U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:31 PM

6,576 posts, read 10,883,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I have. I think a lot of people pay it lip service which I do not find helpful to solve the overall problem. Contemplate that...
You just can't accept the fact that maybe you misread something or you were just being too sensitive can you? When you cannot convert one person over to your side then it's likely your original point of view may have been off a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 06:39 PM

947 posts, read 671,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You just can't accept the fact that maybe you misread something or you were just being too sensitive can you? When you cannot convert one person over to your side then it's likely your original point of view may have been off a little.
*Thinking*
Am I out of touch?
No! Its everyone else whos wrong!

Old 03-19-2018, 07:26 AM

4,852 posts, read 2,902,008 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
*Thinking*
Am I out of touch?
No! Its everyone else whos wrong!
This is what the Hollywood elite sounded like before #OscarsSoWhite. Preaching about how the rest of the world needs to be so mature and evolved as they are, slapping each other on the back but not actually considering they themselves have room for improvement.

But it is good to see that Northern VA has defeated racism. We can cross that off our lists of things to try to do better.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:17 AM

500 posts, read 329,494 times
Quote:
This is what the Hollywood elite sounded like before #OscarsSoWhite. Preaching about how the rest of the world needs to be so mature and evolved as they are, slapping each other on the back but not actually considering they themselves have room for improvement.

But it is good to see that Northern VA has defeated racism. We can cross that off our lists of things to try to do better.
I don't think that they are saying that NOVA is a land completely devoid of racism. I think they are just saying that in that particular instance you completely misunderstood what that poster meant by their statement and instead of admitting that you are making very vague, overarching statements about race/racism in general. No one is saying what you are saying is wrong, it just doesn't have anything to do with what that poster was talking about.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:43 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:

You really took this in a whole other direction haven't you?

Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 AM

4,852 posts, read 2,902,008 times
Quote:
You really took this in a whole other direction haven't you?
We have this guy at work that goes to Canada and talks about how great it is and how he would like to retire there. He tells us that it is great because everywhere he goes that there are white people everywhere. He talks about the road workers, the people at 7-11 and gas stations. I think that is racist and find him rather icky.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:58 AM

2,851 posts, read 1,445,754 times
Quote:
We have this guy at work that goes to Canada and talks about how great it is and how he would like to retire there. He tells us that it is great because everywhere he goes that there are white people everywhere. He talks about the road workers, the people at 7-11 and gas stations. I think that is racist and find him rather icky.
People have their preferences. But I wouldn't really consider that racist.

It's like a black person wanting to go to a HCBU for college. Doesn't really mean they're racist or anything. If your coworker was like "screw them darkies, I can't stand being near them", that's a different story.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
People have their preferences. But I wouldn't really consider that racist.

It's like a black person wanting to go to a HCBU for college. Doesn't really mean they're racist or anything. If your coworker was like "screw them darkies, I can't stand being near them", that's a different story.
I tend to agree with this but it of course depends on what exactly the person says. The area I moved to is heavily white population compared to where we moved from in Manassas but that's not why we moved. Views like these are why we moved.

Is NOVA racist?-old-truck.jpg

Old 04-05-2018, 07:29 AM

11 posts, read 7,601 times
Been living in NoVA for 25 years, went thru elementary to college and never faced blatant racism in my life. Thank the Lord for that! This does not mean we don't have racist folks in NoVA. There is a forum that proves this.

Oh, forgot to tell you what nationality I am. Kpop.

Last edited by Rudals; 04-05-2018 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or