U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:16 PM

390 posts, read 451,415 times

Advertisements

We have a Toy R US store blocks away from our neighborhood in Kingstowne.

I wonder if the store closing will have an effect on kids.

This is the last place to window shop for children.

Here's a brief article on LinkedIn about the store closings:

Another one on CNN with old Toy R US commercials:

http://askaw.us/2FLTXsq

Last article on Fox website:

http://askaw.us/2FKdFVr

I also wonder if this will affect the local commercial real estate market. A quick Google search shows 7 Toy R US locations in the Northern Virginia area.

Google Map with Toys R US locations

Attached Thumbnails
Do you think Toy R US closing it's store have a negative affect on children?-mar152018-awasus-2.03.08-pm.jpg   Do you think Toy R US closing it's store have a negative affect on children?-mar152018-awasus-2.13.11-pm.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 12:23 PM

6,550 posts, read 10,823,615 times
It's sad but kids are becoming more and more tech savvy every day so my guess is they know how to look up all toys made known to mankind. More and more parents are using cell phones, tablets and so on as babysitters or a means to keep their kids quiet today. I doubt there will be any issues with Toys R Us closing.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,446 posts, read 53,930,976 times
Probably some places where the only real source of toys for browsing was Toys R Us, but then browsing doesn't pay the rent (and staff). Many places have alternatives, Target being one, but there are still non-chain toy stores around, about 30 or so in the Seattle area. Just a few local examples:

Welcome to Magic Mouse Toys, a fun store providing great toys and games in Seattle, WA.

https://www.redwagonmadisonpark.com/

Wee Tots Children's Store

Old 03-15-2018, 12:39 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,418,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
It's sad but kids are becoming more and more tech savvy every day so my guess is they know how to look up all toys made known to mankind. More and more parents are using cell phones, tablets and so on as babysitters or a means to keep their kids quiet today. I doubt there will be any issues with Toys R Us closing.
I was about to post this.

With this generation of kids, they're more focused on games on their iPad and iPhone than they are about playing with physical toys anymore. My little nephews get a new toy or gadget and within a week, it's collecting dust because they're fighting to see which one gets to play the iPad first.

So no, I don't think so. I think for people in our generation (I was born in the 80's) Toys R Us was a big deal. But the kids in this generation, they probably don't care between a Toys R Us or the toy section in a WalMart.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:59 PM

10,592 posts, read 12,064,067 times
I was born in the 60s and the Toys R Us stores were HUGE and loaded with every toy known to man. Since we didn't have the internet, that's the only way you could know what was out there--by browsing. I loved it. I think in the 90s, the store shrunk in half and added baby items and clothing. That was a sad move.

It's still hard to believe that even a child in today's world would not love to browse in a huge toy emporium. Some things are still hands on. Plus, if you're 6 years old, how do you really know what's out there in the toy world?

Old 03-15-2018, 04:05 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,862,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Since we didn't have the internet, that's the only way you could know what was out there--by browsing. I loved it.
I think the commercials helped a lot.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I think the commercials helped a lot.
I don't even remember any commercials...I guess I wasn't watching a lot of TV then.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:14 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,117,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't even remember any commercials...I guess I wasn't watching a lot of TV then.
clearly if you didnt want to grow up, you weren't a toys r us kid..

Old 03-16-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
clearly if you didnt want to grow up, you weren't a toys r us kid..
Ah yes, they may have been aired after my toy heyday.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:49 AM

33,824 posts, read 41,802,143 times
My 35 and 33 year olds are devastated by the news. They also were upset when Discovery Zone closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or