U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 02:32 PM

104 posts, read 375,934 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've gotten some great advice so far, and just wanted to post about opinions on these 2 areas. My husband is working in Chantilly and he went to look at potential homes for us. He found a great home in Potomac Falls and some potentials in South Riding. From what I have gathered from the info here, the commute time would be about the same since Potomac Falls is a reverse commute. I will be meeting him in Chantilly on Thursday and just wanted some general opinions on the pros/cons of each area before I got there! We definitely want a safe, family centered community and close to shopping.
Thanks for ANY input/advice!
Audrey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 03:11 PM

280 posts, read 968,954 times
I think it is probably a toss up, and likely depends on exactly where in Chantilly he is located. Both communites are great and have what you are looking for. My advice would be to check both out and see which one feels better to you.

I'm partial to Cascades (I've lived here for 5 years) because I like being away from the Rt. 50/Rt 66 area, and I feel like we actually have more over here in terms of shopping (across the street from Dulles town center), great schools, and close to the Potomac River - awesome parks and rec opportunities. Its also a really quick drive to places like Reston and Herndon which have a lot to do - dining, live music at Wolftrap, etc, etc, etc. I think South Riding is a little more out there, with a little more traffic to get around. But it is a personal preference. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:12 PM

Oh - one more thing I like about Cascades - more trees. That is a big one for us.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:04 AM

Thank you NovaMom! We are originally from the Northwest, so more trees would be a plus for us! And closer to shopping sounds great to me
Thanks again!
Audrey

Old 03-16-2008, 10:57 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,623,489 times
I have lived in Potomac Falls since 1992 (when it was still called Sterling!) and I have to say it is a great place to live, especially if you have children. It is well maintained, the landscaping is beautiful and the builders left a lot of trees. The Potomac Lakes section in Cascades has many homes within walking distance of shopping at Cascades Marketplace, the Countryside section has homes also within walking distance of the Countryside shopping area, and the Lowes Island section has a small strip mall on Algonkian Parkway, within walking distance of my present home. Algonkian Park is truly wonderful with access to the Potomac River and has a great public pool there and a miniature golf course and a regular golf course. Can you tell I love it here? You can be as busy as you want, there are many activities, and I love the jogging/walking paths throughout the community.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:06 PM

Thank you Margery! We are definitely going to keep this area #1 on our list!

Old 03-16-2008, 12:13 PM

There is actually an open house in our neighborhood this weekend - nice house in the low 500s, right around the corner. It needs a little updating and has an unfinished basement, but has great potential. Lots of young kids in the neighborhood. if you want more info, send me a PM!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:04 PM

Thank you NovaMom! That is so sweet, but we are going to rent our first year in NoVa to get a feel for the areas we would want to buy in. I am sure we will love Potomac Falls, my husband has driven out there this weekend and he says it is beautiful!
Thanks again!
Audrey

Old 03-16-2008, 07:07 PM

That is a smart idea - good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or