U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 09:17 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,345,049 times

Advertisements

This entire thread is making me nastolgic. I remember going to Toys R Us often as a kid, unfortunately it started to go downhill at some point.

They should've been more innovative and like a lot of businesses that find themselves becoming stagnant due to technology, etc find newer services to offer their customers that still in someway revolves around their original niche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 10:02 AM

390 posts, read 452,639 times
I miss these commercials.

https://youtu.be/VJJ-ZLdrTwY

Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 PM

301 posts, read 585,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post

We have a Toy R US store blocks away from our neighborhood in Kingstowne.

I wonder if the store closing will have an effect on kids.

This is the last place to window shop for children.

Here's a brief article on LinkedIn about the store closings:

Another one on CNN with old Toy R US commercials:

http://askaw.us/2FLTXsq

Last article on Fox website:

http://askaw.us/2FKdFVr

I also wonder if this will affect the local commercial real estate market. A quick Google search shows 7 Toy R US locations in the Northern Virginia area.

Google Map with Toys R US locations
No.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:44 AM

8,771 posts, read 10,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I was born in the 60s and the Toys R Us stores were HUGE and loaded with every toy known to man. Since we didn't have the internet, that's the only way you could know what was out there--by browsing. I loved it. I think in the 90s, the store shrunk in half and added baby items and clothing. That was a sad move.

It's still hard to believe that even a child in today's world would not love to browse in a huge toy emporium. Some things are still hands on. Plus, if you're 6 years old, how do you really know what's out there in the toy world?
Really, the 60s? I grew up in the 60s and I don't think I had even heard of Toys R Us. Maybe this is being a few years older, or being brought up in Brooklyn, where chains national chains were scarce, and big box ones almost unknown.

Frankly, as far as I can tell Toys R Us put lots and lots of independent toy stores (which in those days were not hipster things, just found in every ordinary neighborhood) out of business. While I am sure they have lost business to both Amazon and Walmart/Target, I hope that the revival of small independent toy stores continues.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 AM

529 posts, read 541,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
It's sad but kids are becoming more and more tech savvy every day so my guess is they know how to look up all toys made known to mankind. More and more parents are using cell phones, tablets and so on as babysitters or a means to keep their kids quiet today. I doubt there will be any issues with Toys R Us closing.
This is true to some extent.

These days there are YouTube videos made by kids reviewing various toys, play with them etc.
Lot of kids watch these videos and ask parents to get the same one.

After becoming Amazon Prime member 7-8 years ago, I started buying toys from there as I get 2 day free shipping and also their price is very competitive, no need to go to local Toys R Us store, look for deals etc.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:34 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,459 times
Like LuvVA said, there are kids on YouTube making $$$ in ad revenue by reviewing toys. That's how my kids find out about new stuff. They don't watch much TV so they don't see traditional commercials.

We are fortunate to have a good locally-owned toy store in walking distance (Go Bananas). Target and Walmart also have good selections, but we do buy a lot of things from Amazon or eBay.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 1,853 times
No. Do that many kids still actually go to toy stores these days? My kids are 5 and 7 and have been in a Toys R Us about four times in their life and that was when they had gift cards to spend. TRU was overpriced and overwhelming. With toy aisles at every Walmart and Target these days plus Amazon, TRU just doesn't have a niche anymore.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:22 AM

718 posts, read 723,488 times
Kids still play with toys?

I agree with all the other comments about kids going tech. .... Toys R Us should have done a better job incorporating electronics into their stores and stayed competitive with pricing. They may have stayed afloat. It is too bad, I like ToysRus, Many great memories....Sad to see them go.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:14 AM

1,573 posts, read 392,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Frankly, as far as I can tell Toys R Us put lots and lots of independent toy stores (which in those days were not hipster things, just found in every ordinary neighborhood) out of business. While I am sure they have lost business to both Amazon and Walmart/Target, I hope that the revival of small independent toy stores continues.
Interesting to see then we might gone full circle to a return to small independent toy stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or