Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:02 AM

157 posts, read 218,224 times

Advertisements

What is your monthly fee? What does the fee include? And what area do you live in?

I'm trying to better understand what I should expect to pay in certain areas, and what I should and shouldn't expect to be included with the varying fees.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,756 times
You mean like HOA/Condo fees?

I have a townhouse in Ashburn (Brambleton) and I pay $215 a month for the association fees, that includes Verizon Fios with that payment.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:46 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,485 times
I'm in a smaller subsection of a large HOA so I have 3 technically (roughly $115 a month), includes snow removal, common area maintenance, seasonal use pool that only my smaller area has access to (there's a second pool that the whole community uses, which gets super crowded), your standard tot lot/basketball/tennis, miles of walking trails, a lake with beach, golf course (membership add't).

Co-op are fairly rare in Northern Virginia (1 community in Arlington, River Place, and 1 in Burke are the only two I can think of the top of my head). Can be harder to sell, monthly fees can get up there.

HOA typically $50-250, amount may depend on community amenities or lack thereof. $50 a month might get you snow removal (but possibly no trash), common area maintenance, but unless it is a very large community, where this lower fee is more spread out, you might not get much else. Start to exceed $100 a month and you might get a tot lot, basketball court, seasonal use pool, golf course, walking trails, community center.

Condo fee's typically start out around $200 a month and then go up, all the way up and beyond $1,000 a month (the higher fee communities will tend to be high rise (elevator) like in Alexandria/Arlington. Typical condo fee includes exterior maintenance (roof/siding etc), master insurance policy, a lot of the same HOA community things like pool/tot lot/etc, association management, usually water/sewer, although some of the buildings w/ fees above $500 might include elec and gas also. Maybe gated entry, doorman.

If you're looking at condo communities, make sure to confirm the community qualifies for the type of financing you'll be using (unless paying cash). If you are using cash, I'd still recommend checking these financing approvals, as a lack of approval for any of the various loan options for a buyer could make it difficult for you to sell in the future (with the understanding that any approval of a community right now could go away next month/year etc).

Edit* also be sure to review the HOA financials that you'd receive once under contract, to make sure the community is 'healthy'.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:32 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
I live in a mid rise condo building in Chiang Mai. I have a 341 sf studio. My HOA fee is 30 US per month, includes trash, sewer system, 24/7 security, CCTV, exterior maintenance, and building insurance. Water is 3 USD per 1000 gallons. There are no property taxes, here.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:53 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,618 times
We had a townhouse (not a townhouse-style condo which most new builds actually are). It was built in late 1970s. Our $80 a month fee went to road maintenance, snow clearing, landscaping of communal areas, electrical cost of lighting the roads, and for a while a management company until it became a self-managed HOA. We took care of our own lawns and the exterior of the homes.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:45 PM

406 posts, read 619,613 times
$160/month for townhouse HOA in Fairfax area for pool, grounds, snow, trash, etc. This is fairly typical I would say, or maybe 1/4 to 1/3 lower if no pool.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:31 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Townhouse in Lake Ridge. $205 quarterly.

Twice weekly trash pickup.
Snow removal.
Access to 7 tennis courts, 5 pools, a few basketball courts, multipurpose fields, and several playgrounds.
Walking trails.
Pet waste bins stocked with bags.
Discounts at some local businesses.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:20 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,024 times
SFH in Bristow. Pool, trash, tennis/basketball courts, playgrounds, walking trails, internet and limited basic cable for $145/mo

Old 02-22-2018, 03:58 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Townhouse in Lake Ridge. $205 quarterly.

Twice weekly trash pickup.
Snow removal.
Access to 7 tennis courts, 5 pools, a few basketball courts, multipurpose fields, and several playgrounds.
Walking trails.
Pet waste bins stocked with bags.
Discounts at some local businesses.
Wow (no HOA here) - that's the cheapest I've heard anywhere in this area.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Wow (no HOA here) - that's the cheapest I've heard anywhere in this area.
That was a big consideration when we were house shopping because it does affect how much house one can afford. When we heard some of the HOA fees in Springfield, we were like

We have a lot of amenities and they are well maintained, so we're really pleased with our HOA. Which is lakeridgeva.com, if OP is interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia