U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 AM

367 posts, read 760,787 times

Advertisements

Several years back on 66 I was caught doing 85/65, anything over 80 is reckless driving, I went into the court by myself and there was a lady that came out beforehand to make deals, I asked that my misdemenor be lessen to infraction they agreed as long as I paid the full price of doing 85/65. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,685,249 times
You got a better chance if you have a clean record. You can take a safe driving class online and get like 3 or 5 good points from that.

Ignore VRE332 and other who like to pontificate. I'm sure they live perfect lives.

Being from the south, I know you aren't used to Virginia police. When I drive down south, people reguarly go like 80-90 because cops are virtually nonexistent. My sister reguarly did this between Columbia, SC and Atlanta, GA and was never pulled over. Can't do that in VA though, because you will be caught.

Having said that, 55 is the highest speed limit on every single highway in the DC area, so slown down. I usually try to stay under 70 and cops won't care. On the beltway aka the autobahn, maybe 75. You should never go more than 20+ over or 80mph+. Use your cruise control next time.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 AM

367 posts, read 760,787 times
If he is from out of state the points arent a problem.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:19 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,818,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
If he is from out of state the points arent a problem.
Also because this is from six years ago the points would have been removed by now anyway

Old 07-30-2014, 09:24 AM

835 posts, read 853,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALdriver View Post
well its nice to get such positive and constructive comments on this thread... I feel like maybe i should futher explain and give background....
1. I am a very safe driver.. never been in a car accident and I have only received 1 traffic ticket in the past 8 years.
2. I was driving back from visiting my parents in birmingham, al. So i was on the last 1.5hrs of a 11hr road trip
3. I didnt realize the speed limit on I-66 dropped to 55mph and my foot just got a little heavy ( I guess this has never happened to a Virginian?) and I was driving late at night and the road was pretty empty
4. I am NOT from maryland.... born and raised in ALABAMA

Anyways I thought I might get some constructive advice about how to handle the situation

I guess the southern hospitality does not extend to people from other states if they make a mistake?

Hi OP. About 5 years ago, I received a reckless driving ticket (87 in a 65) in Orange County, VA. I did not have a lawyer and because it was my first (and hopefully last ) offense, I was mandated to one 8-hour driving correctional class. One Saturday out of my life & $75 court costs- it wasn't too bad.

If you were going above 100, I would recommend getting a lawyer but under I don't think it is needed and that is a lot of money. Additionally, please be SURE to bring your driving record with you. In VA, it is on a point system (+5 I believe is the highest). Every year you drive without any charges you get +1. So I made sure to have a copy of my driving record so the court could see I am not a repeat offender.

You don't need others on here to tell you to slow down because you've already learned your lesson I would assume. After getting my reckless driving, I drive like a straight up granny with my hands placed firmly on 10 and 2 lol Good luck!

Old 07-30-2014, 01:00 PM

13,026 posts, read 19,853,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Hi OP. About 5 years ago, I received a reckless driving ticket (87 in a 65) in Orange County, VA. I did not have a lawyer and because it was my first (and hopefully last ) offense, I was mandated to one 8-hour driving correctional class. One Saturday out of my life & $75 court costs- it wasn't too bad.

If you were going above 100, I would recommend getting a lawyer but under I don't think it is needed and that is a lot of money. Additionally, please be SURE to bring your driving record with you. In VA, it is on a point system (+5 I believe is the highest). Every year you drive without any charges you get +1. So I made sure to have a copy of my driving record so the court could see I am not a repeat offender.

You don't need others on here to tell you to slow down because you've already learned your lesson I would assume. After getting my reckless driving, I drive like a straight up granny with my hands placed firmly on 10 and 2 lol Good luck!
The OP posted in 2008. He should have learned his lesson by now.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:44 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I visited the OP in prison yesterday. He's done 5 of his 30-year sentence for reckless driving. He has a new "I Can't Drive 55" tattoo on his face and has joined a gang that deals in contraband Hot Wheels. I gave him a toothbrush and a carton of cigarettes.
Forgot to mention: I also gave him an inflatable Khloe Kardashian doll. Evidently it's very, uh, popular in that environment. Or maybe it's Bruce Jenner; who can tell?

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 07-30-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 05:07 PM

128 posts, read 126,701 times
Does this still apply if the posted speed limit is 70? I always thought reckless driving was 25 over,...guess not in VA. If so, over half the people on I-81 (and 66 west of Gainesville) are driving recklessly.

Quote:
46.2-862 . A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:16 PM

13,026 posts, read 19,853,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post
Does this still apply if the posted speed limit is 70? I always thought reckless driving was 25 over,...guess not in VA. If so, over half the people on I-81 (and 66 west of Gainesville) are driving recklessly.
Yep! That's the law in Virginia.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:48 PM

835 posts, read 853,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The OP posted in 2008. He should have learned his lesson by now.
Oh whoops! Lol well maybe I've helped a future person w this problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia