Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 05:14 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times

Advertisements

A birthday party with friends is not required. Growing up, I had three birthday parties where friends were invited.

One when I was around 3-4. Less than five little girls dressed up and eating cake from fancy plates in the dining room.

One when I was about 9, at a roller skating rink.

One when I was 13. It was a supervised boy/girl party at my house.

Every other year was just a celebration with my immediate family.

If you don't like the suggestions given, and can't afford other places, then don't have a party. You child will not be scarred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 05:33 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
A birthday party with friends is not required. Growing up, I had three birthday parties where friends were invited.

One when I was around 3-4. Less than five little girls dressed up and eating cake from fancy plates in the dining room.

If you don't like the suggestions given, and can't afford other places, then don't have a party. You child will not be scarred.
I also generally didn't get large parties; didn't have the funds in my family but it didn't matter because I had a great time anyways

Why not have it partially outside? It's not that bad out there and having a birthday outdoors/at least part outdoors is very enjoyable.

My favorite birthday treat was to go skiing when I was a kid

You can have outdoor games set up and this would not cost much.

Any nearby YMCA? Generally it's not that expensive to take them swimming for an afternoon.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
So all the suggestions so far are near the 300 mark - do people just not have parties? How do you handle it?
It can be pricey. We've spent over $400 before for bouncy house places like Monkey Joes or Jumping Joeys in Falls Church. Bowling isn't too bad but still adds up when you factor in food but I think we still spent under $300 when we did that. We just did our 5 year olds bday at Chuck E Cheese and it wasn't too bad. Around $230 for everything.

A popular one now is the laser tag that comes to your house. Friends of ours have done that, although I don't think it's particularly cheap either.

It definitely isn't fun spending that kind of $ when we used to just be able to do it at home for cheap when they were younger, but worth it for them to have a really fun bday.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:47 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

I agree. My parents gave me the option: birthday party or a birthday present. I had perhaps 5 parties from 5-18 (5, 8, 9, 10, and 16). Everything from run around the house to painting pottery at those paint your own places to rock climbing.

Have you looked into doing a Nature Center Party? Walker Nature Center says $220 for max 15 kids.
https://www.reston.org/Parks,Recreat...4/Default.aspx

Old 01-29-2018, 05:02 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbakerman View Post
The year my oldest turned 5, his little brother was 18 months. We were slammed with life in general and ceded the older one's party to House of Bounce (now closed) in Manassas. We had them do the party favors, all the food options, etc., and there was at least 20 kids. I remember paying the bill at the end and having my jaw-drop at the total of near $700. It was super convenient to not have to plan anything but sending out invitations, but that one got away from us fast.

Wow!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:02 AM

979 posts, read 1,774,985 times
We do parties at home. My kids are much younger, but they have enjoyed things like a home ice cream sundae bar, pizza party, home movie night (5 Below sells tons of the individual boxes of candy like they have at movie theaters)...I've rented a bounce house for our back yard, but only since we've moved to Virginia Beach, so not sure of prices for that in NoVA.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:47 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Mnseca, has your son said what he would like to do? He might surprise you by saying "Eat pizza and play video games".

And even though it's winter, as long as there is no precipitation and light winds, they can still play outside. Kids can tolerate cold pretty well.

Last edited by HokieFan; 01-29-2018 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-29-2018, 11:02 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
I tried to post on this over the weekend, but forgot to login first, and well, dealing with the flu over the weekend, other things sort've "came up" at the time... :-(

Our son is 9. We've done the laser tags, bouncy houses, trampoline parties, etc.. Each roughly $300 to $500 when done and said for. But the best one, which was the easiest and cheapest by far, was his last one.

SuperKicks in Ashburn.

He takes karate, and they do a birthday party thing for kids regardless if they're signed up or not. After all of the years of bouncy houses and the like, putting a group of 20 boys on a padded floor and letting them go nuts, turned out to be, as my son said "the bestest birthday party EVER!"

they have a great staff who manages the party and makes sure everyone gets to be involved. Of the 20 or so kids that were there, my son and one other were the only two kids who knew anything about karate, yet they all had a genuine blast. Pizza included from neighboring pizza joint.

Might be worth a call. Guy who runs it is called "Master Alley".

Old 01-29-2018, 11:07 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Our son is 9. We've done the laser tags, bouncy houses, trampoline parties, etc.. Each roughly $300 to $500 when done and said for. But the best one, which was the easiest and cheapest by far, was his last one.

I'm still struggling with it costing $300 for "5-6 kids" as the OP indicated. I see your parties had 20 kids.

But your suggestions sounds like a great one!

Old 01-29-2018, 12:23 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm still struggling with it costing $300 for "5-6 kids" as the OP indicated. I see your parties had 20 kids.

But your suggestions sounds like a great one!
The issue I see is that it’s a minimum. Most places have a base price of $200/300 for 10/15 kids so even if you have 5, it’s the same cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia