U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,111 times

Advertisements

I would truly appreciate some help! My husband is being transfered from Houston, TX to Washington DC. We are trying to determine the best area to move our young family within about 30 miles of DC. We have been looking at Alexandria, VA, but would like some details about the city; i.e. what are the best areas for schools, low crime, etc. We would start by renting, preferably a single family home or townhome, before we decide to buy. We are looking for at least 3 bedrooms with 2 baths and a garage for $2300 or less a month. We are used to the suburban lifestyle with schools and shopping nearby. We will be moving in June/July. Our daughter will be starting 3rd grade. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 07:12 PM

11,387 posts, read 20,195,950 times
I can't help you out w/the schools (I always assumed they were good?) - I would also assume you probably want a townhouse, this area doesn't have alot of homes w/garages (we just deal w/parking in driveway and/or street).

BUT, that being said, I feel very safe in my neighborhood, it's becoming very diverse, which is fine, it's not fine that some choose to clean out their cars and dump their trash in whichever home yard they don't live in but have parked next to. Other than that, there are many in the neighborhood that have lived here forever, there are also young couples, children ranging from newborns to young adults.

It's too bad you weren't looking a bit earlier, a home previously for sale (Cape Cod) it had a finished basement, etc. - was up for sale but they rented it out. Hopefully you'll hear from others in the area (Rosemont, areas off Telegraph Rd., Rose Hill, etc.) - we're in the West end - near Foxchase.

Personally, I like the location, there is so much that is convenient, etc. - good idea to rent for a time though to get a feel for the area - at certain times there is certainly traffic, but we're very Metro accessible.

I hope this answers something? lol

Old 03-22-2008, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,111 times
Thanks for taking the time to respond, Flamingo! I am feeling very overwhelmed with the move...any information I can get, I'll take!

Old 03-22-2008, 08:10 PM

11,387 posts, read 20,195,950 times
Feel free to DM - you can check statistics at AlexandriaVa.gov - good luck and keep in touch.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,523 times
Default In same boat...

Kimbomev, we're in Dallas and headed to NOVA this summer. My husband is taking a job in the Rosslyn area and we would like to keep the commute minimal with 3 young kids. I'm in sticker shock after spending days on MLS looking at various areas. I think our best bet is renting until we find an area we like with good schools and are family friendly.

Good luck to you and let me know if you get any good information.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 PM

3,286 posts, read 10,574,783 times
I live near King & 395 and absolutely love it (22311 - also near Foxchase). Although I'm in an apartment there are a good number of townhomes nearby and the area is very convenient to shopping, Old Town, Arlington, DC, etc.

That said, we're moving soon, but only because my roommate and I both take the metro to work and got tired of taking the bus (her hours are less regular and hard to work with). That's really my only complaint: can't walk to a metro station. Even if you can't drive to work, there's a lot of buses, shuttles, etc. to the stations.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:07 AM

40 posts, read 131,640 times
My family lived in the Hayfield Farms subdivision of Alexandria (22315) and loved it! Very safe small town feel in this area, tight knit neighborhood, shopping and schools right there also. Our daughter went to Hayfield Elementary and our son right across the street to Hayfield MS/HS. Although the high school is large, our son never had any problems at all. The schools are literally just blocks from the schools and kids walk to/from school safely. We rented a 4 bd. house for $1895. mo. Kingstowne is adjacent to this area and is also very nice although mainly a townhouse community, but lots of nice shopping, community pools restaurants etc.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:38 AM

798 posts, read 2,480,577 times
We are also in the 22315 area of Alexandria and love the area. We live by Island Creek/Kingstowne whiich are also very popular areas. We don't have kids in school but have many in the neighborhood and their parents are happy with the schools. These are Fairfax County schools. You might want to check out militarybyowner.com They have rentals as well as homes for sale listed. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:22 AM

45 posts, read 149,156 times
I just wanted to point out this neat little tool:

Grocery Stores & Drug Stores in Alexandria City, VA

With it you can see all the crime reports for a certain area. Keep in mind to actually look at what the crimes are, because some of them are very minor things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia