Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 AM

6 posts, read 10,583 times

Advertisements

Our family is moving to NCR spring of 2018. My wife will work at the Pentagon and I will be at Fort Meade. Any suggestions on where to live that has good schools and recommended transportation options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 11:52 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Need to start with your housing budget first. Do you have a range?

Old 10-28-2017, 01:28 AM

774 posts, read 1,047,704 times
There are plenty of options for commuting to the Pentagon:
Request Rejected.

Not so many for commuting to Fort Meade. If you don't want to drive the best option is probably a van pool.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:48 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
There are plenty of options for commuting to the Pentagon
Not so many for commuting to Fort Meade. If you don't want to drive the best option is probably a van pool.
The MARC train from DC to Baltimore (Penn Line) stops in Odenton. There's a shuttle from the Odenton MARC station to Ft. Meade that stops several places on base. See Welcome to Meade Ride | MeadeRide for different Ft. Meade commuting options.

Although we are a NoVA forum, I recommend you and your wife consider living in Maryland to split up the commuting time required. (I see you also posted in the MD forum.) The Pentagon can be reached by the Metro Blue Line. The MARC train originates from Union Station downtown and stops in New Carrolton (inside the I-495 beltway) as well as Seabrook (outside the beltway). Housing prices are likely to be somewhat cheaper though your taxes will be higher. There are many decent places to live east of the beltway though you will need to research the neighborhoods carefully as some areas can be sketchier.

I usually recommend using Zillow to screen real estate. If you don’t know the area, use Trulia. Trulia’s Local Scoop feature will provide you with a color coded overview of the area to see real estate price trends, crime etc. As far as schools go, many people use https://www.greatschools.org/ to screen schools. Don’t take that as gospel, it’s a starting point. When you find a property you may be interested in, CD’s main site provides statistics from state to city down to the microneighborhood area. Then, you can ask specific questions in the appropriate CD subforum.

Welcome to the DC metro area.

Last edited by ersatz; 10-28-2017 at 05:26 AM..

Old 10-28-2017, 10:40 PM

6 posts, read 10,583 times
I apologize for leaving out some important details. We plan to rent as we will most likely only live there 2-3 years. Our budget is between $3-4K a month. Looking for at least 3br/2ba and 2 car garage. We have a middle school aged child so good schools are important to us. I am more familiar with NOVA areas but no very little about Maryland. My initial thoughts are to live in NOVA so my wife has a shorter commute to the Pentagon and I will make the long drive to Ft. Meade. I appreciate all the feedback you can provide.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:47 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padillab74 View Post
I apologize for leaving out some important details. We plan to rent as we will most likely only live there 2-3 years. Our budget is between $3-4K a month. Looking for at least 3br/2ba and 2 car garage. We have a middle school aged child so good schools are important to us. I am more familiar with NOVA areas but no very little about Maryland. My initial thoughts are to live in NOVA so my wife has a shorter commute to the Pentagon and I will make the long drive to Ft. Meade. I appreciate all the feedback you can provide.
Thanks for the details. If you are going to live in Virginia, then I would be sure to live as close to DC or I495 as you can. It will be great for your wife and so-so for you, but if you are near the DC/MD line, it won't be horrible. If you were in Arlington, you could cut through DC and head toward the BW Parkway for your ride to Ft. Meade. You could also look at areas such as the Mt. Vernon/Ft Hunt area which is a decent commute for your wife and puts you close the I495 to head up the Maryland side.

I would avoid the top side of the Beltway at all costs.

Maryland can be iffy. I do know a few people who have had split commutes just like yours. They did tend to live in the Columbia, MD or Howard County area of Maryland close to the PG county line (I believe Laurel is split between two counties). That was a pretty good drive for the Ft. Meade person and a rougher commute for the Pentagon person.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:36 AM

230 posts, read 219,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padillab74 View Post
If you’re set on Virginia, then I recommend looking at West Springfield or Burke. Both are family-oriented suburbs with excellent public schools and good access to the Pentagon — either by express bus or an established form of ad hoc carpooling known as “slugging.”

No matter where you settle in Virginia, you’ll be faced with a long commute to Fort Meade, but folks do it. I think driving would be your best option — over the Wilson Bridge and up the Beltway to the B/W Parkway or I-95.

You may have some difficulty finding a SFH with a 2-car garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: