U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,086,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Personallly, I think it's those of us who are at the other end who have to worry about their child being the youngest in their class. My son has a late July birthday and I pretty sure we will send him on time, and he'll probably be one of the youngest in his class. I've heard from many of my friends that their kids with July or August birthdays are the youngest or second youngest in their classes.

This is true. My DD had a July 29th birthday. I never even thought about it at the time. Not only was she one of the later birthdays, there were so many kids that were "held back" that she seemed SOOOO much younger and more immature. This didn't go away and even in high school, she seemed very much younger than the majority of her peers--because she was. Knowing what I know now, since there is so much "holding back", I probably should have held her back so she wouldn't have been so much younger than everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 06:16 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
The general practice around here seems to be to hold back boys but not girls, apparently due to a difference in maturity levels or perhaps to avoid the stigma of being the smallest in the class.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,215 times
I am getting ticked that the de facto start age for K is getting pushed to 6 because so many people are holding back these days.

Obviously, there are valid reasons, but there is a herd mentality here that is irksome.

FWIW, I started 1st grade at 5 (skipped K). I was almost 2 years younger than some of my classmates and it didn't bother me in the least. Still graduated HS in the top 10 students out of 360 and graduated a top university with honors.

I'm a little worried for my little girl (emphasis on the little) who is going to be in a class with kids who are 6 going on 7. Luckily, she has my personality and can hold her own and likely won't notice. But the size difference will be ridiculous.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I am getting ticked that the de facto start age for K is getting pushed to 6 because so many people are holding back these days.

Obviously, there are valid reasons, but there is a herd mentality here that is irksome.
I have boy-girl twins with an early August birthday. When it's time for us to deal with this, we'll see where they are mentally and emotionally, but I'm not going to hold them back just because they might be the youngest. Someone has to be the youngest.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:02 AM

161 posts, read 329,673 times
My little boy turned 5 in July and promptly started K last that Fall. I did notice that some of the children in his class were taller and quite a bit more mature. He did fine. I think it really depends on the child and where he is in his development.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:

FWIW, I started 1st grade at 5 (skipped K). I was almost 2 years younger than some of my classmates and it didn't bother me in the least. Still graduated HS in the top 10 students out of 360 and graduated a top university with honors.

I'm a little worried for my little girl (emphasis on the little) who is going to be in a class with kids who are 6 going on 7. Luckily, she has my personality and can hold her own and likely won't notice. But the size difference will be ridiculous.
I had a December birthday in Maryland and went to K when I was 4. I also held my own but there was always a "maturity" aspect that I find hard to describe here on a message board.

My DD entered at 5 but was the youngest in her class and, as I said earlier, some of the kids in her K class should have been in 1st grade and even some of them would have been on the "older" side for first grade. I wasn't worried at the time because academically she was fine. Even maturity-wise I didn't notice much in grades K-3. In the 4th grade, it started to become more noticeable and was much more so in grades 5-7. Must have had something to do with puberty because those older kids suddenly got a LOT older.

It's important for kids to not only feel academically prepared but when 3/4ths of the classmates surrounding you are physically and "brainwise" more developed in can cause some issues. We didn't have any major issues come up but the age discrepancy was very noticeable at some points in her school and, at times, it was noticeable to her that she "felt" younger than these kids. In fact, some of her best friends that she clicked with in high school happened to be a year behind her school. Go figure.

Now my son has a December birthday and so he only has a few kids older than him. We've never really noticed any maturity discrepancies through his schooling experience (he is a sophomore now).

Old 09-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I had a December birthday in Maryland and went to K when I was 4. I also held my own but there was always a "maturity" aspect that I find hard to describe here on a message board.

My DD entered at 5 but was the youngest in her class and, as I said earlier, some of the kids in her K class should have been in 1st grade and even some of them would have been on the "older" side for first grade. I wasn't worried at the time because academically she was fine. Even maturity-wise I didn't notice much in grades K-3. In the 4th grade, it started to become more noticeable and was much more so in grades 5-7. Must have had something to do with puberty because those older kids suddenly got a LOT older.

It's important for kids to not only feel academically prepared but when 3/4ths of the classmates surrounding you are physically and "brainwise" more developed in can cause some issues. We didn't have any major issues come up but the age discrepancy was very noticeable at some points in her school and, at times, it was noticeable to her that she "felt" younger than these kids. In fact, some of her best friends that she clicked with in high school happened to be a year behind her school. Go figure.

Now my son has a December birthday and so he only has a few kids older than him. We've never really noticed any maturity discrepancies through his schooling experience (he is a sophomore now).
Don't you think you just proved my point? As I said, redshirting is making the de facto start age 6 instead of 5 and it makes problems for those who are following the age guidelines. And because so many people are doing it, the rest of us feel pressure (herd mentality) to hold our kids back for the exact reasons you just pointed out.

As I said, it irks me. I understand there are valid reasons for some kids, but I am starting to believe a big portion of these kids who should be in kindergarten are being held back because that is what everyone else is doing.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Don't you think you just proved my point? As I said, redshirting is making the de facto start age 6 instead of 5 and it makes problems for those who are following the age guidelines. And because so many people are doing it, the rest of us feel pressure (herd mentality) to hold our kids back for the exact reasons you just pointed out.

As I said, it irks me. I understand there are valid reasons for some kids, but I am starting to believe a big portion of these kids who should be in kindergarten are being held back because that is what everyone else is doing.
Yes. I was agreeing with you.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes. I was agreeing with you.
OK, sorry - I couldn't tell. I guess I read something into your post that wasn't there. My apologies.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
OK, sorry - I couldn't tell. I guess I read something into your post that wasn't there. My apologies.
Probably my underlying frustration at parents who try to work the system to make their kids the biggest and best at everything. Ticks me off and I especially liked your statement about there being a herd mentality that you find irksome. That's exactly how I feel!

I do think that that maybe out of a whole kindergarten class, there might be ONE or TWO kids who should have been given the opportunity of a late start. I'm just astounded at the number of kids there are that do this. I think they outnumber the kids following the guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia