Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 10:27 AM

55 posts, read 58,874 times

Advertisements

My wife (24) and I (27) are moving to NOVA for a job in Tyson's Corner, near the Greensboro Station. My wife is in the early stages of her career and will need to find work. We have one car.

We are looking for either a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in a quiet building. I noticed some nice 1 bedrooms for $1600-1800/mo in Tysons (Eaves Tysons Corner) that are extremely close to my job. This would be nice, as its close to my job and the train, so my wife could either use our car or the train to get to work.

If we can do better than this, I'd love to know. I noticed Reston is somewhat affordable, but I'm not sure if it's cheap enough to justify the move further out.

The main things we care about are price, relatively easy commute, and safety. We aren't concerned about schools yet as the baby hasn't been born.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I am extremely open to cycling to work. I noticed some rail trails in the area and that would be appealing as well.

EDIT: Daycare information may be relevant, as we both hope to be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 04:27 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Keep in mind babies turn into toddlers very, very quickly. A one-bedroom apartment is not really feasible for too long. Better plan on a two-bedroom from the get-go.

Best of luck.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:05 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
There are really no unsafe parts of NOVA. I would avoid some of the cheaper apartments just to get out of the nonsense. Tyson's is VERY safe. Look for newer places at Dunn Loring or along 7, 29 and Gallows Rd. When you find something post it here and we can give you our thoughts.

I love Reston but I am commute adverse so I would not recommend that to you even though you should be aware there are some back roads to navigate between Reston and the Tyson's area that may be helpful.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:05 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
One other thing to consider regarding day care that I had never thought about before.

Our grandson has some relatively minor health issues but many day cares will not accept him. It involves intravenous medication three times a day. You or your wife may need to stay home for a while. Don't plan on possible future income as your wife is not currently employed. Better to be sure you can survive on one salary, just in case.

Best of luck.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:31 PM

313 posts, read 551,730 times
Agreed with the other posters here. You're going to want a two bedroom with baby on the way.

If you're willing to spend that much in Tyson's for a 1 BR, a 2BR with most of the amenities you seek can be had in Reston for the same price.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...277391176.html

Old 08-24-2017, 05:51 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,628 times
A quick note, some apartments don't allow 3 people in a 1-bedroom apartment. Yes, that includes baby. Location-wise, I would check out Tysons immediate area for a first apartment then move further out once you learn the area and your spouse gets a job. Reston is a good second choice but understand that with the cheaper price comes a toll road which you will likely need to use to leave Reston and go to work (if not, Reston is suddenly on par commute-wise with many other areas).

Old 08-26-2017, 03:03 PM

49 posts, read 99,450 times
As a father of 1 year old, I will recommend a few things based on my exp.

1. 1 bedroom, you can totally rock it. - depends on your style of parenting, but what I have realized is that your parenting style will begin to shape as you raise one. For instance, we thought we will put the baby in the crib the whole time, but we didn't. We are now co-sleeping with our 1 yr old. So we have a crib that we do not use... and do not require to have baby's room. I would prepare as basic as possible.

2. However, choosing an apartment with good walls is important. - For your sake and your neighbor's sake. You will never know if your baby is a sensitive to sounds. Walking sound from upstairs, etc... or you never know if you have a sensitive neighbor who will complain all the time.

3. Convenience matters - you will want to choose a place where you can get stuff easily. No 30m driving to get a pack of diapers. With all of Amazon being your wife's best friend, still you would want to get your daily things done with minimal efforts.

Emphasizing the 1st point again, you guys will have different idea on what you will want to do for your family once the baby arrives. All babies are different and you will start thinking differently as you get to know them. Also, now that you are new to the town, i would even suggest to get shorter term stays and get the feel for the area before committing into anything bigger. There should be plenty of options for you.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:36 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,811 times
Generally, you can have 3 people in a one bedroom as long as the child is under 1 or 2 years old. We had a child in our room bed-sharing for 2+ years. We liked it. No big deal at all.

I agree that I would care more about not hearing (and not being heard) by your neighbors more than I would the size of the apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia