Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 3,200 times

Advertisements

My wife is a nurse, she can get a job anywhere. I may take a job as a Capitol Police officer. Ideally, I'd want to stay in NJ but getting into law enforcement up here is extremely difficult because of how competitive it is. So, I've decided to look elsewhere and looked into becoming a Capitol Police officer. Anyway, I don't know the DC suburb areas very well (both VA and MD, willing to consider both). I've heard the DC commute with traffic a nightmare so I wouldn't want to be TOO far. The absolute most important thing would be to live in a town with top schools for my 3 kids. We would be looking for a 4+ bedroom house.

I've done a little bit of research and looked at houses in towns on multiple "best DC suburb towns" lists. The problem is that EVERY one of those towns is ridiculously expensive and the taxes in some are almost as high as NJ. I just couldn't pay $750k+ for a house. I would be looking more in the sub $500k range since my wife and I would collectively be around $150k/year or so. But everywhere I've looked was around $750k or so for anything decent. Maybe there is are nicer towns a little further away from DC either in MD or VA that I could consider? I'm not willing to sacrifice the quality of schools and we need at least 4 bedrooms. At this point I'm not even sure where to look. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:16 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfab1986 View Post
My wife is a nurse, she can get a job anywhere. I may take a job as a Capitol Police officer. Ideally, I'd want to stay in NJ but getting into law enforcement up here is extremely difficult because of how competitive it is. So, I've decided to look elsewhere and looked into becoming a Capitol Police officer. Anyway, I don't know the DC suburb areas very well (both VA and MD, willing to consider both). I've heard the DC commute with traffic a nightmare so I wouldn't want to be TOO far. The absolute most important thing would be to live in a town with top schools for my 3 kids. We would be looking for a 4+ bedroom house.

I've done a little bit of research and looked at houses in towns on multiple "best DC suburb towns" lists. The problem is that EVERY one of those towns is ridiculously expensive and the taxes in some are almost as high as NJ. I just couldn't pay $750k+ for a house. I would be looking more in the sub $500k range since my wife and I would collectively be around $150k/year or so. But everywhere I've looked was around $750k or so for anything decent. Maybe there is are nicer towns a little further away from DC either in MD or VA that I could consider? I'm not willing to sacrifice the quality of schools and we need at least 4 bedrooms. At this point I'm not even sure where to look. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
How far in drive time would you consider to be "too far"?

Old 08-24-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How far in drive time would you consider to be "too far"?
I'd like to keep it 45 min or less if possible.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:00 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
I am not sure where exactly you are looking but are you sure on those tax numbers? Home prices in Northern Virginia aren't cheap but I know a number of people who have moved here from New Jersey/ New York/ Connecticut and they always talk about how much lower property taxes are in this area. That being said, a 4+ bedroom house within 45 minutes commute to DC for under $500k is going to be a very tall order. If you could up your budget to around $575- 650k then there are some houses that fit that criteria in the Burke/ W. Springfield area of Fairfax County.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 08-25-2017 at 01:12 AM..

Old 08-25-2017, 04:56 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
For $500K for a 4 bedroom house with top-notch schools, I don't think it exists. There's a reason the prices are so high.

Your price range puts you in a townhouse type situation in Springfield (great schools, good commute).

For a single family home you will need to look south to the Woodbridge area (school quality dips a little but that is mainly due to be around the less-wealthy and not that the school system is doing anything wrong). You also sacrifice commuting ease.

There are suburbs you can go out to the west in Prince William such as Bristow or Nokesville that may get you a tad better of a school population, but the commute gets even worse.

I think it might be a good opportunity for you to come here but you are going to have to give up perfection.

Many of us have raised our families in these suburbs and the kids do well if they want to do well and have a good support structure.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:46 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Are you or your wife veterans? That could help wit the loan.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I am not sure where exactly you are looking but are you sure on those tax numbers? Home prices in Northern Virginia aren't cheap but I know a number of people who have moved here from New Jersey/ New York/ Connecticut and they always talk about how much lower property taxes are in this area. That being said, a 4+ bedroom house within 45 minutes commute to DC for under $500k is going to be a very tall order. If you could up your budget to around $575- 650k then there are some houses that fit that criteria in the Burke/ W. Springfield area of Fairfax County.
Well it depends on what part of NJ you are coming from. I'm paying $7200 in taxes currently which is very cheap for NJ. I was looking at some houses that were around $6000 in taxes. Cheaper, yes. Just not by much. Now if you live in NJ where you are paying $12k+ in taxes, then yea it could make a huge difference.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
For $500K for a 4 bedroom house with top-notch schools, I don't think it exists. There's a reason the prices are so high.

Your price range puts you in a townhouse type situation in Springfield (great schools, good commute).

For a single family home you will need to look south to the Woodbridge area (school quality dips a little but that is mainly due to be around the less-wealthy and not that the school system is doing anything wrong). You also sacrifice commuting ease.

There are suburbs you can go out to the west in Prince William such as Bristow or Nokesville that may get you a tad better of a school population, but the commute gets even worse.

I think it might be a good opportunity for you to come here but you are going to have to give up perfection.

Many of us have raised our families in these suburbs and the kids do well if they want to do well and have a good support structure.
I know I'm not going to get perfection and I'm willing to compromise. The commute itself I'm willing to increase the time if need be. The schools though, I can't really budge on that. I think we are spoiled for living in a town with one of the best school systems in the state and I really don't want to sacrifice anything in that area if I don't have to.

I'd be ok with looking into another townhouse since I do live in one now. My wife has family in the Sterling area that does commuting to DC everyday so at least we wouldn't be alone for a while. I'm just in the research phase at this point. I applied for the job and I'll go from there. If I got hired, I'd likely just move by myself and give it some time before putting my NJ up for sale and moving the rest of the family down. If for some reason I couldn't continue the job, I wouldn't want to be stuck.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Are you or your wife veterans? That could help wit the loan.
yes, Marine Corps here. The VA loans are fantastic.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:46 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
Taxes are much worse in NJ. Quite a bit worse in Ohio and Pennsylvania, too. But, yeah, hard to believe you could spend 500k and have people from "Joisey" next door. Most of the Capitol Police look like Governor Christie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia