Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 06:40 PM

27 posts, read 53,949 times

Advertisements

I own and live in a 1-bedroom condo that's only 1 mile away from a future metro station off the Sliver Line - Phase 2. Should I sell my condo now or wait until 2020 when Sliver Line Phase 2 is supposed to open? I'm no longer happy living here and if it's not going to make much of a difference in $$$$ between selling the place now vs. 3 years from now, then I might as well put it on the market sometime this year.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
None of us has a crystal ball...

Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 PM

406 posts, read 624,951 times
Easy answer, sell now or hold on to it forever.

The current market is hot. smokin hot. Houses are flying off the shelves. Hot markets lead to warm markets which end as a crash. Markets work in waves. If you can sell now, this is probably the best time to sell in the past 5 years.

If your goal is to become a landlord with tenants in multiple units, keep the condo.

If your goal is to use this property as a forced savings account towards your future retirement, keep the condo.

If you need the money to purchase a new property, sell the condo.

If you don't have anything to do with the money you will earn from the sale of your condo, talk to your finical advisor about other investment vehicles to earn additional income from your capital.

This question is simple if you look at your long-term goals. Savings, growing your capital or moving your profit into another asset.

Run away from anyone that guarantee an increase in prices. If they were certain of this, they would buy your condo themselves.

I hope this helps.

Side note: This comment does not create a real estate agency relationship. Please consult with a professional before using any advice in this post.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
My experience has been that there ate bigger gains during the land acquisition phases (once it is a sure things), than the actual opening of the station. Three years is plenty of time for the apartment REITS to come in and build a ton of units that are nicer, closer, and newer than yours.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:39 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
My personal opinion would be to sell and buy a bigger place where you wish to live.

1 BR 1 BA Condos do not see the increases that even a 2 BR 2 BA condo see and I think a SFH would be a better investment. If you can afford it buy something to grow into.

When I sold my 1 BR condo I sold it for $20-$30 K? less than the 2 BR 2 BA condos in the same building sold for. I was lucky and got in early so I did make a good down payment for my house but I would have sold sooner if I would have known how easy it was to sell the condo and get a house.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
A mile away means sell now. If it was closer then maybe you could wait. People in Ashburn don't walk much to places.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Sounds like you sell now which is a good idea imo. I think the future metro appreciation is already priced into a lot of places by stations anyway and the thing with condos, especially 1br, is that there is always going to be newer and better condo buildings that come along. One mile away from a future metro is still far...you can fit a lot of newer buildings in that space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia