Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,960 times

Advertisements

I currently work and live in Springfield. My main reason for considering moving is I want to be more social. I live within walking distance to work, which is great but I don't really ever go out since it always seems like a hassle to drive/metro anywhere.

I'm 25 y/o male and not the most outgoing. I figure if I live in Arlington I'll be more likely to go out since a lot of stuff is within walking distance. I feel like I should be having more fun in my 20's...

It will be stretching my budget to move to Arlington but I'm wondering if it's worth it? I'm looking into the Ballston area. My max budget is $1800. I don't want a roommate. How's the commute from Ballston to Springfield? Looks alright on google maps. I can get a credit from work of I think $100 for Metro costs. I have student loans that I already pay a lot more than the minimum on but it's hard to justify spending a lot on rent when you have debt.

Also considering Alexandria.

Thanks

Last edited by shouldimove2; 09-23-2017 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Added details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 01:53 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
I've live in Arlington. It's been a long time (like 15 years) since I was in the rental market, but I'm pretty sure that 1800 is not going to get you your own place in a "happening" area. You might try looking for a roommate(s) in a shared rental house.

The commute to Springfield depends on what time you leave and where you work. I can get to Ft Belvoir in 30 minutes (and back home in 20-25 minutes), but I'm on the road before 6AM, and the base is near the freeway.

But to the larger point: If you're not outgoing, I'm not sure being near bars and restaurants is going to be the answer for you. Instead, I'd suggest you join clubs/meetups that reflect your interests. You could start with your local college alumni association. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:28 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
1800 is very doable. I payed $1400 to live directly off of Wlson Boulevard in Ballston. There are places as low as $1200 but then you will run into gang and roach issues. I encourage you to look at www.arlingtonurbanrentals.com for the best deals. Dittmar isnt bad either.

You may want to check out Shirlington too. Not as happening but easier commute. (Ballston would be an easy commute too).

Old 09-24-2017, 05:10 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
First question: do you have friends that will get you out? You say you're not overly social so if you move to Arlington are you going to be trying to go sit in bars alone? Boy I'd hate that!!! But....if you have some sort of group you can go out with then I think it's a good move. I have a daughter the same age as you and she got out the suburbs FAST and rents a room in DC and is having a very good time and loves the walkability.

My friend's daughter lived in Arlington for several years in the Sheffield Court apartments. She paid about $1600 for a 1 bedroom. She lived there for about 6 years and just moved out 2 months ago when she bought her own place. So I think she like the apartment complex, the management, etc. Not overly social herself, but I do think she enjoyed the overall lifestyle. For awhile she commuted from there to Quantico. I think the drive to Springfield would be fine.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:18 AM

313 posts, read 551,800 times
do you have friends that will get you out? You say you're not overly social so if you move to Arlington are you going to be trying to go sit in bars alone? Boy I'd hate that!!!

It's all perspective I guess. This was me the first couple of years I moved to NoVa. I'd consider myself a friendly introvert and while this area is difficult to make friends as compared to other areas in the country, I kept at it and was able to find some people to hang with. Just be friendly

I would make this move if I were in your shoes. You'll be at the center of it all if you choose to live along Wilson Blvd tho I think your budget is probably just scraping the minimum needed for along that location. Check Craiglsist and the site gomason mentioned and I think you'll find something that checks off the boxes.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 AM

Yea, I have a few co-workers that live in the area who I'd probably hang out with. They have other friends, who I've never met but I'm sure I'd be hanging out with them. I've been looking into AVA Ballston

https://www.apartments.com/ava-balls...on-va/se6cck4/

Seems decently priced and has plenty of good reviews.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:19 AM

Thanks, Yea I have a few co-workers I'd probably hang out with but totally wouldn't mind just hanging out at a bar alone.

I've been looking into AVA Ballston

Old 09-24-2017, 11:37 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Sounds good, then. I think you should do it. Living out in the suburbs was my daughter's biggest complaint. Most of her friends were in Arlington or DC. She tried staying home to save money and doing the "sleep on someone's couch thing" for her weekends, but that got old fast.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:43 AM

Yup, that's exactly how I feel. I just end up never even going out.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:07 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldimove2 View Post
Yea, I have a few co-workers that live in the area who I'd probably hang out with. They have other friends, who I've never met but I'm sure I'd be hanging out with them. I've been looking into AVA Ballston

I wouldn’t live here for exactly the reasons that you SHOULD move here. This building is filled with 20-something year olds and on weekend nights you see a slew of neighbors making noise pre-gaming and such. It’s not dorm-room loud but in the common areas it can get pretty busy. It’s also close to everything in ballston.

I think you should do the Arlington move not only to socialize there but because you will find yourself heading to DC much more often. That 25 minute drive turns into a 10 minute one or metro which eliminates time spent looking for parking spots (either at the metro or on the street at your destination).

One last item to consider, make sure that you ask how much parking is where you choose to live. That can quickly end up being a deciding factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: