U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:48 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,354,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Your concern should probably be like......How much is it gonna cost on weekly basis?
agree 100% on that comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 AM

352 posts, read 1,441,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
agree 100% on that comment
$8.20 per day = $41/week, gas included. See my comment on the other thread which our friend started.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 AM

7 posts, read 24,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Wow! I have a friend who lives in Manassas. She drives to a parking lot, and takes a bus from Manassas to West Falls Church. It works well for her since her workplace is on the Orange Line. Where the heck is your place of employment that it is another 1hr on the Metro from Union Station or L'Enfant (about 1 hr from Manassas according to the VRE schedule)?
I tried that and no matter what time I left it always took 30-45 minutes to get to WFC metro and another 30-45 (depending on how many times metro broke down or the trained stopped) just to get to China Town Metro stop. and coming home was even worse!!!!!! Try the same metro commute and then and 1-1 1/2 hours coming down 66West back to Manassas. I moved and will NEVER do it again.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,512 times
I live in Ohio, I am a physician and it takes my 3 minutes to get to work...and I do not live in a rural area
I am thinking about the Fredricksburg area to live and work in

Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 AM

606 posts, read 1,514,894 times
I feel like my 35-50 minute morning commute from Fairfax to Rockville and my 40-70 minute reverse commute in the afternoon are actually pretty good for this area. (Sadly.)

I used to do South Baltimore (Brooklyn Park) to College Park every day. That was about 30 miles and 40-70 minutes one way. Still better than many people in the area.

And both of those commutes were much better than what I dealt with in Atlanta, where I would do a 75-120 minute commute from Duluth to downtown Atlanta, via I-85 to Doraville MARTA Station to Peachtree Center Station in downtown Atlanta. At least I could read a book on the train, though.

Probably the person I've encountered with the most insane commute drives from Point-of-Rocks, MD to (suburban) Alexandria, VA and back every day.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,858,034 times
I like my commute right now. I roll out of bed and then I commute downstairs to my home office. In the last few months my job has switched to mostly telecommuting. A little strange at first but now I'm loving it.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,638,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
Probably the person I've encountered with the most insane commute drives from Point-of-Rocks, MD to (suburban) Alexandria, VA and back every day.
I used to work with a guy in Ashburn who commuted from York, PA - he worked from home a couple of days a week.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,757,451 times
Currently I'm doing Havre de Grace, MD to Bethesda. 73 miles one way. I could take MARC at Aberdeen, but there are only about 4 trains/day that go past Baltimore. Plus, its all the way into Union Station then back out the red line. Eh...

Oh, so why am I posting in NoVA? Looking to move back to NoVa (lived in Lorton 2002-2006). And I stay with friends in Falls Chruch during the week. So really, not bad overall. Drive down Monday, stay in FC Mon & Tue nights, drive home Wed, work from home Thurs. Working 10 hour days. It works, for now.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:35 AM

162 posts, read 489,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I like my commute right now. I roll out of bed and then I commute downstairs to my home office. In the last few months my job has switched to mostly telecommuting. A little strange at first but now I'm loving it.
I couldn't work at home. I am a people person that enjoys interacting with co-workers in the work place. While I agree one could be more productive telecommuting, I need the interaction with the work environment. Heck, if I'm on vacation for more than a week, I tend to miss going to work. Is that bad or what?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:43 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,318,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman1 View Post
I couldn't work at home. I am a people person that enjoys interacting with co-workers in the work place. While I agree one could be more productive telecommuting, I need the interaction with the work environment. Heck, if I'm on vacation for more than a week, I tend to miss going to work. Is that bad or what?
You don't have to telecommute all the time. You can blend it so you are in the office some days and at home (or wherever you opt to telecommute) other days. That's what I do. I'm managing a project right now that includes five not-full-time-telecommuters (including myself) and it can work quite well. You still have the personal interaction IRL and you enjoy the non-commute with virtual interaction through IM, email, and phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or