U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:21 PM

70 posts, read 77,057 times

Advertisements

So I continue to want to move out of a townhouse, and ideally improve my commute to Arlington.

I had focused on Reston, but found that paying $700k for a house there probably won't improve my commute all that much due to local traffic.

Plus with the complete lack of inventory, I've been kind of just aimlessly searching the listings map.

What I found was some decent looking places in Annandale, with good sized mature treed lots. I could take a bus to work in a fraction of the time I drive now or from Reston.

I know the area appears to be a bit "tired" looking compared to the shinier/gentrified neighboring areas, but 1/2 an acre with a pretty nice house at a price a "normal person" can afford is never anything to ignore in this area. Just like Reston, I'm seeing some listings where there have been nearly zero improvements since 1974 for the same price, but others some have been nicely updated without being flips. School pyramid (Woodson?) was well rated.

So is it some sort of trap for unsuspecting real estate buyers? Or is it just an area that gets a bad rap where your dollar can still go a bit further than Arlington or Falls Church (or certainly McLean)?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 08:30 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,142,582 times
Personally I think that most of Annandale inside the beltway is undervalued. The problem seems to be the school system. When I was looking I liked several houses in Annandale. Lot sizes and trees are an attraction to me.

I did buy a lot with trees but I caution you as I have already put a few thousand dollars into tree work.

Do you think that land inside the Beltway will go down in price or up in price?

I think traffic and toll roads everywhere will have an affect.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:30 AM

1,785 posts, read 3,336,659 times
'Annandale' might land you in either Woodson, Annandale or Falls Church High School pyramids.

Woodson will likely cost you much more than the other two.

WHS is all outside the beltway, AHS all inside, and FCHS is both.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:51 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,021,474 times
Is your work place at the Pentagon? If so you have some good express bus service that uses the HOV lanes on I395. If you are going to Crystal City you will need to change to the metro, and need to allow time for that. If you are going to Ballston, you are probably taking the 3A, a local bus, to EFC and getting the metro there.

In any case, you should check the route you will take, and the nearest bus stop (of the right line) to the house you are considering and then check out (by visiting, or at least using google street view) the walking condiitions, assuming you plan to walk to the bus (IIUC some people in Annandale drive to the bus - no official park and rides, but some informal ones) You may end up deciding to drive to Arlington instead (or biking, if you are adventurous)

Old 03-05-2018, 10:57 AM

277 posts, read 557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
'Annandale' might land you in either Woodson, Annandale or Falls Church High School pyramids.

Woodson will likely cost you much more than the other two.

WHS is all outside the beltway, AHS all inside, and FCHS is both.
My sister bought a townhouse in Annandale OTB years ago to rent out and it's zoned for Woodson and it's made the value of the house go up much higher then it would've otherwise. Even if you don't have kids it's always a consideration to check the schools. Of course the reality is a kid can get a good education at any of these schools if that kid is disciplined and focused but unfortunately perception still forms reality in a lot of real estate cases. On the flip side it does mean, however, that you can get a relatively good price on an older townhouse in other parts of Annandale close to DC and many NoVa employment centers like Tysons, Arlington, Old Town/Downtown Alexandria, etc.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:09 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,080,490 times
My sister is getting ready to list her house in the Canterbury Woods neighborhood in Annandale outside the beltway. Her family has lived there 30 years and has a lot of wonderful memories of the neighborhood and schools. Canterbury woods ES and Woodson HS are top rated. The neighborhood pool is fantastic and such wonderful neighbors, they will miss it tremendously. My sister and her husband never commuted to DC but lots of neighbors are military and with the State dpt.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:41 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,156,303 times
I like Annandale. I like the large lots and Woodson is very well-liked.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the responses. I do feel like your housing dollar is pretty safe anywhere inside or near the Beltway, unless your neighborhood really goes down hill. But like someone said, I think rising tolls and worsening traffic will likely just make anywhere closer in attractive.

Probably ought to buy one soon before the older houses all become "tear downs", redeveloped for rich people who want a 4500 square foot box.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
My sister is getting ready to list her house in the Canterbury Woods neighborhood in Annandale outside the beltway. Her family has lived there 30 years and has a lot of wonderful memories of the neighborhood and schools. Canterbury woods ES and Woodson HS are top rated. The neighborhood pool is fantastic and such wonderful neighbors, they will miss it tremendously. My sister and her husband never commuted to DC but lots of neighbors are military and with the State dpt.
Any idea what the neighborhood turnover is like? I imagine a lot of younger people can't swing some of these prices, so I wonder if it trends a bit older even when a new face moves in.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:40 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,142,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
Any idea what the neighborhood turnover is like? I imagine a lot of younger people can't swing some of these prices, so I wonder if it trends a bit older even when a new face moves in.
I am just outside of Annandale in Fairfax County and my neighborhood it trends a bit older BUT the couple that just bought the house next door are young and they have at least two couples their age that are friends that have purchased withing a mile. I think when the DC kids hookup and sell their Arlington and DC condos for a profit that the burbs, both Virginia and Maryland, become attractive for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia