U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2006, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 7,520 times

Advertisements

I know. Sounds like one of those "duh?" questions, doesn't it? Common sense suggest that one working in Arlington ought to think about living in the same city.

That said, here's a little bit about who we are:

Empty nest, baby-boomer couple (fifties), and very active. We grew up in the south, she in Florida, me in North Carolina, and we still cling to our southern heritage.

Our friends are usually couples, and we consider ourselves very much to be multicultural. We are comfortable dining, hanging out with, and vacationing with like-minded couples of any race. So diversity is important to us.

We love golf, and tend to gravitate toward country clubs, but only because of the social networking advantages.

My wife is a school teacher and I am a media executive. Our professions enable us to command a good wage, but we are not well off. We're upper-middle-class working stiffs trying to save for retirement and also have a good time while we still have our health.

I was downsized in Phoenix, AZ. We sold our house and are living temporarily in Florida while I find something permanent. Currently I'm looking at an opening in Arlington.

On the one hand, we'd love easy access to D.C. and all its cultural and diversity benefits. On the other hand, we'd love to be out in the country with a home on the golf course. I got to thinking about all that and decided being close to work was better than being close to a golf course! LOL.

So how is Arlington? Keep in mind that my bride of 25 years is a country girl. I grew up in a small town to but I'm fairly urban.

I'm going to try to talk her into living into a townhome for the first time in an urban enviornment. So how's the Arlington area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 04:06 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,350,006 times
Personally, I think that Arlington is terrific. I think it would be a good match for the both of you. While Arlington is an urban environment in the sense that it's close to DC and has a higher density than your average suburb, it's not the choking 24/7 horn-honking, neon-signed urbanity of most cities. Arlington is positively suburban in quite a few locations. Generally it consists of older two-story post-war brick homes lining tree-lined streets home to many families and older residents, high-rise condos and apartments, many luxury, in the areas closest to DC where many young twentysomethings live, and low-slung garden-style brick apartment complexes with heavy populations of immigrants. The townhouse communities are generally new and offer a wide mixture of people. There are older retired suburbanites moving closer in to take advantage of a more urban lifestyle, young families just starting out who can't afford a single family homes just yet, recent college grad pulling together to afford to buy a home together, etc. Arlington offers a nice mix of things. It has good access to public transit and you can be in DC in a matter of 10-15 minutes via Metro and Arlington has a good selection of restaurants and nightlife and shopping in it's own right. It's a multicultural city and for may years was the main nexus of immigrant life in Northern Virginia, especially for Latinos, although that has been decreasing in recent years as now most immigrants (Latinos and others) live further out in the suburbs for cost reasons and the increased yuppiefication of Arlington has meant that there has actually been a slight drop in the black and Latino population. As a whole however, the DC area is extremely diverse which makes for great dining; Ethiopian, Indian, Salvadoran, Bolivian, Afghan, Vietnamese, Jamaican, Thai, etc. Arlington is fairly expensive unfortunately and townhouses that are constructed tend to be newer luxury townhomes and in change, pretty pricy. Even the older single family homes generally go for around 700K. Most people who didn't buy long ago are renters.

I think that Arlington is a good introduction to life in an urban area and would suit you and your wife just fine. Some aspects, like the traffic and the hustle and bustle might take a bit to get used, but Arlington isn't as overwhelming or intimidating as your traditional big city like DC.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,520 times
dullnboring,

Thanks! We're certainly going to take a close look at Arlington. If the move happens we may rent for a while to see if my wife can adjust to the faster pace -- or insists that we move out to Haymarket! LOL.

Your advice was just perfect.

Cigar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or