U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 15,675 times

Advertisements

I am just starting to do research about moving to the Fredericksburg area. I have yet to visit Spotsylvania/Fredericksburg but have lived in Herndon for a few months. I was just wondering where some good places would be to live in the area for a 25 yr old...I like to walk to shops and go running. Is the city of Fredericksburg safe to go out alone? Also, I like the bar/music scene, does Fredericksburg have something like that to offer?

I am pursuing a job in the town of Spotsylvania and I'm also wondering how long the commute would be (I'm guessing it wouldn't be bad).

Is the Fredericksburg area a good area for a single female to meet others?

Thanks so much for help and advice; I know I asked a lot of questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 07:11 PM

5,604 posts, read 9,525,629 times
Wish I could help - as much as I like to visit occasionally - there is way too much traffic for me to consider living anywhere around there...lol - and this is coming from someone just outside of Old Town Alexandria. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:27 PM

737 posts, read 2,776,535 times
If you lived in Downtown Fredericksburg, and worked in Spotsy, you'd be traveling against traffic each way, so the trip would be easy.

If I were you, I'd look into staying in the historic area of downtown... but be carefull, things can change within one or two blocks. (It's a small city)

There is a local music scene, and bars and such to go to at night.

Good luck on your move. Fredericksburg is like Northern VA-light. Most people just complain about the traffic, but if you learn from an insider, there's ways to avoid it, and if your 'commute' is against traffic, it would be easy.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:29 PM

2,585 posts, read 7,019,471 times
Living in downtown is "walker friendly" for the bar scene! Most of the nightspots are downtown. My daughter lives in a really cute apartment and walks everywhere! Of course, you want to exercise due diligence, just like anywhere else, but it's pretty safe. Parking downtown is at a premium, unless you rent a place with designated parking.
Traffic on Rt. 3 (going to Spotsy.) can be pretty crowded--our roads haven't kept pace with our growth. Depending on WHERE in Spotsy you need to go will determine the travel time--Spotsy is a big county!
All in all, this area is pretty nice---we're getting more stores and restaurants all the time! It's expensive, but a nice place to live!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 PM

Well, she said the "town of Spotsylvania", so I would assume the Spotsy Courthouse area? In which case she could take Rt. 1 down to Courthouse road all the way to work... it's a HORRIBLE drive if you were going with rush-hour traffic, but when going against traffic, it can be done in like 20 minutes.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:21 AM

26 posts, read 98,764 times
I used to live in Herndon/Reston area, and I go to Fredericksburg VA all the time... if I were 25 & single, I'd be staying in Herdnon or maybe looking at Alexandria. Spotsy is a lot different than where you are living right now, take a drive down & check it out. Personally, I like the Fredericskburg area much better than Herndon/Reston, but then I'm married and not looking for a singles scene.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 AM

8 posts, read 111,288 times
Hi, there. I'm a 26-year-old female. I grew up in Spotsylvania (Partlow) and moved to Fredericksburg about a year ago. Like cb_at_C said, Spotsy's a big county. My parents still live in Partlow and they're a half hour from the nearest library and 45 minutes from Rt. 3. I live over on Rt. 2, halfway between the Fredericksburg and Caroline lines. Everything's not too far (between fifteen and twenty minutes), but I live a half hour from one of my work places and it's only 12 miles away (down by the Spotsy Courthouse) Actually, if you're looking to move down here, Rt.2 isn't half bad. Downtown Fredericksburg is about ten minutes away, but there's a few sketchy places as well
(laundrymat). If you're living in downtown Fredericksburg, it'll be more expensive for rent, especially if you're living by yourself. I would check out craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums for rental possibilities.

Downtown (old town) Fredericksburg is about the only area to walk to shops around here. Things are spread too far apart here and the rest of the area isn't pedestrian-friendly at all. However, if you snag an apartment at the Greenbrier complex on Rt. 3, there's a really nice park right behind the complex and you could walk to old town Fredericksburg (if you're feeling brave).

I've almost never felt unsafe around here. Just keep your wits about you and listen to your instincts. I feel perfectly comfortable walking around Fredericksburg by myself.

As for the music and bar scene, there are quite a few bars in old town and Central Park. There's live music at the Griffin and at other places in the area. The Weekender in the Free Lance-Star is a good place to check out what's going on every week.

In regards to the single scene, I'm kind of oblivious to it because I met my boyfriend at work about a month ago. You can meet people at the gym or work or through friends. I've actually met quite a few friends through work.

Good luck on everything!

E-mail me if you have any questions: sjparker42@hotmail.com

Old 04-27-2008, 07:18 PM

7 posts, read 61,944 times
We have three children, ages 15,13 and 9. We may move to Fredericksburg from Fort Collins, CO. Do you find the town family friendly?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:34 PM

45 posts, read 186,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francine131 View Post
We have three children, ages 15,13 and 9. We may move to Fredericksburg from Fort Collins, CO. Do you find the town family friendly?
Totally off topic by why would you want to leave such a beautiful place as CO? I've heard great things about FT. Collins. Best of luck!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francine131 View Post
Do you find the town family friendly?
Yes.

I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia