U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:14 PM

6 posts, read 2,350 times

Advertisements

I don't find NOVA to be racist in general but it's nearly impossible to find any area where some form of racism doesn't exist. One neighbor uses the N word when telling jokes. The first time they did it we walked away, thinking they would get the hint. They didn't. The second time they did it we explained that we were not trying to make choices for them but OUR choice was not to be exposed to a word we found degrading. The continued to use it and we no longer associate when them on a social level. We still smile and wave but that is the extent of it. I think we have to stand up to things we don't find acceptable. We can't change others but we can choose the right path for ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 11:04 AM

29 posts, read 15,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness77 View Post
I don't find NOVA to be racist in general but it's nearly impossible to find any area where some form of racism doesn't exist. One neighbor uses the N word when telling jokes. The first time they did it we walked away, thinking they would get the hint. They didn't. The second time they did it we explained that we were not trying to make choices for them but OUR choice was not to be exposed to a word we found degrading. The continued to use it and we no longer associate when them on a social level. We still smile and wave but that is the extent of it. I think we have to stand up to things we don't find acceptable. We can't change others but we can choose the right path for ourselves.
I'm stunned to hear someone in this area in 2018 who would use that word.
OTOH I'm also stunned to hear profanity used rampantly in cafes, restaurants, on the Metro, etc. I was taught that profanity was what the ill-bred and uneducated used. How sad that we've dumbed incivility down.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:17 AM

334 posts, read 737,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
This does not mean we don't have racist folks in NoVA. There is a forum that proves this.
Yup. There are a lot of racists on the fairfax underground forum. It's shocking.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 2,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGuy64 View Post
I'm stunned to hear someone in this area in 2018 who would use that word.
OTOH I'm also stunned to hear profanity used rampantly in cafes, restaurants, on the Metro, etc. I was taught that profanity was what the ill-bred and uneducated used. How sad that we've dumbed incivility down.
I hear you. I was stunned. I was raised in a military family where my father fought alongside all races and we would have been punished for using that, and any other derogatory word. Kudos to my parents for raising us not to want to though.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:53 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,868,526 times
NOVA feels pretty accepting but I have a difficult time balancing that with the MASSIVE confederate flag that is right at the border of Stafford County. All of the black people that saw it have commented how uncomfortable/infuriating it is.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:07 AM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
NOVA feels pretty accepting but I have a difficult time balancing that with the MASSIVE confederate flag that is right at the border of Stafford County. All of the black people that saw it have commented how uncomfortable/infuriating it is.
As a black man, I drive by that flag a lot when I go back home to Hampton Roads. It is not a pressing issue but ideally that flag would not be displayed someday. It is just frankly not a good look for Virginia period, especially with what happened in Charlottesville. But otherwise it is a very clear marker between NoVA and RoVA.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:20 PM

6,582 posts, read 10,885,792 times
Quote:
Don't ever come out to Shenandoah County.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:53 PM

390 posts, read 455,523 times
Recently spoke with another minority last week about this post. They believe that racism still exists in this area.

My wife says that I'm overly optimistic and blind to blatant racism.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:23 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,868,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Don't ever come out to Shenandoah County.
Lol. They are not exactly where NOVA would want to model itself after for not being racist either.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:44 AM

6,582 posts, read 10,885,792 times
Quote:
Lol. They are not exactly where NOVA would want to model itself after for not being racist either.
Other than some Confederate flags on some homes and trucks I've seen no evidence of racism so I didn't mean it in that sense. I don't view the flags as racism but I know some do. I don't own one but don't begrudge those who do. Actually, from what I've seen the folks out here have been very accepting of pretty much anyone I've seen or met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or