Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 10:11 AM

406 posts, read 625,263 times

Advertisements

The National Park services predicted Cherry Blossoms to have their peak boom last weekend.

But,

The weather had other plans.

Do you think this week's snow and freezing rain will kill our chances of a boom?

Are you planning on heading to DC to catch the blossoms?

Attached Thumbnails
Will the snow affect Cherry Blossoms boom?-cherry-blossom_1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 12:55 PM

870 posts, read 2,109,812 times
That was an old forecast. The NWS announced that because of the cold start to March, the peak season was delayed until next week (March 27-31). Only this past weekend did the buds reach stage 2 of 6 stages. The Washington Post also reported that since the buds are still at such an early stage, this snowstorm should not cause significant damage.

We'll see about going into the city for them. If the weather is warm enough, perhaps we will.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
That was an old forecast. The NWS announced that because of the cold start to March, the peak season was delayed until next week (March 27-31). Only this past weekend did the buds reach stage 2 of 6 stages. The Washington Post also reported that since the buds are still at such an early stage, this snowstorm should not cause significant damage.

We'll see about going into the city for them. If the weather is warm enough, perhaps we will.
Do you have a link to the Washington Post article? I'm watching this closely this year because I want to capture some new pictures of the scenery.

Thanks for the update.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:39 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I saw a report on TV stating they will be pretty through the middle of April. I want to see the blooms one year since seeing pictures my daughter took a few years ago. We dread having to deal with Washington traffic.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:24 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I saw a report on TV stating they will be pretty through the middle of April. I want to see the blooms one year since seeing pictures my daughter took a few years ago. We dread having to deal with Washington traffic.
You can do what the wife and I did. She wanted to go a few years ago and I hate driving in for stuff like this. I told her if we could get there at first light I'd be willing to go. We got there at sunrise, easily parked, got some pics, saw some kites at the festival and we were out of there by 10am. So easy.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You can do what the wife and I did. She wanted to go a few years ago and I hate driving in for stuff like this. I told her if we could get there at first light I'd be willing to go. We got there at sunrise, easily parked, got some pics, saw some kites at the festival and we were out of there by 10am. So easy.
^^^^^^ this is what we do. I don't like traffic and crowds. I like to get in and get out without much hassle.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:22 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,618 times
Meadowlark Park in Vienna is a great option of cherry blossoms and great shots. I think entry is $4 a person and parking is a snap.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:59 AM

The article I referred to is https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ce8_story.html

However, in today's Express, it states that now the Washington Post believes peak may be even later, March 30-April 3.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:33 AM

And last week's snow has pushed back the estimate even further, to April 8-12.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/cherryb...loom-watch.htm

Apparently the trees just hit stage 3 out of 6 a few days ago.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:05 AM

I'll be sure to make a trip to DC to take my photos.

What are other areas around the DMV area good places to take photos of the Cherry Blossoms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia