Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 11:47 PM

8 posts, read 11,549 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We are relocating from Washington state and are quite overwhelmed with this city situation. My husband will be working in Arlington, VA and we are deciding on place to live. We've been going around in circles for past 2 months and have considered places as far south as fort hunt, va and as far north as Rockville,md. Exceptional situation, here goes:
-commute time is priority. Husband's hours will be arriving at 6am for work, done with work around 3pm. 2 small kids and family time is a priority for us.
- child with medical needs to be seen monthly at Walter Reed, betheseda.
-schools, our son will also need Braille services and an overall good school district.
- we prefer a back yard or safe front yard and low traffic area for our boys to play.
-rent $2,400 is our goal for a rental property.
Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 04:53 AM

84 posts, read 77,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly McHey View Post
Hi all,
We are relocating from Washington state and are quite overwhelmed with this city situation. My husband will be working in Arlington, VA and we are deciding on place to live. We've been going around in circles for past 2 months and have considered places as far south as fort hunt, va and as far north as Rockville,md. Exceptional situation, here goes:
-commute time is priority. Husband's hours will be arriving at 6am for work, done with work around 3pm. 2 small kids and family time is a priority for us.
- child with medical needs to be seen monthly at Walter Reed, betheseda.
-schools, our son will also need Braille services and an overall good school district.
- we prefer a back yard or safe front yard and low traffic area for our boys to play.
-rent $2,400 is our goal for a rental property.
Thank you all!
Cant speak to all of that other than 6am to arlington can be a problem from Rockville/Bethesda on some days. You are probably looking at 35-60 minutes via GW pkwy barring an accident (Its two lane). If a car is broken down or there is an accident, you are going to sit.

The afternoon commute is the same, but less likely to be trouble some around 2-3 pm. After 3-3:30, its a problem.

Im not sure where fort hunt is but if you are commuting to Arlington, try to stay in Va as much as possible

Old 02-12-2018, 06:55 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Arlington and Bethesda are both big places and specific locations at either end could swing a commuting time upwards of 30 minutes. Can you be more specific?

Old 02-12-2018, 07:47 AM

Arlington national cemetery is work location. And we've recently been considering Rockville near Croydon Park. Thank you

Old 02-12-2018, 07:51 AM

Also, he has to be to work by 6am, so he would be leaving around 5am.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:12 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I used to do a Gaithersburg to Arlington commute (Courthouse and Ballston). At 6 am it is easy as pie. I don't know why others think it isn't. It's after 630 am (more like 7 am) when things start to get heavy. It is the afternoon commute that is rough. My rule was to get across the American Legion bridge before 3 pm, or it would get bad. It seems to get bad a little earlier now. My usual route was 270 to GW Parkway to route 50. I would sometimes use Clara Barton parkway to Canal road to the Whitehurst to I 66. It was a good route. If you're going to a different part of Arlington then there might be other options.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:23 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Also, he has to be to work by 6am, so he would be leaving around 5am.
That would be an okay commute. I work a 6AM-2:30 day and my commute is pretty easy no matter where I go.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:24 AM

Any significant differences (commute related ) or lifestyle (schools, safety related) in the various towns, and which would be best : Potomac, Rockville, Betheseda. Any areas to completely avoid due to safety ?

Old 02-12-2018, 09:35 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Any significant differences (commute related ) or lifestyle (schools, safety related) in the various towns, and which would be best : Potomac, Rockville, Betheseda. Any areas to completely avoid due to safety ?
You should ask that question in the MD suburbs forum.

Commute at those hours should be fine. The cemetary is right off the GW parkway.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:40 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
Your husband will be commuting every day. Structure your housing search around the commute. Even if you live more than an hour from Walter Reed, you only need to make that trip once a month. There are more similarities than differences between the close-in suburbs of Maryland and Virginia. Living close to your husband's job will make your lives much less stressful. Your bigger challenge may be finding a house with a yard in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia