. We live in Vienna now. Still very expensive but slightly less so. FCC where we lived(near route 7/29 intersection) was more walkable which was really great. If we could've afforded a SFH there with a nice yard I probably would've done that over Vienna, but Vienna is great and we love the house we ended up in. Vienna has a lot of charm too, I'd say just as much as FCC but is more spread out so we lost the walkability.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:47 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,033,910 times
One of the biggest differences is the nature of the housing stock. FCC is older, with (mostly) smaller houses on smaller lots. The original homes are often 3 BR 1.5 BA with no garage (like nearby North Arlington in the 22213 zip code), though even when we lived in the area ten years ago, many of those homes were being sold as teardowns and replaced by $1 million+ properties.

Vienna has some older neighborhoods too, but much of it was developed later than Falls Church, so there is a greater number of more traditional "suburban" 4-5 BR homes on larger lots with garages. You will get more house and yard for your $ in Vienna, but the City of Falls Church is more convenient if you work in DC -- you don't have to go through Tyson's to get there.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:56 AM

944 posts, read 656,932 times
I would be more likely to have my kids playing in the front yard in Vienna as there are more cul de sacs and less through roads. It's not uncommon to see groups of kids on bikes riding around in Vienna.

I like City of Falls Church, but it skews older to me. And defeinitely has more of a small town everyone know everyone feel, but not necessarily in a good way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or