U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 AM

10 posts, read 35,511 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Marshall/Plains area. Any thoughts? I work in Chantilly and seeking to be in a more country setting. Originally from NY, but do not like "cookie cutter suburbs" and all the the new mc mansions being built. Having a nice walkable town nearby such as Marshall, Plains, Aldie and Middleburg seems nice. Are the schools notable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 08:44 AM

7,926 posts, read 9,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2014 View Post
We are considering moving to the Marshall/Plains area. Any thoughts? I work in Chantilly and seeking to be in a more country setting. Originally from NY, but do not like "cookie cutter suburbs" and all the the new mc mansions being built. Having a nice walkable town nearby such as Marshall, Plains, Aldie and Middleburg seems nice. Are the schools notable?
It is actually called The Plains not just Plains.

Please note that "nearby" is a relative term out here in horse and wine country. Middleburg is 20 minutes from Marshall and Aldie is closer to 30 minutes.

I can't speak to schools, but the downtown area of Marshall has really been growing lately. Some good restaurants.

Your commute won't be easy to Chantilly, unless you are going off-hours. But this may be ok for you. It is for me, as I commute from Middleburg to DC. I, too, hate the cookie cutter developments and truly enjoy living out here. But there are certainly trade-offs.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:10 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
The Plains nor Marshall have much of a walkable downtown area. Walkable, yes, much to see? No. Not that it's barren of places but not a lot there. Warrenton is much more walkable but it's also growing and is not quite the small town USA it used to be. Plus, commuting on Rt. 29 can be real tough so keep this in mind. If you lived near Warrenton and could use Rt. 17 on the Marshall side then you can get over to I 66 and avoid Rt. 29. I like all these areas but Warrenton really has a more walkable friendly downtown area.

Never needed the schools but our niece/nephew have 2 kids in Fauquier schools and they are thriving.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:54 PM

1,966 posts, read 1,165,771 times
Water Bills in Marshall are outrageous.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:43 PM

945 posts, read 663,425 times
Marshall has become quite bustling of late (in comparison to before). I imagine that it will be a hot market soon. I bet that it will go the way of Gainesville/Haymarket in the next 7 years—cookie cutter developments included.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Marshall has become quite bustling of late (in comparison to before). I imagine that it will be a hot market soon. I bet that it will go the way of Gainesville/Haymarket in the next 7 years—cookie cutter developments included.
If this happens it will take many more years than 7. But with Fauquier's opposition to development of housing communities I don't see it happening at all.

Besides. It took many years for Gainesville/Haymarket to become what it is right now.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:45 PM

945 posts, read 663,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
If this happens it will take many more years than 7. But with Fauquier's opposition to development of housing communities I don't see it happening at all.

Besides. It took many years for Gainesville/Haymarket to become what it is right now.
Could be. Who knows. It might end up as carved out, semi-rural like Clifton still is.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:25 PM

23 posts, read 12,060 times
It will not take more than 7 years. Marshall was a nice quiet small town but has recently become a bustling DC suburb. This will only get worse as Van Metre plans to build a couple hundred single family homes and town homes there.

Coming 2019
If quiet and solitude are what you are seeking in your new home community then our planned neighborhoods in Marshall, Virginia (Fauquier County), will be just right for you and for your family. Located just off I-66 surrounded by farms, wineries and quaint small towns, Van Metre at Marshall will offer both single-family homes and townhomes in a variety of style and sizes. The choice will be yours no matter what your looking for. And feature-for-feature Van Metre Homes at Marshall will be an unmatched value across all of Northern Virginia. Look for it soon from Van Metre Homes.

Once this happens, it is only a matter of time before strip malls and big box retailers arrive, followed by more homes. By 2025 Marshall will look like Haymarket! Coming Soon - Van Metre Homes

Look at what happened to Aldie. It used to be a quiet rural area, where homes and land could be found relatively cheaply in comparison to the close in DC suburbs. Now Van Metre and other builders are constructing or plan to construct thousands of homes there and traffic on Route 15 and Route 50 during morning and evening rush hours is terrible! As long as DC commuters are willing to sit in traffic on I-66, builders will keep building further and further out.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:21 AM

Marshall is definitely growing but since I've been here in 73 there has been slow growth and I don't see that changing too much. May now be quicker but still nothing close to G'ville and Haymarket for a lot of years.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:18 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,727,864 times
If you're ok with 90+ minute commute one way then go for it. Miles don't mean much during rush hour here. When looking at high schools I would really compare college readiness and what specialty programs are being offered. Depending on your budget, I would really recommend getting closer to your work place. That kind of commute can be really draining over time. Take a look at the Catharpin area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or