U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,143 times

Advertisements

I am looking at taking a job in Reston but have never been. I move a lot for my job and currently live in SF CA. What can you tell me about the area and where to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:34 PM

7,965 posts, read 18,036,441 times
Reston is a pleasant planned community. It's relatively expensive for NOVA but a bargain compared to the Bay Area. There are other areas that may interest you depending on your age, your tolerance of a commute, your family composition, etc. Give a few more details and we can narrow the options down for you.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-12-2008 at 07:15 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Mid 30's moving by myself so looking for a safe but fun area. I am willing to drive to work for a great place to live. Love the outdoors, music and food.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 PM

49 posts, read 193,311 times
McLean and Reston would be perfect for you. I'm moving up there myself in a few days, and Reston was designed for outdoor activity from what I hear. Lots of parks and trails for jogging/biking and free summer concert series. Can't speak to the food scene yet as I lack the proper experience in getting about NoVa.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 PM

14 posts, read 27,399 times
I currently live in Reston and TrueVCU is correct. The outdoor activity here is fantastic with 50+ miles of biking, joging, and walking trails. There are 4 large man-made lakes and one natural lake (Lake Fairfax) where you can go camping & fishing.

Reston is a planned community "mixed-use" community where you can live & work in close proximity without the drastic urban/rural split. The Reston Town Center is the new focus area of high density condos, office space, shops, restaurants, movie theaters, bars, coffee shops, ice skating... The Lake Anne shopping center is also very nice but much older. It was the original "Reston Town Center".

Before I ramble on too long... Other areas you may enjoy also are Vienna, Merrifield, Clarendon, Balston, Rosslyn, which are East of Reston and less Green.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:45 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,639,283 times
I agree.

Look in Reston Town center area. Reston did a nice job for "planned Communities" they kept lots of trees etc... it really is pretty. Tehyare always people out jogging walking etc...along the paths.
If you can afford it look in the Ballston/Clarendon not as many trees etc... but it's a great location with many young singles and easy to hop on the metro to get into DC. you commute to Reston wouldn't be too bad, as you would be going against the worst of it.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia