Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 12:57 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,843 times

Advertisements

When I think of Virginia I think of the South. What's it like for a person of color living in northern Virginia? Could they feel at home or would they have to live in the inner city parts of Washington DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 01:19 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
The City of Alexandria is about 20% african american (a community with a history going back to colonial times). We have had one AA mayor, and currently have two AA council members (out of 6). The Council has voted to rename "Jeff Davis Highway" and a new name is under study. The Council wants to move the Confederate monument ("The Appomattox Statue") from its place at the intersection of Washington and Prince Street, to a museum, but is currently unable to do so due to Virginia law. The City has several activist AA churches - the one I am most familiar with is Alfred Street Baptist.

Most other NoVa jurisdictions have fewer AAs (though Prince William has more, I think) I know Arlington has one AA County Council member, and Fairfax has an AA member of the Board of Supervisors. In general while there are more white NoVans with southern roots than you would find in Maryland or DC, or in a northern city, most whites here do not have southern roots, I think (perhaps more in Alexandria than in Fairfax). There is of course racism here (a problem in the USA), but many African Americans live here and seem to find it no more uncomfortable than most other parts of the USA. For someone looking for a stronger AA community, with more cultural resources and services, DC or Maryland are often mentioned as good choices.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:26 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
LOL

I've been in this area my entire life. Nova is one of the most least racist places to live. It's a super diverse area with races of all mixes. Nobody bats an eye at differences in skin color at all and you will find several people of backgrounds mixed up and you'll find many interracial relationships all throughout the area.

tl;dr, nova is not a racist place at all and a non-white person will easily feel at home.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:30 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,811 times
Are there racist people in NoVa? Sure, but I’d say they are a tiny tiny minority. The farther you get out of NoVa towards West Virginia out past Fredericksburg, it gets more red neck.

My child is in ballet at a rec center. They are the only white kid in the class. It’s not uncommon that white people are a minority when eating out. There are huge Asian, South Asian, Middle Eastern, and Hispanic populations. Black people seem to vary more depending on location. More in Arlington. Less in Vienna. It just depends.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:44 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Are there racist people in NoVa? Sure, but I’d say they are a tiny tiny minority. The farther you get out of NoVa towards West Virginia out past Fredericksburg, it gets more red neck.

My child is in ballet at a rec center. They are the only white kid in the class. It’s not uncommon that white people are a minority when eating out. There are huge Asian, South Asian, Middle Eastern, and Hispanic populations. Black people seem to vary more depending on location. More in Arlington. Less in Vienna. It just depends.
Fredericksburg is south, WVa is west (and southwest, technically).

There are definitely more Tea Party flags out those directions (assuming they are not all ex-Marines using the Gadsden flag). As for how many racists there are, is hard to say since not everyone shares the same definitions of racist.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:15 PM

300 posts, read 238,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
When I think of Virginia I think of the South. What's it like for a person of color living in northern Virginia? Could they feel at home or would they have to live in the inner city parts of Washington DC?

The more you go North or Central West, like Charlotesville, you will encounter racism in many towns. Charlotesville has the KKK.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:27 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
The more you go North or Central West, like Charlotesville, you will encounter racism in many towns. Charlotesville has the KKK.
Have you been to these towns and experienced it first hand or are you just reading that off the news? I've been to Charlottesville plenty of times and I've not experienced any kind of racism...nor seen any KKK.

Much of southern VA is more redneck and country, but redneck =/= racist.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:41 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Fredericksburg is south, WVa is west (and southwest, technically).

There are definitely more Tea Party flags out those directions (assuming they are not all ex-Marines using the Gadsden flag). As for how many racists there are, is hard to say since not everyone shares the same definitions of racist.
Yes. I’m aware. I just forgot the “or” before out.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:40 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I’m black, live in mostly white North Arlington, and I feel at home. Won’t be my home too much longer but it’s been good to me.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:15 PM

322 posts, read 275,834 times
smells like a race baiting troll post to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia