U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 06:52 AM

3,499 posts, read 4,954,121 times

Advertisements

The population of "Southern Towers" complex in western Alexandria is now 40% Ethiopian.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:58 AM

3,499 posts, read 4,954,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I am shocked this thread hasnt been closed yet.
Every big city on earth is segregated — I hate to hurt peoples feelings but really you name the city and I can tell you where minorities live.
Toronto is extremely diverse, but tends to not be racially segregated at all. More economically segregated.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:01 AM

4,852 posts, read 2,902,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Just because, in your opinion, someone doesn't "transcend" race, does NOT make them racist.
If you act differently based on a persons race or have different feelings based on a persons race it is kind of racist. I personally get a little skin crawly when someone asks a person if they are racist and the person immediately, without self reflection, says no. Maybe people should think about it more and actually do some self reflection. Moving into a diverse, multicultural neighborhood, does not mean one is not racist.

As a matter of fact if you are basing your decision on where you live based on the race(s) of the people that live there it is kind of racist. You are focusing on race at least to some extent.

I do see the other side, we will never transcend race unless everyone lives together, has the same opportunities and gets along, but that is more for the children and not the people that are making race based decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I think you're reading something that isn't there and the poster was just being positive.
Understood but saying something like "Asians are good at math" is positive but is also racist. I know a fair number of Asians that say they are not good at math and really hate that stereotype.

I am not saying everyone is hateful racists, I am saying there is always time for some self reflection and to see how I can improve.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:13 AM

7,959 posts, read 9,695,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
If you act differently based on a persons race or have different feelings based on a persons race it is kind of racist. I personally get a little skin crawly when someone asks a person if they are racist and the person immediately, without self reflection, says no. Maybe people should think about it more and actually do some self reflection. Moving into a diverse, multicultural neighborhood, does not mean one is not racist.

As a matter of fact if you are basing your decision on where you live based on the race(s) of the people that live there it is kind of racist. You are focusing on race at least to some extent.

I do see the other side, we will never transcend race unless everyone lives together, has the same opportunities and gets along, but that is more for the children and not the people that are making race based decisions.

Understood but saying something like "Asians are good at math" is positive but is also racist. I know a fair number of Asians that say they are not good at math and really hate that stereotype.

I am not saying everyone is hateful racists, I am saying there is always time for some self reflection and to see how I can improve.
Read the definition of racism again. It involves seeing your own race as superior. Noticing and commenting on differences in other races, in and in itself, is NOT racist.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:15 PM

201 posts, read 202,941 times
Quote:

Why feel joy based on race? Why does it matter that a person of any color speaks and language? A person that transcends race will not make judgements based on their race and hopefully some day not even notice when meeting people.

You’re calling me a racist because I was joyful about diversity?

Old 03-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Read the definition of racism again. It involves seeing your own race as superior. Noticing and commenting on differences in other races, in and in itself, is NOT racist.
Besides skin are races different spencgr? Can you drop some examples on us please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
You’re calling me a racist because I was joyful about diversity?
You said: "My initial reaction when I first went to a Walmart and Target was pure joy due to the diversity. I have never seen such a melting pot. It is truly international. The black people I see are actually speaking some African language that I'm unfamiliar with?!"

Why does it matter to you what race people are? Were you happy that there were not many Caucasians around? Do you have racial quotas for happiness? Why does it matter what language "the black people" you see are speaking and why does it make you happy that you cannot understand them?

Old 03-11-2018, 04:12 PM

201 posts, read 202,941 times
Quote:

Why does it matter to you what race people are? Were you happy that there were not many Caucasians around? Do you have racial quotas for happiness? Why does it matter what language "the black people" you see are speaking and why does it make you happy that you cannot understand them?
Because... diversity?

Old 03-12-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
Because... diversity?
Why does that matter to you? Why do you care what race other people are?

Old 03-12-2018, 07:51 AM

8,789 posts, read 10,703,951 times
Quote:
Nothing hurt my feelings, nor did I say it did. This was the statement:

Why feel joy based on race? Why does it matter that a person of any color speaks and language? A person that transcends race will not make judgements based on their race and hopefully some day not even notice when meeting people.
I can just say that on the morning of November 9th, 2016, when I was feeling despondent, I saw my neighbors of different races (this is in Alexandria) and I felt better and safer. Can't really explain it, its just me.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I can just say that on the morning of November 9th, 2016, when I was feeling despondent, I saw my neighbors of different races (this is in Alexandria) and I felt better and safer. Can't really explain it, its just me.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. My concern is that I have grown up in the US and so I feel I should personally question myself as I feel the system I grew up in was on at least some level racist. When I watch older TV shows some of them can be real cringy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or