Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,128 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm relocating to Northern VA as of April 2008. My job will be in McLean (Fairfax County). I'm looking for decent housing (townhomes) to purchase in a nice neighborhood with good schools and other amenities for children and a decent commute. I've been searching properties in the following areas:

Woodbridge
Leesburg
Manassas
Gainesville

Can anyone tell me if these are nice areas? Can anyone recommend other areas.

I'm looking in the $200K to $250K arena. I'm coming from STL where that kind of money will buy you a very nice house, but I'm discovering not so much in VA.

Any suggestions would be appreaciated.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,129 times
When you say McLean I'm assuming you mean the Tysons Corner area (where I work). I live in Arlington so I'm not very familiar with real estate prices in those areas you mentioned however I imagine you will be able to afford a smaller townhouse. One thing I can tell you is that your commute will be AWFUL to McLean from any of those locations, especially Gainesville and Woodbridge. One of my co-workers lives in Woodbridge and it takes him an hour and a half to two hours to get home in the evening (25ish miles).

Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 PM

14 posts, read 30,377 times
Welcome to Northern VA. I lived in Jefferson City, MO. for many years before making the switch to the East Coast. House sale prices here can be shocking in comparison.

The areas you listed are probably your best bet since I'm guessing that you probably need a 3 bedroom townhouse/condo or larger? Your big issue will be your commute to McLean. From any of these 4 areas you are looking at roughly an hour commute each way. Usually I'd say that $250k wouldn't buy you much in NOVA but with Foreclosues, Short Sales, and Bank Owned properties on the rise - there are quite a few gems out there for the picking right now. FHA Loan Limitations also changes this week to allow for more advantages to lower to moderate income families.
Moderator cut: linking to real estate sites is not allowed

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Yac; 03-12-2008 at 03:42 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,128 times
Thanks for the quick response. I'm really looking for 2 (BR) with a basement and a garage. I've been hearing that the commutes are horrible in NoVA. I've seen quite a few of the Bank REO's and they look promising, but what you see onthe internet is very different than seeing it live. The idea of getting instant equity is great.

My job is on Jones Branch Drive in McLean. I'm not sure if that's Tyson Corner or not.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:11 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,129 times
Jones Branch Drive is on the northern side of Tysons Corner close to the Dulles Toll Road. You've heard correctly, commuting is indeed brutal up here in the DC area, the key is to live close to where you work but that is a problem for many due to ridiculous living costs. Over 100,000 people work in Tysons Corner, combine that with two very large malls located just down the street from one another and you have a traffic nightmare. As far as the commute times, you will be very lucky to make it to Tysons Corner from any of those areas in an hour, Leesburg probably being the most likely especially if you use the Toll Road which is rather pricey. Although the trip from Gainesville and Woodbridge to Tysons is only about 20-25 miles you can pretty much count on at least an hour and a half each way, sometimes longer, unless you have non-conventional work hours.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:00 AM

280 posts, read 1,072,705 times
I would check areas down the Dulles toll Road, like Sterling, Herndon or Ashburn. Your commute will be much more manageable, and you may be able to find a steal in your price point!

Old 03-12-2008, 05:52 AM

190 posts, read 844,193 times
be prepared for a brutal commute in to Mclean from those areas

Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,882,711 times
look in Ashburn for a condo. I don't think you'll get a TH with garage for your price even in this market. Look near 267 (toll) maybe your employer will offer something to help pay for the toll $$$. but on 267 from Ashburn (broadlands area) you should be able to get to Tysons in an hour easy.

Leesburg is iffy... my husband did it for 2 years (mostly on rt 7...toll from leesburg is about $5 each way!) on most mornings he got to Tysons in an hour (leaving before 7am) home was more difficult if he leaft early just before 5pm (or late 7pm) he could make it home in just over an hour. But between 5:30-6:30 it's about an average of 90min.

You can get much more house for your money in Leesburg as it was hit really hard in hte housing downturn etc... but you'll pay ofr it in commute.
Look at Bramelton..it's new and they may have stock of TH that they need to sell.

I personally think woodbridge is going to be a very bad commute.

Gainsville area better than woodbridge but worse than Ashburn/Leesburg

Sterling would be an area I'd look at, in Cascades or Dullas parc area (near the mall) They recently built a bunch of new condos and TH right near the mall, I would imagine they need to unload those. Plus the commute into Tysons is much better you can jump on the Fairfax county pkwy to 267 (tolls are not as expensive after rt28 and the airport)
I'd say your looking at 45-60min.

If you can swing it something in Reston town center would be nice, but I don't know how much those are going for these days...you still could problably get a 2 bedroom condo.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 AM

449 posts, read 1,393,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chittystl View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I'm really looking for 2 (BR) with a basement and a garage. I've been hearing that the commutes are horrible in NoVA. I've seen quite a few of the Bank REO's and they look promising, but what you see onthe internet is very different than seeing it live. The idea of getting instant equity is great.

My job is on Jones Branch Drive in McLean. I'm not sure if that's Tyson Corner or not.
Given your price point and the necessity of a garage you may want to look at a large complex called Woodstone in Sterling. It is located about a half mile south of Hwy 7. The commute is reasonable. The nieghborhood is not as nice as Lowes Island or Cascades, but not bad. I see where some townhome units with a garage are down to as low as 229K. Granted, they are probably foreclosures and or need some work but may well worth be looking into.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 PM

112 posts, read 851,761 times
I'd agree with most of what's been said. It's very shocking to realize the home pricing, commute and traffic anywhere near Tyson's Corner. Given your choices and budget, you'll have to make a lot of trade offs. All your choices may fit your budget however they're all at least 1+ hour commute each way. With Woodbridge/Manassas, you're more than likely to take I-95 to and from work. If you're willing to leave at 6AM, you can get to work in 45 mins on an average day. The commute home however will be dreadful if you can't carpool with 3+ others. Personally I'd avoid Gainesville due to the commute on I-66. It's one of the few ways in and out of that area. Leesburg is pretty far and you'd be face with daily tolls of about $3+ each way. Herndon/Chantilly/Ashburn are all better choices but will cost more unless you can settle for a condo.

Of course, you might be better off just renting the first 6 months you're here just to get a feel for the environment. You can get all these opinions on which location is best but you'll be able to make a better decision having experienced it first hand before you commit to a purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia