Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:20 PM

339 posts, read 836,941 times

Advertisements

Are grads from these schools choosing other cities these days? I've noticed a decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 04:35 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Hard to tell. My son (JMU grad this May) will be coming back here for his job. He did get an offer in Richmond, which I personally feel he should have taken, but he wanted to come back to this area.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:04 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
Are grads from these schools choosing other cities these days? I've noticed a decline.
My household is full of transplants and I’m the sole one from Virginia and not of the three universities you mentioned. The other three are from FL, AL, and Non-DC area MD.

I think the high COL is making NoVA lose its luster for those with not super attractive degrees and who don’t have an in to the big companies like Northrop, Deloitte, etc. Myself, I’ll probably be out of here this time next year because there isn’t much holding me here that I can’t get in a cheaper COL aside from some personal issues that are drawing me to another particular area.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:06 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
Antidotely speaking, they're definitely still moving here. A lot of people I went to HS with who went to JMU, UVA, CNU, VCU and Tech have all moved back here - some have gone to Richmond but majority of them are in NoVa.

That said, this area is slowly approaching NYC level of craziness as far as housing is concerned, that's really going to hurt the growth of the area as far as attracting millennials and young people.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:11 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
My household is full of transplants and I’m the sole one from Virginia and not of the three universities you mentioned. The other three are from FL, AL, and Non-DC area MD.

I think the high COL is making NoVA lose its luster for those with not super attractive degrees and who don’t have an in to the big companies like Northrop, Deloitte, etc. Myself, I’ll probably be out of here this time next year because there isn’t much holding me here that I can’t get in a cheaper COL aside from some personal issues that are drawing me to another particular area.
I've been considering leaving as well.

The thing about this area is you get sucked into having a pretty nice salary - all the places I've looked at, even with a somewhat cheaper CoL, I'll be taking a significant pay cut but oh well.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:07 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
I would say the Dallas area is the top out of state location for JMU grads. San Diego is up there, but most leave after a few years.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:20 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

Daughter and her husband say about 3 to 4 years they are leaving.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:14 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
I work for a large consulting company that heavily recruits from those schools and it seems like the numbers coming in are still large but definitely down from a few years ago. In addition, there appears to be an uptick in people requesting transfers to offices in the Carolinas, Denver and Austin. I'm sure there are others but those seem to be the more popular locations. It really seems to mirror the more recent population trends for the area which have shown fairly strong growth but much slower than the boom years of 2008- 2012. During that time period, we were the only major metro area in the country with a growing economy and that was a huge factor in bringing people here. There are still lots of people coming into this area, but I think we are now starting to see larger numbers (at least compared to historical norms) of people take advantage of opportunities in areas with a lower COL- which these days happens to be just about anywhere else in the country outside of NYC, the SF Bay area, Southern California and maybe Boston. I've been here 13 years and while the cost of living has always been high, it seems to have really taken off over the last few years.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 02-27-2018 at 05:28 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 06:29 PM

339 posts, read 836,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I work for a large consulting company that heavily recruits from those schools and it seems like the numbers coming in are still large but definitely down from a few years ago. In addition, there appears to be an uptick in people requesting transfers to offices in the Carolinas, Denver and Austin. I'm sure there are others but those seem to be the more popular locations. It really seems to mirror the more recent population trends for the area which have shown fairly strong growth but much slower than the boom years of 2008- 2012. During that time period, we were the only major metro area in the country with a growing economy and that was a huge factor in bringing people here. There are still lots of people coming into this area, but I think we are now starting to see larger numbers (at least compared to historical norms) of people take advantage of opportunities in areas with a lower COL- which these days happens to be just about anywhere else in the country outside of NYC, the SF Bay area, Southern California and maybe Boston. I've been here 13 years and while the cost of living has always been high, it seems to have really taken off over the last few years.
2008-2012 were definitely the boom years.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:47 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I've been considering leaving as well.

The thing about this area is you get sucked into having a pretty nice salary - all the places I've looked at, even with a somewhat cheaper CoL, I'll be taking a significant pay cut but oh well.
After 25 years we are WAY too vested to leave at this point even though it is questionable whether salary keeps up with the COL. We considered moving to the Roanoke area about 15 years ago but the pay scales were (and still are) ridiculous. If we made the move today our HHi would drop at least ~90k, but probably quite a bit more since there is usually a limit to the amount of experience that would be credited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia