Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 03:37 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. We had a consulting arborist (the only kind that don't have a vested interest in removing trees) out to look our huge old oak tree with root rot. He said it's a goner.

So I'm looking for the cheapest outfit I can find that still has permits and insurance, in case they drop a branch on the house. I want them to take it down, chip it up, and haul it all away.

Thanks for any referrals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 04:02 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
I've never seen "cheap" and "tree-removal" in the same discussion. No such thing. Guess getting multiple bids with referrals for each is what you'll need to do.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:06 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
I watched a tree removal company take care of a (100?) year old oak next door that had fallen on the house. It was an elaborate task over several days with a hundred ton crane. Wood weighs 40 lbs/cu ft. Don't expect an amateur outfit to deal with big old tree on the cheap.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:17 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I watched a tree removal company take care of a (100?) year old oak next door that had fallen on the house. It was an elaborate task over several days with a hundred ton crane. Wood weighs 40 lbs/cu ft. Don't expect an amateur outfit to deal with big old tree on the cheap.
What about "licensed" and "with insurance" made you think I'm looking for amateurs?

I don't see how companies that have been legally operating with both those things are not all equally qualified to do the job. If a company drops limbs on houses enough times, it'll lose its insurance and go out of business.

And this job won't require a crane; I've seen standing trees removed from nearby properties, and it's a few guys with ropes, chainsaws, and a wood chipper.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:52 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Following this! I'm also looking for someone but it's not a huge tree that needs to be removed (it's out in the middle of the yard) as well as a limb from the neighbors' tree that is covered w/ivy and is laying across my roof - I need REALLY, REALLY affordable though.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:24 PM

127 posts, read 355,605 times
Where are you located? Here in Lake Ridge, we have at least 3-4 people ring our doorbell offering their tree cutting services every weekend in fall....
When we needed a complicated tree removed a couple of years ago we got quotes from companies in the area and went with one of them. But if you want cheap, one of these door to door guys should do. Most of them claim to be insured....

Old 09-21-2017, 04:34 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamounts View Post
Where are you located? Here in Lake Ridge, we have at least 3-4 people ring our doorbell offering their tree cutting services every weekend in fall....
When we needed a complicated tree removed a couple of years ago we got quotes from companies in the area and went with one of them. But if you want cheap, one of these door to door guys should do. Most of them claim to be insured....

I hired a guy several years back based on the recommendation of a friend. He said the guy was in jail for a bit and was trying to reestablish his business. I had him prove he had insurance-he did-and his prices were the most reasonable ever and they actually did a very good job. His climber was incredible. Then one day my son saw the guy leaving a Shell station near our house in a hurry. Turns out he just robbed the place and went back to jail. What a shame as he was good and reasonable. We had some giant Oak trees that needed to be removed later and we paid somewhere in the $1000.00 range but can't recall exactly.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:00 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
He was cheap because he was "supplementing" his income

Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
I’ve had luck with the “drive around the neighborhood” types. If the tree is visible from the road, I wouldn’t doubt that you’ll get someone soon.
I had them take down a Maple (around 70 years old) for $1200 after Bartlett told me it was a goner.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:50 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
I have used SavATree several times in the last 2 years. Tree removal and pruning. They also gave me some advice and fertilized the big trees. I am not sure if they are reasonable but the prices and service were OK with me. I got their name from my neighbors who use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia