Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:15 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,014,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You will feel obligated to be disappointed with the Mexican food in this area, it seems like a cultural obligation when moving from Texas or Southern Cali to this area.
Imagine the disappointment if these SW transplants were to be served actual Mexican cuisine here.

Quote:
But this area has good Thai and Korean.
And Ethiopian and Vietnamese. And French and Spanish and German. And on and on and on. The DC area may have top-notch exemplars of more different cuisines than any place other than the NYC area.

Quote:
I think the seafood will be disappointing in general to you.
Yes. it's only on a par with places like Baltimore or Charleston. Seriously, if you are disappointed with the seafood available in the DC area, there will not be very many places that will make you happy. Seafood comes from the sea and from its bays and estuaries. These are found in more places than Boston, New Orleans, and Seattle.

Quote:
Frankly I can find good food that I like. I can like pizza I get here without having to compare it to NYC.
Like "Chicago," "Neapolitan," and "New Haven", "New York" is a style of pizza, and there are plenty of bad examples of it to be found in the NYC area. And there are many excellent pizza venues of all types to be found in the DC area. A long-time local favorite has been 2 Amys near the National Cathedral, but in a welcome development, more and more first-rate pizza places have opened up over the part couple of decades.

Quote:
I do not have to put on a production about it in an attempt to make myself look superior in some
way.
Yes, you've hit on an issue with many foodie-posters. It's often not about the food at all.

Last edited by Pub-911; 07-04-2017 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
That entirely depends where you are. Major suburbs: agreed. In the city or Arlington (or Leesburg), nope, there are plenty of unique, non-chain establishments.
Correct. But even in "the suburbs" and beyond, there are plenty of unique, non-chain establishments. Start with 2941 in Fairview Park, Chez Francois in Great Falls, and of course The Inn at Little Washington. If you were low on gas money, the town of Vienna all by itself can offer Maple Avenue Restaurant, Cafe Renaissance, Bazin's, Pazzo Pomodoro, Bonaroti, and Clarity.

Quote:
I will also agree that we are not as "health" conscious with food as the west coast probably is.
But we do have examples of Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Mom's Organic Market, and Fresh Market all operating in close proximity to each other. And the mainstream markets bend over backwards to attract more and more health-conscious consumers.

Last edited by Pub-911; 07-04-2017 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-04-2017, 11:00 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,376 times
DC is a lot more like Phoenix is than San Francisco, except Phoenix has good Mexican, and there are almost no Central Americans....the Mexicans hate them. Produce is far superior in Phoenix, too. I bought two large pineapples and two grilled fish for four bucks today in Thailand. Dungarat would charge 14 bucks each for the fish. But hey, the frozen blueberries at Costco are value.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 80,036 times
Quote:
That entirely depends where you are. Major suburbs: agreed. In the city or Arlington (or Leesburg), nope, there are plenty of unique, non-chain establishments.

I will also agree that we are not as "health" conscious with food as the west coast probably is.
I agree about the living area as you mentioned. In fact, I suggested OP consider Arlington for living. It's like a different world down there. Mosaic district is also a fun place. For me, coming here from CA was a huge transition. I suppose that's why we have 50 states. It takes all kinds.

The health aspect is more engaging in some areas but they aren't as advertised compared to the west coast. They do exist, you just need to find them.

Food wise, sushi and Indian food are pretty damn good here.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:51 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
And Ethiopian and Vietnamese. And French and Spanish and German. And on and on and on. The DC area may have top-notch exemplars of more different cuisines than any place other than the NYC area.
I always forget Ethiopian and that is one of the first ethnic foods I was exposed to in the area.

And there is no excuse for forgetting Vietnamese.

But as far as food places go DC is relatively new to the scene. Good food in DC proper was nothing like it is now for most of the 90's and maybe even early 2000's.

Now of course there has been a boom of new and great restaurants but let us not forget that it was not that long ago that it was a pretty sparse landscape.

Where are some good German places? I want to get some sauerbraten.

Also a good place for pierogies would be appreciated.

I cannot speak for the variety of ethnic cuisines but I think that Chicago is a better food city than even NYC and would put DC out of my top 10 probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Yes. it's only on a par with places like Baltimore or Charleston. Seriously, if you are disappointed with the seafood available in the DC area, there will not be very many places that will make you happy. Seafood comes from the sea and from its bays and estuaries. These are found in more places than Boston, New Orleans, and Seattle.
I just may be missing it because I did not even like it before spending a lot of time in Seattle. I find the seafood on the West Coast to be more to my liking. Not being a seafood person I think Seattle is a lot better than Baltimore for seafood. I mean from Tuna Sashimi at Wild Ginger to Sushi to just fish taco's.

Maybe it has more to do with what I actually order?

Old 07-05-2017, 06:54 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Dungarat would charge 14 bucks each for the fish. But hey, the frozen blueberries at Costco are value.
This is an unfair and irrelevant comparison.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
But as far as food places go DC is relatively new to the scene. Good food in DC proper was nothing like it is now for most of the 90's and maybe even early 2000's. Now of course there has been a boom of new and great restaurants but let us not forget that it was not that long ago that it was a pretty sparse landscape.
I've lived in the immediate DC area since the 1960's. I have never found the foodscape here to be anything close to "sparse."

Quote:
Where are some good German places? I want to get some sauerbraten.
Sauerbraten? Try the Old Europe on Wisconsin Avenue. It's traditionally good and has been there forever, but I would myself prefer the rahmschnitzel at Cafe Mozart on H Street downtown, or better yet, the wurstplatte and lots of other things at Cafe Mozart at 4th and Mass Ave on Capitol Hill.

Quote:
Also a good place for pierogies would be appreciated.
No use for pierogi or vareniki myself. You're on your own there.

Quote:
Not being a seafood person I think Seattle is a lot better than Baltimore for seafood.
Perhaps if one were all that into smoked salmon over crab cakes. There's no accounting for taste after all.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:54 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
DC is one of the finest areas in the country for restaurants. All kinds. Most people aren't foodies and are satisfied with chains.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:54 AM

37 posts, read 44,370 times
Lots of good information here. My views on a few things:

Yes, the produce at big chains (Safeway, Giant, Harris Teeter) is not-so-great. But you can get fabulous cheap produce at the local Asian/ethnic markets - Fresh World, Grand Mart, H Mart, etc.

I'm from Texas and there is very little good Mexican food here, Tex-Mex or otherwise.

DC as a "foodie" town thinks much more highly of itself than is justified. Yes, it's better than it was a decade or two ago. But still mostly uninspired and priced very high.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:56 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,134 times
I'm not an expert on German cuisine, but Cafe Berlin in Capitol Hill is pretty good.

As for other foods, again - name a cuisine and I can bet you there are atleast a few above-average, if not excellent options in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia