Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:27 PM

621 posts, read 3,197,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
HOA's are perfect for control freaks who want to control others by forcing their own opinions of what is good and bad on others. People are so quick to throw out freedom in the name of toilet paper (fiat money that is). Don't like your neighbor, put up a good fence, or plant some quick growing trees, on the borders.
Well I guess I'm a control freak then. I refuse to put up with people's gaudy, tacky taste and if having a HOA means I don't have to, then so be it. Keeps me happy. I have just seen way to many lawn ornaments, decorations, obnoxious colors to HOPE my neighbor doesn't do that one day. Or if they move out, you never know what you are going to get with new neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think it's going too far to say that they are "lucky". I would guess that a huge majority of property owners take care of their property.
I agree. I guess I couldn't think of a better word at the time. Yes, a lot of people do take care of their property.

I just don't like a lot of the decorating people do. I understand everyone has different tastes, but I just believe that should be left inside the home and not to make a circus show out of your front lawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:31 PM

449 posts, read 1,387,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
I agree with the quoted poster. I'd rather have a piece of mind, knowing that my neighborhood won't become trashed because people come in and ruin it.

For the above poster-that kind of thing does make you lose money by bringing property values down or just can't sell the house. It is just what you said-an INVESTMENT- and you should want to protect your investment. If somebody moves in next door and completely trashes it or not even that, puts out all kind of lawn ornaments, cars on blocks etc. people are not going to want to buy your house. And the more people who start slacking in home maintenance in that neighborhood will drive property values DOWN. (If anyone lives in Haymarket, VA they know the house right off of the exit on 66 on the right side with about a million things in the yard-including some santas and snowmen from christmas time! it's a perfect example of what can happen)
People are lucky if they live in a neighborhood with no HOA and everyone takes care of their house. I think that's a great thing, atleast you know everyone on your street has pride.

I'll go with the HOA. I just prefer piece of mind .
And Sterling Park for that matter. No HOAs and the place shows it.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:41 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,061,777 times
I guess when I bought my home, I was not buying an investment, I was buying a home for myself and my family. Perhaps that answer is to have neighborhoods listed as investment properties or homes. I live in a Townhouse as it is only my husband and I and 1600 sq ft is plenty for us to deal with. Where I grew up in PA all the adjoining houses were painted as the owner wished, the lawns were there own, etc and absolutely no one died of horror, in fact those neighborhoods still are highly sought after because the houses are well kept. I live in an HOA and I keep the outside neat and tidy, but no more than that, because I do not have the time to draw detailed garden plans, present them a week in advance, beg for permission and then have to accomplish it all within a timeline. So instead of working to makethe house better, I just keep the status quo.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:32 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,459,153 times
I think because such large home are built so close together it is easy to offend someone. I grew up on a 1 acre lot so it really did not matter if my neighbors had tacky yard ornaments - and I can see how nowadays how some things can be annoying.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,360,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Well I guess I'm a control freak then. I refuse to put up with people's gaudy, tacky taste and if having a HOA means I don't have to, then so be it. Keeps me happy. I have just seen way to many lawn ornaments, decorations, obnoxious colors to HOPE my neighbor doesn't do that one day. Or if they move out, you never know what you are going to get with new neighbors.
Why would you worry about how your neighbor decorates their lawn? They may find your tastes just as bad as you find theirs, you understand? You may find the tables turned on you with HOA's someday. People shouldn't be so quick to try to control others. Freedom is a valuable thing, more so than having all the houses look the same.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:17 PM

19 posts, read 46,030 times
Are HOA's common all over Virginia? We're thinking of moving to Charlottesville and they seem to be common there too. I'm worried I won't be able to find a neighborhood without one. I can't imagine not being able to landscape my yard and decorate it the way I want to.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:37 AM

449 posts, read 1,387,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Why would you worry about how your neighbor decorates their lawn? They may find your tastes just as bad as you find theirs, you understand? You may find the tables turned on you with HOA's someday. People shouldn't be so quick to try to control others. Freedom is a valuable thing, more so than having all the houses look the same.
Lawn decorations and the sort are not the issue, though some HOAs do get really picky on trivial stuff like that. Where HOAs are a necessity is in areas where people can and do leave their cars on blocks permanently; only cut their grass when the blades get to 8 inches in length, paint is peeling off their homes, garbage is strewn all over their lawns, etc. People have the right to live how they want; however, there are limits to rights I sujppose, and HOAs try to enforce some level of common sense.

It has been mentioned that the main reason why there are HOAs in NOVA is becaause there are so few real towns and cities. HOAs seem to be common becasue county laws either do not apply in these situations or if they do sheriffs' departments are relectant to enforce them. Regardless, most HOAs try to mirror most ordanences in cities in the U.S. In that sense, HOAs are not that restrictive at all; no more so than what cities enforce. Now for those select HOAs that state people must paint their homes and outside doors a certain set of colors...well, that seems way to extreme.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:53 AM

18,332 posts, read 26,360,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
Lawn decorations and the sort are not the issue, though some HOAs do get really picky on trivial stuff like that. Where HOAs are a necessity is in areas where people can and do leave their cars on blocks permanently; only cut their grass when the blades get to 8 inches in length, paint is peeling off their homes, garbage is strewn all over their lawns, etc. People have the right to live how they want; however, there are limits to rights I sujppose, and HOAs try to enforce some level of common sense.
The only limits to rights are when actions physically hurt another. At least, that was the intention of our founders. A neighbor with cars on blocks, tall grass (or no grass at all), peeling paint, etc., in no way hurts me and I could care less about it. If their place bothers me I'd put up a fence or plant some fast growing trees and hide them from view if I didn't already have them. People would their lives far more free of stress if they didn't get so concerned about such unimportant things. Now, a person trying to control what I do, OTOH, would receive a less than pleasant response from me, as in, run off my property. I'm just waiting to see if some control freak buys land near mine and tries something, it'd be an interesting experience for them, but I suspect such people won't move near the area, given the wildness/freedom of the area (and they couldn't do anything anyways given that my land is patented with no restrictions ).

Old 03-30-2008, 08:21 AM

190 posts, read 842,339 times
Having lived in bith neighborhoods with and without HOA's....my vote is I'd rather have it. Sure the HOA can get to be a bit of a hassle, but the overall policing and protection of the neighborhood quality is worth it. Right now I live in a neighborhood with no HOA. My next door neighbor has furniture all over his lawn, just left there. His front entry way is where he now keeps all the stuff that used to be in his now demolished shed. His driveway is a stroage area with furniture covered by tarps. And since he and his family have 5 cars and limited driveway space, they often park in front of my house. My other neighbor started an addition but left it half finished. He also has a car on blocks in his yard, and due to the construction not being finished, half of his front yard has no lawn just dirt.....and I live in a fairly expensive neighborhood!

Last edited by novaman; 03-30-2008 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-30-2008, 02:09 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,834,010 times
You know, since so many of us feel strongly on this issue, it might be a good idea to start a list of "good" HOAs vs. "bad" HOAs. It could be a real help to the people who are moving here and trying to decide where to live.

I'll start by mentioning Cascades. IMO, Cascades belongs on the "good" HOA list. They have a lot of rules, but they don't seem to be concerned about things like door color or lawn ornaments. I'll post some photos here to show you what I mean. There is a townhouse on Buoy Street with a brilliant purple front door. It's been there for years, and the association has never complained. People use it as a landmark when giving directions. And there's a house on McGees Ferry Way that has a giant rock in the front yard. It's as big as a car. The kids play on it and the neighbors laughingly call it "the big baked potatoe" but the association never told the homeowners to remove it. They seem pretty relaxed in that way. My daughter lives next to a house with several fair statues... I'll try to post aphoto tomorrow if I can get my daughter to take one.

OTOH, when Sterling Cab rented a house there and parked the fleet in the street and began doing repair work they took action immediately. They are strong when they need to be strong, but otherwise mellow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia