U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:43 AM

112 posts, read 769,393 times

Advertisements

There's a community in Woodbridge called River Falls. They have new construction homes of 1+ acre starting around $800K. These homes are huge with mostly 3 car garages. The lucky few even have a water accessible lots. It's a very quite neighborhood with a golf course right down the road. It might seem expensive to some but given the amount of land and the size of the homes, it's a reasonable deal. Of course with options and lot premiums, you're looking at a $1M+ home. I can't imagine a similar home anywhere closer to DC or Tyson's being short of $2M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 AM

846 posts, read 3,056,934 times
Wow, there is no way I would ever pay $800k to live in Woodbridge. I don't care how nice the houses are. I would have a hard time believing that prices like that would hold up.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
There are some old, crappy houses in Great Falls on around an acre or so that are listed right now for under $1M. It surprised me when I saw the listings. I was just checking it out because this came up on another thread the other day. Here, take a look (see if my link works):

Moderator Cut: Real Estate Advertising

There are even a couple listings in the $600k's, though on mere 1/2-acre lots.

Here's an acre listed at $775K. Even has a house on it. In Great Falls:

Moderator Cut: Real Estate Advertising
OK, well, you'll have to do your own searching, because apparently I can't give you links to listings.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:07 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,041,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
OK, well, you'll have to do your own searching, because apparently I can't give you links to listings.
Your link referenced a realtor which is not allowed. I understand that the links appear differently than the website address but there was really no way to edit the information.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Your link referenced a realtor which is not allowed. I understand that the links appear differently than the website address but there was really no way to edit the information.
Can't you go into the the HTML and change the text that the program inserts in place of the URL to "<link>"? Then we can post listings, but the name of the website doesn't appear, so there's no advertising component.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:44 PM

141 posts, read 688,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman1 View Post
We are relocating to the D.C. area. I have posted previously, but new information about my wife's job changes a few things. I have done a lot of research on schools, home prices, etc. My main concern with where to live deals more with the commute times. We want to live in a home with some acreage (at least 1 acre) so we know any commute is going to be bad. Our options that we are considering are the Ashburn/Leesburg, Manassas, Woodbridge, or Stafford areas. I will only be commuting to Chantilly so it's not really me that I'm worried about. However, my wife will be commuting to Boling AFB. In my research, I have found the follow commute times and I am hoping someone can confirm or dispute these times for me...

Ashburn to Boling AFB - 1 hour 15 minutes
Leesburg to Boling AFB - 1 hour 30 minutes
Manassas to Boling AFB - 1 hour
Woodbridge to Boling AFB - 45 minutes
Stafford to Boling AFB - 1 hour 15 minutes

I'm looking for average commute times and not the exceptions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Kevin
Hello, I currently live in Lake Ridge zip code 22192 and I am not sure what your feelings are about taking a commuter bus. However, there are many options to Bolling Air Force Base. It is a shuttle bus that picks you up from a commuter lot road in woodbridge or Lake Ridge and takes you directly to Bolling Air Force Base.. see this website if you are interested. I have taken the shuttle to Bolling Air Force Base and it takes less than 30-35 minutes because we ride the HOV lane the whole way..
Good luck

PRTC - The Ride That's Right For You

Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 PM

162 posts, read 489,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovefromFla View Post
Hello, I currently live in Lake Ridge zip code 22192 and I am not sure what your feelings are about taking a commuter bus. However, there are many options to Bolling Air Force Base. It is a shuttle bus that picks you up from a commuter lot road in woodbridge or Lake Ridge and takes you directly to Bolling Air Force Base.. see this website if you are interested. I have taken the shuttle to Bolling Air Force Base and it takes less than 30-35 minutes because we ride the HOV lane the whole way..
Good luck

PRTC - The Ride That's Right For You
First of all, thanks for all the responses. You guys are really helping us out.

What are the rules for the HOV lane? Is it just two people? If so, my wife will be driving my son to daycare so he should count. If that's the case, how does this change the story of the commute? Doesn't the HOV lane stop soon from Woodbridge?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:04 PM

Anyone have any info on HOV lanes? I was told that I-66 is two person minimum and I-95 is three person minimum. Is this right? Also, how will using the HOV lane help the commute times?

Thanks,

Kevin

Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 PM

2,670 posts, read 4,519,607 times
When I read the part about your son going to day care, I felt even more strongly that you really should not buy until you have lived here and really, REALLY understand (i.e., have lived with) the tradeoffs between commute time, acreage, etc. I realize everyone is different and it's not my place to judge for you, but I just can't envision how having so much land could possibly be worth giving up so much time with your son, and the costs of exhaustion and stress of commuting, etc. I suspect you don't really believe the commute will be that bad, but believe us, we know. It IS that bad, and it is only going to get worse as more people move here and transportation relief is stymied. Back roads are not going to reduce it; everyone has already figured the back roads to everywhere; you'll just have more traffic and stoplights, and you won't save any time. At least if you rent, you won't be locked into a decision that may not turn out to be what you envisioned.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
When I read the part about your son going to day care, I felt even more strongly that you really should not buy until you have lived here and really, REALLY understand (i.e., have lived with) the tradeoffs between commute time, acreage, etc. I realize everyone is different and it's not my place to judge for you, but I just can't envision how having so much land could possibly be worth giving up so much time with your son, and the costs of exhaustion and stress of commuting, etc. I suspect you don't really believe the commute will be that bad, but believe us, we know. It IS that bad, and it is only going to get worse as more people move here and transportation relief is stymied. Back roads are not going to reduce it; everyone has already figured the back roads to everywhere; you'll just have more traffic and stoplights, and you won't save any time. At least if you rent, you won't be locked into a decision that may not turn out to be what you envisioned.
I certainly appreciate your concerns and I wish I could live somewhere for a year and then move. However, the military is moving us. If we live somewhere for a year then move somewhere else, we pay for that move out of our pocket and the time off we have to take to move would be out of our leave (vacation time). Another factor is that I hope to continue working for the same agency after I retire from the Air Force. My wife is very marketable (medical career field) and can go anywhere when she gets out.

The reason why we are asking all of these questions is because we want to spend as much time with our son as possible. We don't want to make a mistake with where we purchase. Most people only have the basic factors of schools, taxes, commutes, crime, demographics, etc. to worry about. We have the added pressure of the military telling us where to work. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that the military is keeping us together. That's not always the case so we should and do feel blessed for that. But we do have some control over where to live and the more info I get from here and other sites, the better our decision can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or