Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 01:58 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times

Advertisements

I parked at South Lakes Drive and Ridge Heights Road for a walk around Lake Thoreau today.

I started at the boat launch on Lake Thoreau.

Walking clockwise around the lake, the pathway winds through several nicely landscaped townhouse developments.

Past the Ridge Heights swimming pool. This pool is one of two heated pools in Reston available for early and late season swimming.

A wildflower meadow and a tot lot.

In addition to this pair of Geese, I also saw a pair Red-bellied Woodpeckers, a Gray Catbird, and many Cardinals and Carolina Chickadees.

This loop takes you by Reston National Golf Course.

Here is my favorite Reston Pool - Lake Thoreau Pool. I like it because it has a good amount of adult only hours (including from 6:00 - 9:00 AM on weekdays), a nice hot spa and three lap lanes all the time.

Another Reston Bench to relax and take in the view.

Townhouses with decks over the water!

South Lakes Village Center Dock - people who live on the lake can tie their boats up to go to dinner or shopping. This is one of my two favorite Reston restaurants - Red's Table.

This is my other favorite Reston restuarant - Cafesano

South Lakes Village Center has a great variety of shops including Safeway, Starbucks, Chipotle, Subway, CVS, ABC liquor, Hair Cuttery, Visionworks, Reston Florist, SunTrust, BB&T Bank, Crest Cleaners, Flippin Pizza, Pet Valu and a UPS Store.

Back across the dam brings me to my car. Today I saw a good number of teenagers heading from South Lakes High School to their hangouts (Chipotle, Subway and Starbucks) in South Lakes Village Center, a few couples walking the paths, several babies being strolled, a good number of dogs walking their owners and a few people heading home from the store with a bag of groceries.

Lots of pretty flowers on the paths today - I couldn't pick just one. Today's walk was 2.2 miles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 10:49 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
This is a wonderful idea, JfromReston. And fabulous photography. Thank you. So looking forward to walking Reston's paths.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:15 AM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
These are so lovely! Reston is lovely! Thanks for the pics Also very excited for the new Wegmans at Sunrise Valley. The Dulles Wegs annoys me greatly..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Thanks much! I agree Reston is lovely.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited about having a Wegmans in Reston!
I had forgotten just how nice the trails were in Reston. With all the rapid growth there, it's nice to see the trails still there and an oasis of calm.

That said---Good to see Wegman's expanding! Although, they are more expensive, the selection is amazing.

Leighland---What bothers you most about the Dulles Wegman's?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I had forgotten just how nice the trails were in Reston. With all the rapid growth there, it's nice to see the trails still there and an oasis of calm.
Yes - I see Reston's pathways as an oasis of calm!

Quote:
That said---Good to see Wegman's expanding! Although, they are more expensive, the selection is amazing.
Washington Checkbook rankings have Wegmans prices below Safeway. I agree the selection is amazing. Where I see Wegmans prices (and checkout totals) being high are with their prepared foods.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:12 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:

Leighland---What bothers you most about the Dulles Wegman's?
I sent you a rep point message

If you want to start a wegs thread-go for it !

Old 06-07-2017, 12:49 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:

They really aren't more expensive on the basics. They get you, because you always end up buying more than the basics.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:31 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
They really aren't more expensive on the basics. They get you, because you always end up buying more than the basics.
^^^^Good point! And so very true

Old 06-07-2017, 08:41 PM

Default Walk #7

Today I parked at the Walker Nature Center fire ring on Soapstone Road heading to the Farmer's Market at St. John Neumann church.

More benches and bridges on this trail.

Bikers and strollers too!

There are two options to get off the paved path to head to the church. Both options have nicely maintained natural paths.

Arrived at the church and checked out the Farmer's Market. The link has a list of vendors.

Today I bought raspberries and pickles.

Left the church and headed back on the natural path.

When I arrived back at the paved path, I decided to take the natural path that parallels the paved path.

Oops - I ended up in a swamp and had to bushwack for a few minutes to get back to the paved path.

I'm always amazed at the giant root structure of this fallen tree.

Today's walk 2.2 miles.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:19 PM

Default Walk #8

All my previous walks were round trips - today I decided to take the Fairfax Connector bus from my neighborhood to Glade Drive & Cocquina Drive and walk home.

Headed east past a tot lot and Dogwood Elementary School where I could see kids playing on the playground, but fencing kept people on the trail from accessing the school.

Past the South Gate Community Center.

Past condos lining the path and through the Reston Parkway underpass.

Took a well marked detour around the construction site for the Hunters Woods at Trails Edge Senior Living Community.

Saw lots of strollers and dogs today along with their associated walkers.

Today's pretty flower! Today's walk 2.5 miles.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:04 AM

Default Walk #9

Today I walked around Lake Audubon starting at the neighborhood dock near Wakerobin Lane to check out the turtle island.

I dropped off another book at the little library, noting that the last one I dropped off was gone and that there were a couple of tree trunks to sit on and check out the books.

The pathways goes past a soccer field and along Glade Drive for a short ways before heading in between houses.

I took a short detour to check out the amazing garden at the corner of Compass Point Lane and Glade Drive. The owner even labels many of the plants.

Past a really cool townhouse development called The Warf where all the townhouses are on a man made pond.

Lots of dogs and people out getting exercise today.

The view from the Lake Audubon dam on Twin Branches Road and the boat ramp.

Sunbathers soaking up rays on a beautiful day!

Dock boats are the preferred way to party on the lakes in Reston. Reston limits the boats to low horsepower electric motors.

The Stairmaster steps that go back up to South Lakes Drive and the Sunset Hills Montessori School.

Children's play ground and field at South Lakes Drive and Cabots Point Lane.

Today's pretty flowers! Long walk today - 3 miles!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia