U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 704 times

Advertisements

I am potentially beginning a new job in Chantilly, VA. I currently live in Gaithersburg, MD right off 270 at Exit 11. Any tips for the commute. I'm hoping for a flex schedule once I am established at the company (after approx 90 days) but until then it looks like a daily commute

Also, if I were looking to relocate closer to the VA side, any recommendations on where to live? I'm a single female and currently own a 2BR/2BA condo and would like to keep size relatively the same but I know it does get more expensive further south and closer to the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 10:20 PM

1,430 posts, read 3,482,145 times
I personally would never commute from Gaithersburg to Chantilly but I also know after living in this area for ten plus years that moving every time you get a new job is not always an option. At one point I had to 'reverse' commute from my home in North Arlington to Gaithersburg (370/Sim Eig) and what I noticed was this: 270 was always a parking lot from Gburg down to the 270/495 lane divide and then all the way across the Legion Bridge into Tysons. From Tysons you are still another 15 miles on a crowded and unpredictable I-66 to Chantilly. A flex schedule will only go so far as traffic between Tysons and the Legion Bridge always seemed to start getting bad from 2 or 3 pm onward. I can't speak for the Maryland back roads in the morning but in the evenings heading back towards Virginia I would take Piney Meetinghouse to River to Falls to McArthur to Clara Bartob to Legion Bridge because of bad traffic. It helped me avoid most of the back-ups from Democracy to Legion Bridge but I rarely felt like I saved time- they just gave the impression I was moving. Do you work conventional hours? I can't imagine that trip can be done in less than 2 hours under normal circumstances.

If you were to relocate to the VA side (which I would recommend if commuting to Chantilly) look into the Dunn Loring/ Merrifield or Fair Lakes/ Fair Oaks areas of Fairfax County.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:25 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,846,462 times
If it were me I'd certainly move to VA but I'd look even closer to places such as Reston. You're near everything you'd need and close to work. I don't know your budget but I can't see Reston being much different in housing costs than Gaithersburg.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:51 AM

13,028 posts, read 19,859,929 times
Instead of repeating myself, I will just post the link to my answer in the other thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/51611394-post3.html

Old 04-19-2018, 04:16 PM

222 posts, read 430,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfwindows View Post
I am potentially beginning a new job in Chantilly, VA. I currently live in Gaithersburg, MD right off 270 at Exit 11. Any tips for the commute. I'm hoping for a flex schedule once I am established at the company (after approx 90 days) but until then it looks like a daily commute

Also, if I were looking to relocate closer to the VA side, any recommendations on where to live? I'm a single female and currently own a 2BR/2BA condo and would like to keep size relatively the same but I know it does get more expensive further south and closer to the city
One word: Move!

The commute you describe is somewhere between Dante's 7th Circle (violence) and 9th Circle (treachery) of Hell. Seriously, I'd consider renting an apartment or even a basement somewhere near work in Virginia for during the week for a few months if you can manage it. Gaithersburg to Chantilly and back for even a few months will leave you an old, old woman at the end. Depending on where you are in Gaithersburg you might try White's Ferry to cross the Potomac and head down Route 7 from Leesburg to Route 28 but I'm sure that's an awful mess too.

In terms of condos once you relocate, I personally like the Fair Lakes area as it's quite convenient and accessible to a lot of places around Northern Virginia and DC. It's likely comparable to where you are in Gaithersburg though it might be a little less bang for your buck. Centreville near I-66 and 28 also has a number of newer condo and apartment developments as well. Chantilly has some of off Route 50 but I don't have any recent experience there. Many years ago I had a friend who rented in that area with her fiancé and they seemed to like it well enough but they also moved at their first opportunity too. City of Fairfax has some good deals on older but spacious condos as well so that area might be worth checking out.

Good luck and if worse comes to worse, audio books from the library can help at least a little.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:16 PM

35 posts, read 39,146 times
Default Fair Lakes

Hi,

I'm not sure is you're looking to buy or rent, but there are some apartments around Fair Lakes (around Whole Foods) that are about that size and within walking distance to shopping, dining, etc. There are also some places in Chantilly as well that are in nice areas.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:54 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,645,690 times
That commute is going to really suck, especially going home after work. I went the opposite way, Tysons to Gaithersburg. Traffic was bad for me but even worse on your side, especially in the evening. If the job is worth it make the best of it but I doubt you'll be able to keep that up long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia