Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 12:25 PM

229 posts, read 461,563 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I recently got a job offer in DC and I am looking for a room or studio for rent in NoVa within commuting distance. Tried Craigslist but it's full of scammers. Does anyone have other suggestions for how to find an apartment to rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,253 posts, read 4,294,883 times
There are lots of legitimate posts on Craigslist for rooms for rent. You'll just have to weed through them. For an apartment, however, I'd suggest a realtor in this area. I know of an amazing one. He helped my wife find a townhouse to rent here before we met, and also found our house for us after we got married. I'd be happy to refer you to him.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:06 PM

6,530 posts, read 8,330,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
There are lots of legitimate posts on Craigslist for rooms for rent. You'll just have to weed through them. For an apartment, however, I'd suggest a realtor in this area. I know of an amazing one. He helped my wife find a townhouse to rent here before we met, and also found our house for us after we got married. I'd be happy to refer you to him.
I agree that CraigsList is not a bad resource. Apartments.com and trulia.com are good search engines. Since you mention a room, also try roommates.com.

Because there is an abundance of rooms/apartments in the area, I don't feel like a Realtor is necessary. Unless the LL is using a Realtor (and therefore, expects to pay the fee), you could end up having to pay the Realtor's fee and many charge a fee of up to one month's rent.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:27 PM

26,689 posts, read 41,609,041 times
Craigslist is how I got my room in (West of) Ballston. The scammers are easy to spot if you know what you are doing.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:50 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,605,179 times
Everyone I know uses Craigslist.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:00 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,282,422 times
Craigslist.
I’ve seen a few people starting to use Facebook Marketplace.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,658,396 times
Craigslist
Militarybyowner.com
Trulia

Old 11-05-2017, 02:25 AM

549 posts, read 356,023 times
Before moving into any apartment community, read the reviews at apartmentratings.com or similar apartment review website. One warning here, do ignore the short sentence or two or paragraph reviews that are all positive, as often these are put up the leasing office. Better to read the reviews which are longer with a mix of good and bad. As with any product or service, look for any recurring issues mentioned in reviews, not just one which could be a disgruntled tenant.

Also be aware of the soundproofing or more often the lack of between floors, walls, or to the outside. Unless it is a high rise or sometimes old construction, not concrete but rather wood frame is often the norm in this area, with developers looking to put up buildings cheaply, as unlike say Florida no hurricane-type building code standards required here, and government officials seldom live apartments themselves. A community you are visiting may try to woo you in getting you to rent with this feature or that, but often will avoid discussing the sound issues even when asked. An onsite inspection at different times casually asking current residents, if the community office allows (otherwise they may be hiding something), is a good way to check.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:15 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,679,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Craigslist is how I got my room in (West of) Ballston. The scammers are easy to spot if you know what you are doing.
What are some tips that you can give us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia