U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 08:17 PM

7,958 posts, read 9,699,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
smells like a race baiting troll post to me
I would agree, except the OP doesn't have a posting history as a troll. I'm guessing it's a real question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 08:48 PM

24 posts, read 17,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
LOL

I've been in this area my entire life. Nova is one of the most least racist places to live. It's a super diverse area with races of all mixes. Nobody bats an eye at differences in skin color at all and you will find several people of backgrounds mixed up and you'll find many interracial relationships all throughout the area.

tl;dr, nova is not a racist place at all and a non-white person will easily feel at home.
I have octoroon cousins up there. Never heard a breath of racism from them...so I totally endorse your statement

Old 03-05-2018, 09:05 PM

226 posts, read 433,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
When I think of Virginia I think of the South. What's it like for a person of color living in northern Virginia? Could they feel at home or would they have to live in the inner city parts of Washington DC?
Personally, I would say NoVa is far more class conscious then strictly race conscious. People are more likely to judge you on where you work and/or went to college/grad school then your ethnicity, race or nationality. That said, it probably depends on what type of environment you're used to and what your sensitivities are. It's tremendously diverse in many ways but if you're from somewhere like New York, San Francisco or LA it may seem a little more Southern. I have known AAs who have told me they feel slightly more comfortable in Maryland, PG County or DC but I've also known many AAs who grew up in NoVa who have no problems here whatsoever. Basically, you'll probably be fine but like anywhere in the US that doesn't mean you are immune to an incident here and there. Do remember, though, that Virginia gets very southern the further you go outside the DC area.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:18 PM

561 posts, read 538,499 times
Wow, some of the comments on this thread are so provincial. Northern VA is just fine and you could probably be blue and no one would think twice. Virginia is a great state in the south Mid-Atlantic. Being in the south does not imply racism. If anything, the (metropolitan) south has a more developed understanding of its diversity than elsewhere in the nation. E.g., the history of the south forced it to confront its demons more head on than in the north, which is the reason so many of the cities ranked highly for black mobility are in the south today. Imho, black institutions are more developed in the south as well for similar reasons.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:23 PM

17,622 posts, read 8,837,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Fredericksburg is south, WVa is west (and southwest, technically).

There are definitely more Tea Party flags out those directions (assuming they are not all ex-Marines using the Gadsden flag). As for how many racists there are, is hard to say since not everyone shares the same definitions of racist.
So what has the "Tea Party" said, or done that is racist? I guess you just believe whatever the biased media wants you to believe.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:09 PM

6,582 posts, read 10,885,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
smells like a race baiting troll post to me
I was thinking the same thing. This kind of post serves no purpose whatsoever.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:43 AM

7,805 posts, read 2,272,799 times
it's a melting pot, it's about income not race.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:45 AM

8,793 posts, read 10,705,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So what has the "Tea Party" said, or done that is racist? I guess you just believe whatever the biased media wants you to believe.
That would take us off topic. It is up to the OP to decide what kinds of things make them uncomfortable, and presumably they know enough about the Tea Party to make their own judgement of whether that is one of them, I just wanted to let them know where the Tea Party is more present.

But you can trust that my opinion is based on what I have seen people say and do, not on what the media "tells us to believe".

Old 03-06-2018, 07:49 AM

8,793 posts, read 10,705,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
it's a melting pot, it's about income not race.

I think thats really going a bit too far. I have had discussions (about the Appomatox Statue in Alexandria) in real life, and online interactions, that indicate that quite a few NoVans hold opinions on racial issues that would likely make many AA's uncomfortable (though of course there are many whites who hold that those opinions are not racist). I think its more fair to say that its not really more about race in NoVa than in any other major US metropolitan area, or if it is, not very much. Of course to those who believe that racism really does not exist in the US at all, than racism certainly does not exist in NoVa. I presume, again, OP already has an opinion on that issue.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:24 AM

4,852 posts, read 2,903,405 times
There is racism everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or