U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 02:19 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,639,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
The price is supposed to be based on what it takes to keep the HOT lanes moving at highway speeds. The thing is there is so much traffic sometimes (shocker) that the formula breaks down, keeps raising the price, and you can end up paying $20 to sit in the HOT lanes too. The price can be whatever and EZ pass flex people will still enter as they ride for free.

The sweet spot is a couple bucks, maybe $5 for the route you are describing. Yesterday 66 to 395/95 was like $16, but even the HOT lanes were only moving 30 mph until after the congestion around Rt 50. Not worth $16 to save ten minutes.
When are the HOT lanes ever at a standstill just from volume? I've been driving the beltway a lot since their construction and have never seen the HOT lanes backing up with traffic unless there's an accident that shuts them down.

I don't know why people complain about the HOT lanes. It's nice to have the option to pay money to bypass traffic. I recently took a job in MD with a longer commute but was a great opportunity and more money. I knew I could mitigate the commuting issue to some extent by using the HOT lanes in VA to bypass some of the traffic. It's nice to have the option even if you don't need it much, because at some point you might

Last edited by FCNova; 05-21-2017 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 03:25 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,328,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Most people dont commute that far to begin with but this is typical surbanite thinking. I save $100 a month on housing but I pay $500 more a month for a car so its worth it! Makes total sense.

Forget about the mental health of these lunatics that will kill 10 pedestrians to get to work.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. I live in Lake Ridge and commute daily on 95 & 495 to Alexandria. I use the express lanes maybe once a week on average. A townhouse similar to ours inside the beltway would cost at least 3x what we paid for ours not to mention the HOA fees would be much more. What we save each month is exponentially more than what we spend in commuting costs.

Now that my husband has recently been working in Alexandria is well, we can carpool some days saving us even more.

FWIW, my mental health is solid even after 6.5 years of doing this commute.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:05 PM

23,531 posts, read 33,244,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
I've seen the 66 to 395 toll in the $20s a number of times, but it seems pretty regular now that to Gallows is about $10 and to 395 is $18 or so.

It would be hard to stomach paying those tolls daily, but for part time telecommuters or for special occasions, yeah, I get it.

Somebody made the point above that the mortgage difference doesn't pay. I'm not entirely sure about that. You stick my house in Fredericksburg and I think I'm paying at least $800 less a month. Maybe not enough to pay those tolls each way, but again if you didn't have to go to the office everyday...
This is where your housing needs are important to consider. I'm more in the market for rooms and 1 beds since I'm single with no kids. You don't really save much money moving further out for those.

Townhomes and houses, different story.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:32 PM

69 posts, read 49,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
I'm not quite sure what you want the politicians to do. It would have been best to raise taxes to pay for the new lanes and transit, but a majority of people are allergic to tax increases.
Be a leader and do what needs to be done. Transportation funding has long been needed, so they should have raised a tax 20 years ago and we'd be far better off. Just because something isn't popular, doesn't mean it isn't the right decision.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:35 PM

69 posts, read 49,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
That's a bit of an exaggeration. I live in Lake Ridge and commute daily on 95 & 495 to Alexandria. I use the express lanes maybe once a week on average. A townhouse similar to ours inside the beltway would cost at least 3x what we paid for ours not to mention the HOA fees would be much more. What we save each month is exponentially more than what we spend in commuting costs.

Now that my husband has recently been working in Alexandria is well, we can carpool some days saving us even more.

FWIW, my mental health is solid even after 6.5 years of doing this commute.
I find most of the "I live in Arlington, 5 minutes from my office, and so should everyone else" crowd tend to have bought in 1992 when home prices were still somewhat tied to incomes.

Ask them to come up with the cash for a similar house today, and they'll be in Lake Ridge with you because they don't make enough to support a $1M house, like most of us.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:17 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,203,986 times
Thumbs up Suburb life is good

Funny how one familiar poster has pushed this to the anti-suburbs crowd vs. Nice urban city folk.

There are no less than 100 threads about the pros and cons and cutting to the chase on JUST transportation, the suburb areas have slugging. This means thousands of workers can decide to park ( for free) and ride into the city for free! Wow. Can't beat that. Yes, need a car to get to slug lots but who is car free in the urban areas.

In the suburbs, parking is free in a driveway, even garage, is obtainable for under $400k. Sure slugging requires a flexible schedule but ever try the metro? Flexibility is essential with metro.

Having just rode into work today, weekends are a breeze on I395 so congestion issues are only a weekday issue.

Last issue is whose paying for 6 lanes of freeway? Sure we could have hammered any developers with a road tax but we already had a road tax with all real estate transitions now. And the suburb communities are required to do a worthless emissions test on their vehicles. Fredericksburg surprisingly does not have this emissions "tax".

So let the beat down of suburbs continue but some of us don't want to park on the street, pay for parking at the metro, pay for city buses that have plastic seats, gambling with the metro, paying outrageous HOA fees, paying extra property taxes, paying more " county" and " city" registration fees, higher utilities, double the cost of daycare, to live in a $550,000 townhouse with 4 floors yet only 2 bedrooms.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:43 AM

4,229 posts, read 2,109,226 times
HOT lanes rock because they come with all that famous private sector efficiency and ingenuity.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:27 AM

29 posts, read 21,757 times
We live in Woodbridge and I work in Tysons, husband in Springfield. In April, we spent $480 on express lanes 495 and 95. Nothing makes my blood boil more than seeing $29.95 tolls from Tysons to 95 (as it was 2 weeks ago when we had a bad rainstorm and a dead stop on BOTH 495 and 95 express) and an additional $17.85 to get to 123 (where I dropped my carpoolers - luckily I have since found a Facebook page for commuters from Woodbridge to Tysons and I'm able to pick up carpoolers on some days, but it's still hit or miss). It's ALWAYS an average of $20 to go from Tysons to 95, and $12 to get to the Dale Blvd. exit in the evenings (between 4-6pm), which is definitely an inflation from last year. I pay it to get home and see my kids and have dinner with my family. It's terrible. The express lanes website advertises it will be a max of $1/mile during average rush hour, but that is not the case at all. I have seen it as high as $12/mile on 95 in the mornings and $6/mile on 495in the mornings. It's terrible.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:37 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,813,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyc413 View Post
We live in Woodbridge and I work in Tysons
This is by far your biggest issue. How much more house could you buy with $500 a month since you are willing to spend it on tolls anyway? This doesn't even take into account commute time saved.

Some of my workers do the 66 trek every day and I think they are near the breaking point too.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:28 PM

2,280 posts, read 5,565,650 times
I am very interested to read locals experiences when 66 goes toll, esp inside the beltway. I suspect much much more vitriol and warmongering towards privatized tool systems...

FAQs about the newly approved I-66 tolls inside the Beltway | WTOP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia