U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:40 AM

631 posts, read 522,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. My concern is that I have grown up in the US and so I feel I should personally question myself as I feel the system I grew up in was on at least some level racist. When I watch older TV shows some of them can be real cringy.
Think the older were bad, how about today's TV shows!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 11:06 AM

29,727 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Totally my experience too coming from houston. I go back there to visit, and Iím confronted with only white spaces which is something Iím not used to at all anymore (speaking as a white person).
Interesting since Houston is pretty darn diverse. But as with any place, it depends on exactly where you are in the area.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:45 AM

1,690 posts, read 1,348,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Interesting since Houston is pretty darn diverse. But as with any place, it depends on exactly where you are in the area.
Texas will always be Texas, to be honest.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:59 AM

494 posts, read 324,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Texas will always be Texas, to be honest.
Someone could say the same of NOVA and Virginia...

Old 03-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Is NOVA racist? Not any more(or less) racist than the rest of the country. Don't give any credence to statements like *NOVA isn't racists but south of Fredericksburg and west of Charlottesville it gets a little more racist.* It just doesn't work that way. There are ignorant people anywhere you look for them, NOVA included. It doesn't get any more "racist" in Virginia the further you get from NOVA and honestly, most of the racial things that make the news in VA tend to come out of NOVA.

Last edited by mpier015; 03-12-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Someone could say the same of NOVA and Virginia...
Not really. Northern Virginia doesn't have a reputation of bigotry and racism.

I can't speak for VA as a whole but NoVa is actually known for its embracing of diversity, tolerance and inclusion.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:25 PM

29,727 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:

I can't speak for VA as a whole but NoVa is actually known for its embracing of diversity, tolerance and inclusion.
That has nothing to do with certain parts of any city/area consisting predominantly of individuals of one race, including both NoVA and Houston.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Houston is known as diverse. When someone mentioned that, your reply was Texas will always be Texas.

NOVA is known as diverse. Someone who is not fond of VA(and its history) could easily say that Virginia will always be Virginia, regardless of NOVA's diversity.

You can't take Houston out of Texas. You can't take NOVA out of Virginia.

Also, if you think that NOVA doesn't have a certain reputation amongst some groups in both DC and Maryland then you are mistaken.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:55 PM

Speaking of Texas, TX is in the news today Police: Deadly package explosions in Austin may be a hate crime | TheHill - but point taken that Texas is a welcoming and tolerant place.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:11 PM

6,557 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Houston is known as diverse. When someone mentioned that, your reply was Texas will always be Texas.

NOVA is known as diverse. Someone who is not fond of VA(and its history) could easily say that Virginia will always be Virginia, regardless of NOVA's diversity.

You can't take Houston out of Texas. You can't take NOVA out of Virginia.

Also, if you think that NOVA doesn't have a certain reputation amongst some groups in both DC and Maryland then you are mistaken.

And what reputation would that be? I've been here since 73 and while you hear of the occasional case of overt racism it really is a rarity. And I also know that a percentage of those so-called claims of racism were embellished or just flat out lies. No one deserves to be a victim of racism but no one deserves to be a victim either of a false claim of racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or