Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 10:41 AM

23 posts, read 27,260 times

Advertisements

I am considering a career as an accountant for the federal government. I would start as a GS 5 or 7. My question is:is that enough to live on minimalistically, in Alexandria?
Considerations:
-I will rely solely on public transportation. I will have no car but I might buy a motorcycle.
-I will live in a studio or with roommates.
-I have substantial student loans but I will most likely establish an IBR so my payments will be <500.
-I am single with no kids.
-I hope to buy a condo sometime in the future but it is not a priority now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 11:16 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
So that's starting at a range of about $37K-$45K.

If you are working for the federal government, you are eligible for the transit subsidy. Not sure what the limit is on that currently but it should cover most, if not all, of your transportation costs.

In my opinion, to be comfortable with loan payments, food, and nominal utilities, you will probably need to find a multi-roommate situation where you can get a room for about $900 per month.

The good news is that if you are a good employee, you should move up relatively quickly in the federal government. There is a big push to hire accountants (has been a push for several years) due to all the auditing going on. I'm actually surprised that you can't come in any higher graded than that.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:47 AM

I found some rooms for $700-900. I even found a feww studios for sub-$1000. With no substantial work experience, could I get in at a higher GS?
Would you recommend getting an affordable motorcycle?

Old 12-23-2017, 11:50 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NawfalKulam View Post
I found some rooms for $700-900. I even found a feww studios for sub-$1000. With no substantial work experience, could I get in at a higher GS?
Would you recommend getting an affordable motorcycle?
Yes, if you can afford it, a motorcycle might be nice so that you can get around and not be totally reliant on public trans or Uber. But only if it doesn't break your budget.

Are you a recent college grad coming in on the intern program? If so, then that is probably the way to start. If you have work experience, you can come in higher. There is an associate's program (similar to internship but employees have previous work experience). They generally come in as GS-9s.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:53 PM

I will be graduating soon but i have some internship experience.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:10 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
I survived in Alexandria as a G-7 a few years ago. It's doable but I lived in Arlandria (which has cheap apartments). Anywhere else and you'd have to find something rent controlled.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:01 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
I do not think the important question is if you can survive on GS5 - GS7 salary but if and when you can expect to get promotions?

Old 12-28-2017, 08:04 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
From what I can gather, motorcycles can use the express lanes on I95 free of charge, and I presume will be able to do so on the I395 express lanes once they are in effect (currently they are HOV3, open to motorcycles, no tolls) If you are comfortable commuting on your motorcycle, that makes some areas that are a difficult commute for most into a relatively good commute. You can easily commute from West Alexandria near Landmark, or from the parts of Fairfax southwest along I 95 (Springfield, Newington, Lorton)

Old 12-28-2017, 09:02 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
From what I can gather, motorcycles can use the express lanes on I95 free of charge, and I presume will be able to do so on the I395 express lanes once they are in effect (currently they are HOV3, open to motorcycles, no tolls) If you are comfortable commuting on your motorcycle, that makes some areas that are a difficult commute for most into a relatively good commute. You can easily commute from West Alexandria near Landmark, or from the parts of Fairfax southwest along I 95 (Springfield, Newington, Lorton)
Interestingly, when I asked VDOT on their Facebook page why motorcycles are exempt they said it was due to the size (maximizing space and motorcycles taking up less of it). That doesn’t seem right to me.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:36 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Interestingly, when I asked VDOT on their Facebook page why motorcycles are exempt they said it was due to the size (maximizing space and motorcycles taking up less of it). That doesn’t seem right to me.
I always thought it was because their engine was smaller so less pollution like HOV cars. That’s based on zero facts though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: