Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 06:52 PM

50 posts, read 114,255 times

Advertisements

...where would you live? I am considering a job in Herndon that will move to Warrenton in a couple years. If we bought around the Warrenton area how long of a commute would that be? Would you recommend renting in Herndon for a couple years and then buying after the office has moved? We have four kids and would like to minimize the disruption to their schooling if possible. The other thing is if we wait until after the office has moved, we could then live even further out and not have too bad of a commute.

We can spend up to 600-650k and would like some land. Is that possible in the areas around Warrenton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 03:27 PM

81 posts, read 357,027 times
We live in Opal which is about 5 miles south of Warrenton. It takes my hubby anywhere from 60-90 minutes to get to Herndon, depending on the time of day he commutes. I am positive that you can find a very nice house on some land for the amount you specified.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 PM

9 posts, read 34,594 times
I live in Warrenton, right outside of the downtown area, and work in Herndon by the clocktower center. It takes a little under an hour to commute unless there is an accident. We moved from Bristow and love it here in Warrenton.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 25,678 times
Are you sure you will stay with your job once it moves to Warrenton? If so, I personally would hold off to move with the market conditions the way they are. Hopefully in two years your property will be worth more than it is now. If you are currently renting then now is an excellent time to buy IF you are going to be staying long term. Too much uncertainty to purchase now if you might be moving again in the near future.

The commute from Herndon to Warrenton would be going against traffic which would make it easier. I guess it just really depends on how much you want to keep the kids where they are.

Best of luck.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:39 AM

50 posts, read 114,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova4life View Post
Are you sure you will stay with your job once it moves to Warrenton? If so, I personally would hold off to move with the market conditions the way they are. Hopefully in two years your property will be worth more than it is now. If you are currently renting then now is an excellent time to buy IF you are going to be staying long term. Too much uncertainty to purchase now if you might be moving again in the near future.

The commute from Herndon to Warrenton would be going against traffic which would make it easier. I guess it just really depends on how much you want to keep the kids where they are.

Best of luck.
We currently own our home...in Colorado, lol. The market here is slow, but not as bad as other areas I've read about. It didn't go up as much here during the "boom" and hence prices are not falling as fast or hard. If we can sell our home here, which I think we can, I am thinking we would like to buy there to take advantage of the market conditions. And we wouldn't want to buy again there, so deciding where to live there becomes a key decision, unless we rent.

Just to get a bit more specific, the job in Herndon is SE of Dulles, just east of 28. The new location outside Warrenton is in the Vint Hill Farms area. I've never been there before, but I believe it is east of Warrenton. Maybe some of you nice folks could clue me in a bit more.

When we lived in Nova the last time (10 years ago) it was in Round Hill with a commute to Leesburg and didn't make it down much to the Warrenton area, so please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks again!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:42 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,649 times
Vint Hill is far far east Warrenton. I'd say you'd be closer to Gainesville for shopping etc. It's really pretty along Vint Hill. There are some gorgeous homes behind the FAA building.

If it were me, I'd buy a home in the Vint Hill area or even Gainesville and commute to Herndon. I'd hate to move twice in a two year period. If you really want land, you'll have to go further into Warrenton.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:55 AM

81 posts, read 357,027 times
VInt Hill is also where a brand new Elementary school (Greenville)is opening in the fall. It is also close to a brand new HS (Kettle Run)and new middle school (Auburn). Very nice area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia