U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 06:59 PM

91 posts, read 310,765 times

Advertisements

hi nova experts!

we are moving to the nova area within the next 2-3 months for my husband's job in herndon. we are moving from a much less expensive housing market, but still want some house.

husband has the hybrid car and is ok with a medium-ish commute. he heads in around 6am, but i do expect him to sit in traffic a bit in the evenings. that sounds a bit unavoidable in the DC area, eh?

have grade school aged kids and are looking for good schools, a 3 bedroom house that is not a dump and we have about $350k to spend. i know-a long shot. my kids and husband love the country home gig, but i'd still like a bit of diversity in the community.

i see homes in east manassas that have 1/2 to 1 acre and go to decent schools (ranked 9/10 on greatschools.net). warrenton appears to have some neat home options, but the school stats show little diversity...

are there spots in gainesville or haymarket you'd suggest?

can you help me with the following:

1. ideas on neighborhoods we should check out that offer homes with at least .3 acre lots (preferably more) and good schools? love new homes, but do need trees and an established neighborhood feel.

2.we need to keep the commute to herndon to 40+ minutes in and maybe you can help me estimate the trip home?? double that??

3.anyone have stats on the avg. days on the market for sfh in pwcounty? also list to sold price ratios?

thanks. have a great day. thank you in advance for your help.

-an appreciative relocating mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:42 PM

280 posts, read 970,472 times
I'd check the towns of Hamilton or Purcellville.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 PM

7 posts, read 23,532 times
Those are a lot of questions. Most of the NoVa market is incredibly slow right now. For 350K or under your choices are more limited especially if you want to stay under a 45 minute commute. You are looking at mostly smaller homes in that price range. The evening commute will be the bigger problem as you mentioned.

This is just such a large area it is hard to narrow it down without you looking at the areas. Prince William will be further away in terms of commute than Loudoun. If you are in Loudoun you will probably be looking at using the Dulles Greenway if you are further out which can be pricey.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 PM

guess at commute from herndon to manassas vs. commute from herndon to hamilton??

any thoughts on that?

thanks.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:43 AM

957 posts, read 1,299,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo View Post
hi nova experts!

i3.anyone have stats on the avg. days on the market for sfh in pwcounty? also list to sold price ratios?

You can find stats for days on the market here

Monthy Real Estate Trend Indicator (http://www.mris.com/reports/stats/monthly_reti.cfm - broken link)

I don't know about a complete listing of list to sold ratios, but you can find some of them here

[SIZE=2]Northern Virginia Housing Bubble Fallout

Best of luck with the house hunting.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by ersatz; 03-19-2008 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: url link correction

Old 03-19-2008, 06:28 AM

112 posts, read 771,351 times
If you're considering Woodbridge or certain parts of Manassas, your commute on an excellent day will be 45 minutes and that's leaving at 6am. However the commute home will take probably 15 mins longer. It tends to be lighter during the summer months but from Oct-Dec it's not pretty.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:16 AM

thanks for the link for the stats-that is really helpful.

thank you also for the general scoop on commute time from manassas to herndon.

i did poke around in the hamilton, purcellville area and there are some nice looking properties. the only drawback seems to be that it is about 95% caucasian-not a whole lot of diversity out there. hmmmmm.

thanks again. i am very open to all of your thoughts and suggestions. i am all ears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia