Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM

11 posts, read 32,155 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Does anyone have any facts from experience on how far the drive is from Centreville to Andrews AFB?

I leave for work between 5:00 and 5:30 AM and will leave work between 3:30 and 4:30 PM.

I know it is far and I should look closer; however, I am very interested in this highly rated, family friendly community. Thank you for any advice.

-Shaun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 05:37 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
I don't have any personal experience but I think you can probably find something just as nice that is closer in. I've been to Centreville many times, see no problems with it, but honestly, it's not so great that it warrants that kind of commute.

You will do pretty well in the morning. I think your afternoon commute is going to get dicey though--especially I-66.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,475 times
There's an individual in my unit on FT Belvoir who lives out that way. Our jobs have us in early and leaving early (3PM). He has stated that going home is fine as long as he's not held up at work. If he leaves Belvoir after 3:30, I-66 starts to become painful. Add on to the fact you're even further away out at Andrews, and you're looking at a very tough afternoon commute.

In the morning he leaves a little bit before 5am and says he doesn't have any issues.

Might make sense if you're close to retiring/leaving the military soon and this would be your post military home. Otherwise, I would search in the many other neighborhoods that are also positively rated.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:44 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carneyafqb5 View Post
I know it is far and I should look closer; however, I am very interested in this highly rated, family friendly community. Thank you for any advice.
Doesn't matter whether it's family friendly or not if you never get to see your family due to an extremely long commute...

Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 AM

11 posts, read 32,155 times
Thanks for the advice, but I am really not looking for a lecture on how far away it is. I just want to know the facts in terms of how long it will take to get from Andrews to Centreville after work, so that I can determine if it will be suitable for my family. Thank you.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,708 times
Well then I'd say you might be looking at at least 1.5 hours in the afternoons if you don't leave until 4:30.

There are plenty of nice(r) communities in the DC area - there's nothing particularly special about Centreville that makes it worth that commute.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 AM

159 posts, read 278,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carneyafqb5 View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have any facts from experience on how far the drive is from Centreville to Andrews AFB?

I leave for work between 5:00 and 5:30 AM and will leave work between 3:30 and 4:30 PM.

-Shaun
Hello Shaun,

My elderly mother still lives in the house I grew up in that is 5 miles from AAFB. I visit frequently from Fairfax Rt 50/Fair Oaks albeit not usually during regular commuting periods.

Your AM commute will be ok, assuming no early AM accidents on 66. You can make it in 35-45 mins. Your PM commute is a bit more problematic. The new Wilson Bridge is smooth and so is the new Mixing Bowl (95/495/395). Your issue is the 495 inner loop exit to 66 and 66W to the Centreville exits. The HOT lanes add an expensive convenience, the 495 exit to 66 is new and a bit smoother but the volume will nail you. Plan on 45min to 2 hrs. Sorry.

You need to consider alternates when the Inner Loop and 66 are jammed. There are many; they could save you a few mins.

As far as communities closer to AAFB? I will never own a home in PG County, the public schools are terrible. There reasons why I located to Centreville, VA (career, closer to then GF) in '97. There are reasons why I stayed in western Fairfax Co (family, career, top schools, good home values). The then GF turned into an ex-wife so my choices focused on public schools for my 3 kids, career and home value. There are lots of places in Ffx Co that provide what you seek.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,454 times
You don't need to touch 66 at all. You're not going much further past me as I work at Bolling AFB and live in Manassas but used to live in Centreville. You can take Braddock Road and it will get you where you need to go. I take it every day with minimal issues. Sure, there are lights but it still moves pretty well. I have left as late as 3:30pm and had no issues with Braddock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia