U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:58 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,642,391 times

Advertisements

I'd go for the later as well.
YOu could live in an older place in west Springfield/Kingstowne/Burke etc... ride out the bad housing mrkt in a good location for re-sale. Then take weekend trip around the area to find a place to Build that Dream house on an Acre or 2!
YOu will get ALOT more land/scenery and nicer house for you money if you go out of the DC commute range.
(Culepepper, west of Frederickburg,Front royal etc...) you are then still close enough to get to DC for weekend trip etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
So what is the update on your move?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 AM

162 posts, read 489,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paaro View Post
So what is the update on your move?
No updates yet. Just looking around. I think we're going to end up settling on Woodbridge and dealing with the commute.

Speaking of that, does anyone think it would be better to take HWY 1 through Ft. Belvoir as opposed to I-95 to I-495?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:13 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,043,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman1 View Post
No updates yet. Just looking around. I think we're going to end up settling on Woodbridge and dealing with the commute.

Speaking of that, does anyone think it would be better to take HWY 1 through Ft. Belvoir as opposed to I-95 to I-495?
Pick your poison. Route 1 may not be quite as crowded but you'll hit a stop light every couple of minutes. Getting on I-495 in Alexandria will be even less fun.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:41 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Pick your poison. Route 1 may not be quite as crowded but you'll hit a stop light every couple of minutes. Getting on I-495 in Alexandria will be even less fun.
LOL, no kidding. When I would need to drive to Richmond (from Loudoun County) I would avoid getting on the 495 until the last possible entrance. I liked driving to Manassas, and then taking the back roads so I could cut over to 495 at Quantico.

As for the choice between the two roads: I personally enjoy driving on Rt. 1 more, but 495 is faster.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 AM

1,765 posts, read 6,368,886 times
I'd say rent a really nice apartment / townhome in a good neighborhood or Arlington, or even DC until you guys reach that retirement milestone.

I get bummed if going to work takes more than 20 minutes ever since ditching the 'burbs for something close.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:23 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,642,391 times
with one of you going to Chantilly and the other into Bolling... I would really reconsider Woodbridge. (or stay in a hotel there and drive a week!!) That's a bad commute for both of you. There is never a good time to cross the Woodrow Wilson bridge. Bolling isn't an easy in and out from NoVa, so consider your location on that. (Chantilly will be easier and has more back/side road options)

I would REALLY REALLY look at Arlington, Falls Church, Springfiled, Kingstown, Burke,Vienna etc... before settleing on Woodbridge. I kNOW prices are very good in woodbridge, but there's a reason. NO-one enjoys a 2 hour commute in a car.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:14 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,042,957 times
Do we put up with the commute for a few years and get the nice home now, or buy something decent now and just build our home later?

Think of it this way -- moving is a big hassle, but only for a few months. If you buy the retirement home now, you'll both have awful commutes for 4-5 years. And then when you DO retire, you might well find that your idea of a "dream home" has changed. Or you might find the ultimate post-retirement civilian position in, say, Rockville, and then you'd have to move again anyhow.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 PM

162 posts, read 489,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Do we put up with the commute for a few years and get the nice home now, or buy something decent now and just build our home later?

Think of it this way -- moving is a big hassle, but only for a few months. If you buy the retirement home now, you'll both have awful commutes for 4-5 years. And then when you DO retire, you might well find that your idea of a "dream home" has changed. Or you might find the ultimate post-retirement civilian position in, say, Rockville, and then you'd have to move again anyhow.
Yeah, that's what we are thinking too. Wherever we decide to buy now, more than likely, will not match what we really want. We just need to face that. We always wanted to build our custom home and we still can if we could stop worrying about getting the perfect home now.

5stones: I'd love to buy in one of those areas. We have looked from South Riding and Chantilly areas all the way to Woodbridge. We have found many nice homes between Manassas and Woodbridge. But we were worried about the commute being worse from say 5 miles SE of Manassas to Boling, than it would be from Woodbridge. Do you think the back roads from that area would be better than Woodbridge?

Old 03-13-2008, 06:16 AM

846 posts, read 3,057,117 times
There are some old, crappy houses in Great Falls on around an acre or so that are listed right now for under $1M. It surprised me when I saw the listings. I was just checking it out because this came up on another thread the other day. Here, take a look (see if my link works):

Moderator Cut: Real Estate Advertising

There are even a couple listings in the $600k's, though on mere 1/2-acre lots.

Here's an acre listed at $775K. Even has a house on it. In Great Falls:

Moderator Cut: Real Estate Advertising

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-13-2008 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or