U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:02 PM

658 posts, read 1,619,539 times

Advertisements

I love the houses in Hollin Hills as well, and I believe these were designed by Charles Goodman, who has built several mid-century moderns developments throughout the DC area in Carderock in Bethesda, Lake Anne in Reston, Pine Spring (not sure of the name) in Falls Church, Rock Creek Woods in Silver Spring & in SW DC.

However there are many mid-century moderns homes around DC. Here's a very interesting blog on these type of houses throughout DC: Modern Capital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,650 times
My apologies for the tone of my earlier post but I couldn't believe I had stumbled upon such negative comments about West Potomac High School, a school I hold in high regard. I was just Googling a neighborhood park at was directed to this site and almost immediately saw the harsh words, which are untrue. So I registered and posted.

It is true Tone509, involved parents raise involved kids. I sadly know of kids who have attended expensive private schools and the so called top pyramid schools without having the benefit of involved parents. These kids often fall into bad habits, take drugs, drop out, become lazy. It is sad to see and happens everywhere - top of the pyramid down.

But, if you are actively involved in your kids education and their after school programs/sports etc you have an excellent shot at raising healthy, productive, and GPA strong kids. It's not rocket science.

And let's face it, any child in Fairfax County has access to a quality education.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 PM

11,367 posts, read 20,163,370 times
I agree, excellent post. We don't have children but too many blame the schools for the lack of parental guidance.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:20 AM

Location: Belle Haven Estates just south of Alexandria VA in Fairfax County
8 posts, read 40,432 times
There is no such thing as an "Alexandria Mixing Bowl". The mixing bowl is in Springfield and residents of Hollin Hills don't need to go anywhere near there to get to most major job centers.

This is a good starting point ... but do a little research where the replies aren't anonymous if you want trustworthy information.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,044,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwill View Post
There is no such thing as an "Alexandria Mixing Bowl". The mixing bowl is in Springfield and residents of Hollin Hills don't need to go anywhere near there to get to most major job centers.

This is a good starting point ... but do a little research where the replies aren't anonymous if you want trustworthy information.
I admit the "Alexandria Mixing Bowl" is a nickname of my own creation. But if you've driven on Route 1 where the city and county portions of Alexandria meet, you've no doubt witnessed and seen the result of the construction of various fly-over roads connecting to the Beltway, Woodrow Wilson Bridge and Route 1.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,401,645 times
Hollin Hills is cooler than cool. My mother (who has impeccable taste) said she'd live there or in one of the nearby GW Pkwy neighborhoods if she had to live in DC metro (but couldn't live Old Town Alexandria, her favorite neighborhood, for some reason). The problem with the area from *my* (admittedly weird non-driver) perspective is its location. The GW Pkwy neighborhoods are *not at all* walkable. That is to say, you can walk around your neighborhood and into surrounding ones, and of course down the Mount Vernon Trail, but there's really no "center of the community"-type area (and, aside from maybe 1.5 little mini malls on that side of Rt. 1, absolutely no shopping/dining to speak of). I get the feeling that if you lived there you'd end up using the Penn Daw shopping center more than you'd originally bargained for.

On the other hand, if you *do* drive (and don't mind not living in a full-fledged 'community'), the commute from that area to DC is famously easy, and Old Town Alexandria is just a five-minute drive north.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,864,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwill View Post

The ORIGINAL "mixing bowl" was near the Pentagon where a bunch of roads came together....Shirley Highway (now 395)....Washington Blvd and I can't remember the rest. Believe it or not, just south of there, near Glebe Rd, railroad trains crossed Shirley Highway. Can you imagine the carnage that would happen at that RR crossing if it still existed!

The current "mixing bowl" in Springfield didn't exist because this was before there was a Beltway.

I know y'all hate history...but I can't help myself! LOL

Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,234,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Hollin Hills is cooler than cool. My mother (who has impeccable taste) said she'd live there or in one of the nearby GW Pkwy neighborhoods if she had to live in DC metro (but couldn't live Old Town Alexandria, her favorite neighborhood, for some reason). The problem with the area from *my* (admittedly weird non-driver) perspective is its location. The GW Pkwy neighborhoods are *not at all* walkable. That is to say, you can walk around your neighborhood and into surrounding ones, and of course down the Mount Vernon Trail, but there's really no "center of the community"-type area (and, aside from maybe 1.5 little mini malls on that side of Rt. 1, absolutely no shopping/dining to speak of). I get the feeling that if you lived there you'd end up using the Penn Daw shopping center more than you'd originally bargained for.

On the other hand, if you *do* drive (and don't mind not living in a full-fledged 'community'), the commute from that area to DC is famously easy, and Old Town Alexandria is just a five-minute drive north.
Belle View seems like a very cool, walkable community. I'm guessing that you failed to mention it because it is mostly condos? Also, your mother is right... Old Town is great

Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,401,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Belle View seems like a very cool, walkable community. I'm guessing that you failed to mention it because it is mostly condos? Also, your mother is right... Old Town is great
Yeah, Belle View is one of the places that has a little mini mall. It's not a bad mini mall, though - really nice to have a bike shop and a little natural foods place in the 'community.'

Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,837,713 times
I've been wondering how those flat-top modern houses in Hollin Hills held up after the blizzard. That was a lot of snow to be sitting on top of old, flat rooves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia