Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 11:08 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Now would I suggest TC if you can get into Washington-Lee (Arlington) or Lake Braddock (Fairfax Co)? Absolutely not. But a student who takes their education seriously would have to try hard not to get a good education at any NoVA HS.
Something to point out is that if the discussion is about public schools, then one's child goes to the school that is designated for where the student lives. So it's not a case of "can you get into this school versus that one", the question instead is "can you afford housing in school district X versus school district Y?" (or, do you prefer to live in one place versus another)

One public school exception I can think of is Thomas Jefferson, where academic merit is a determining factor for enrollment and students can attend despite living in a different school district (but not if in City of Alexandria, which does not participate with TJ).

So if OP is thinking public schooling, the question "where do you send your kid to HS" typically is answered with "to the school designated for my address." Is the question really "where should I live to get the best HS?" Well, OP is non-responsive so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 11:58 AM

170 posts, read 199,181 times
Look, OP just wants to hear George Mason, Marshall, McLean, Langley, Oakton, etc

Old 05-31-2017, 12:38 PM

771 posts, read 1,458,822 times
I plan on sending mine to public high school. Unless we get redistricted, right now we are zoned for Langley, so that's where he'd go.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:45 PM

264 posts, read 854,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think you can get a solid education at any HS in Northern VA. I'm a TC Williams (Alexandria City) grad and while that school doesn't have a great rep, it was a better and more rigorous experience than my old school in Hampton Roads.

Now would I suggest TC if you can get into Washington-Lee (Arlington) or Lake Braddock (Fairfax Co)? Absolutely not. But a student who takes their education seriously would have to try hard not to get a good education at any NoVA HS.
I am a TC grad as well. I agree that the education was outstanding however, there are many groups of kids there. The majority are not white collar/college bound. If your child is susceptible to changes- they could deviate quite severely. We had a lot of police at our social and sports events. All schools in this area are top notch- just try to find the one that matches your kid's personality (given you have a choice at this point). If I could go back- I would have not wanted to go to TC (though it did teach me the real real world). However, I did get into UVA which would have been harder at other schools that have so many high achievers. We had such a low % wise of applicants to UVA that it met a quota- this would have been much harder at higher achieving schools like McLean or Langley.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:13 PM

189 posts, read 195,405 times
One thing is for sure, there is no such thing as a "small" school in NOVA. At any public school your graduating class will be 500-800 students. Which is ashamed because at my reunion a few years back I did not know most of them! And they were in my "class".

Old 06-01-2017, 01:56 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,718,275 times
Nuns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia