U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 01:08 PM

6 posts, read 6,781 times

Advertisements

I'm considering buying a condo in Jackson's Ridge in Manassas. The development itself looks OK but it's right next to Coverstone IV, which is 100% low income housing with a police substation in it and it has a pretty bad reputation. Would you rule out buying a home in Jackson's Ridge due to proximity to Coverstone? Or are there any other things that I should know before deciding to put in an offer? I need to make a decision today so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 04:43 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
Keep in mind it's been a few years since I retired from the PWCPD but back then I would have said no. While the complex itself did not share the same issues as Cov IV it still had some bleed over enough to make me warn people away. Which court is it you're looking at in the complex?

Old 04-07-2018, 05:22 PM

Stagestone. Thank you!

Old 04-07-2018, 06:21 PM

Also, what's the main crime to be concerned about in the area? From reputation it seems to be drugs and gangs - is that correct? If I moved there, I would avoid walking outside Jackson's Ridge and avoid Barron Park, but if I stayed within Jackson's Ridge it felt like it was probably OK.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:52 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,123,686 times
just my opinion, but if you're having to convince yourself as to whether its safe or not enough for you, by mentioning not walking outside of the neighborhood ever etc... I'd look elsewhere. Take that $280 a month condo fee you would have been paying and spend a bit more for a townhome that's not condo ownership (and typically a much lower monthly HOA fee) in a different (better depending on your opinion) neighborhood

Last edited by kww; 04-07-2018 at 10:17 PM..

Old 04-07-2018, 09:56 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,123,686 times
Also, won't help you for tomorrow if you plan on writing an offer.. but if you don't pursue this home, in the future, call 703-792-7270 M-F (PWC Police Crime Prevention) and ask the person that answers (was Cathy last time I called) to give you a run down of the recent calls for service on the street you're interested in buying (along with surrounding streets).. they can't give you the exact house number where the calls were referencing, but they'll give you the generic street info..

Old 04-08-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermistress View Post
Stagestone. Thank you!
Again, it's been a few years and I don't follow what's happening there now. But Coverstone 4 was a PITA for my 30 years there. Was at its worse in the late 80's into the early 90's during the Crack epidemic but even when this slowed down it was still a place I wouldn't wish on anyone. When Jackson's Ridge was built we saw bleed over from C-4 and we had calls for service there but it was still lower than C-4. It certainly wasn't a high crime area but its location was just always a concern. Many of the folks in C-4 are there under bad conditions but it doesn't make them bad people. It's a small number that cause the problems but that small number is still more than what you'd find in many other communities.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the advice! What about Paradise (Seymour Rd, Winfield Loop, Kessler Pl, Blue Gray Cir, etc.) - are those far enough away from Coverstone or are they otherwise OK?

Could you also please tell me if there are any crime concerns about Stonington (Rapidan Ln, Emerald Dr, Dylan Pl) and Jamaica Ln, Barbados Ln?

Old 04-08-2018, 02:37 PM

All of these were certainly in more desirable areas when I retired from the PD. That said, there is no such thing as a perfect or crime free area no matter how nice they are. Even gated communities see crimes occur but typically at a lower percentage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia